Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Watch out or they'll get you!

Wikiposts

Watch out or they'll get you!

Old May 18th 2004, 10:46 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by whisky
I now go everywhere in cruise control, but when I first started using it I was forever pressing the wrong buttons.

Whisky
Not sure how that would help. The speed limit seems to change so often that you would forever having to be dropping out of it. Well around inner Melbourne it does. Maybe not where you are.

It's not just speed cameras round here, but also red light cameras (a much more honourable thing IMHO). Driving round we have seen about one a day being triggered and by people who don't just squeeze through on the tail of a legitimate junction-crosser but who seem to think that roaring across at full speed a couple of seconds after it's turned red is safe. Yikes!

Mark
Old May 18th 2004, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

The whole system on the roads is tosh.

If you are going anywhere, by the time it is signposted you are probably just going past the turning.

It tells you 100klms an hour and should you blink at the wrong time when passing the sign to go down to 80 klms thats it you have had it cos you don't get another signpost to tell you.

I have got to say, this is one of my hates in Oz.

We won't go into those that actually use the road:scared: :scared: :scared:

Whisky
Old May 19th 2004, 12:56 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The Bloke will have a real go at me if he reads this one, cos we argued about it the other day, but here goes. Aussie drivers seem to think that the speed limit means they HAVE to drive at that speed. So you'll be in a string of traffic poodling along at 80, get to the 100km sign, and they all go up to 100 - and make snide comments about people who stay at 80. Then it goes back down to 80 so they all go down again, then 60, then 100 - I said when I learn to drive, I'll pootle around at 60 cos otherwise I'll be scared of missing all the signs, & I that in the UK the speed is the "limit" and you can drive at anything (within reason) up to the limit, but he says here you should drive as close to the limit as possible, even if you would really prefer to be driving slower. Almost like a compulsory speed, rather than a "top" speed.
Any Aussies out there got views on that one?
Old May 19th 2004, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
The Bloke will have a real go at me if he reads this one, cos we argued about it the other day, but here goes. Aussie drivers seem to think that the speed limit means they HAVE to drive at that speed. So you'll be in a string of traffic poodling along at 80, get to the 100km sign, and they all go up to 100 - and make snide comments about people who stay at 80. Then it goes back down to 80 so they all go down again, then 60, then 100 - I said when I learn to drive, I'll pootle around at 60 cos otherwise I'll be scared of missing all the signs, & I that in the UK the speed is the "limit" and you can drive at anything (within reason) up to the limit, but he says here you should drive as close to the limit as possible, even if you would really prefer to be driving slower. Almost like a compulsory speed, rather than a "top" speed.
Any Aussies out there got views on that one?
You're quite right - that does seem to be the norm. My husband is always whinging about people who seem to be going 'slow' - he often makes the comment - 'don't they know the limit is 60, what are they doing 40 for?'.

I think the consensus here is that you should keep up with the general speed of the traffic - a slow driver in a fast traffic flow is supposedly just as dangerous as one moving too fast in slow traffic.

You wouldn't want to drive in Sydney in peak hour if you can't keep up with the traffic! Driving through the Harbour tunnel is truly terrifying sometimes considering the speed and volume of the traffic.. and the closeness of the tunnel walls.
Old May 19th 2004, 2:45 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nickyc
You're quite right - that does seem to be the norm. My husband is always whinging about people who seem to be going 'slow' - he often makes the comment - 'don't they know the limit is 60, what are they doing 40 for?'.

I think the consensus here is that you should keep up with the general speed of the traffic - a slow driver in a fast traffic flow is supposedly just as dangerous as one moving too fast in slow traffic.

You wouldn't want to drive in Sydney in peak hour if you can't keep up with the traffic! Driving through the Harbour tunnel is truly terrifying sometimes considering the speed and volume of the traffic.. and the closeness of the tunnel walls.
i totally agree, sydney is mental. is it me or are u meant to slam on the brakes just cos u feel like it. ive worked out that if u wake up and get into your car here and the horn dont work. u better take the day off work and get it fixed
:scared:
ive also had 2 parking tickets already, my fault. well one of them was . the other , the guy chased me down the street writing my number down. turns out he doesnt need to stick it to the car
Old May 19th 2004, 9:35 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nickyc

IMO the Parramatta Road is one of the worst places because of the narrow lanes and the huge lorries. They struggle to stay in lane to passing is interesting. Harbour tunnel feels wide compared to that. Another nightmare is the M5 tunnel. Always put your air on recycle going through there as the toxicity levels are enourmous and you can see the fog of fumes. I would hate to be stuck in a jam in there. Not good for the lungs.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

my husband alan has had three speeding tickets in 7 months! one on our drive from sydney up to tweed when we first arrived and two on sextons hill, banora point - a known blackspot where the limit jumps from 110 to 80 up the hill. so, 6 points on his licence already, not a blemish ever before in 30 years driving in the uk!
it is so frustrating!
ABC, do you know if nsw has similar rules to qld ref the 3 years?
karen
Old May 19th 2004, 10:04 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by karenvirginia
my husband alan has had three speeding tickets in 7 months! one on our drive from sydney up to tweed when we first arrived and two on sextons hill, banora point - a known blackspot where the limit jumps from 110 to 80 up the hill. so, 6 points on his licence already, not a blemish ever before in 30 years driving in the uk!
it is so frustrating!
karen
On a public holiday that would have been 12 points and bye bye license.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:05 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

We try and drive as close to the limit as possible. So, if it's a 110 km/h zone, we'll try and sit at 105-115 for the most part.

Our Tasmanian friends are the exception to this; they'll blithely do 70 in a 100 zone.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

karenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to allkarenvirginia is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
On a public holiday that would have been 12 points and bye bye license.
yes, i keep reminding him and he hates it!
i COULD say i was driving but don't want to tarnish my unblemished record!
Old May 19th 2004, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

Why is everyone in such a hurry? Aren't you all supposed to be chilled out, cracking open tinnies and relaxing in the Aussie sunshine and shirking your responsibilities?

I'm sure that was one of my reasons for wanting to migrate

sandy
Old May 19th 2004, 10:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Why is everyone in such a hurry? Aren't you all supposed to be chilled out, cracking open tinnies and relaxing in the Aussie sunshine and shirking your responsibilities?

sandy

G
Old May 19th 2004, 10:47 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by karenvirginia
it is so frustrating!
karen
Yes, its the same in NSW, and I am pretty sure that the rules for this are the same in each state.
Also, any points on one state licence will be transferred to the new state license if you move interstate.

NSW Road Transport Authority
What if I hold a licence from another State or Territory and commit a driving offence in NSW?
Details of any demerit point offences committed in NSW will be sent to your home State and included on your driving record.

If you exceed 12 or more points in a three-year period, the RTA will withdraw your right to drive in NSW.

Old May 19th 2004, 11:03 am
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sandy.l

sandy
Well it's certainly one of the reasons why I'm going!
It's too hectic here. Where's the fire?....oops now there's a thought!
Sun Sea Surf and...

So what if you're going below the limit!! I've driven about Sydney many times and never had a problem...just don't get stressed! You will get there in the end. Chill! Guys!