Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Watch out or they'll get you!

Watch out or they'll get you!

Old May 18th 2004, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Watch out or they'll get you!

Driving out here is so much easier than back in England, as where we live the traffic is pretty low. The truble is your speed tends to creep up on you. I got as nasty surprise in the post yesterday - a speeding fine of $100 for my husband, and a photo of our car speeding.

Luckily he was going 12k over, if he had been doing 1k more he would have got $180 fine and 3 points It also says on the form he gets 1 point. Apparently you are only allowed 9 points out here before you lose your licence. So that will be pretty easy to get in 2 years!

I have been driving really carefully since!
Old May 18th 2004, 9:27 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OOpps!! Maybe he'll decide to stay in the UK now instead of coming back over!
Old May 18th 2004, 9:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch out or they'll get you!

Originally posted by tinaj
Driving out here is so much easier than back in England, as where we live the traffic is pretty low. The truble is your speed tends to creep up on you. I got as nasty surprise in the post yesterday - a speeding fine of $100 for my husband, and a photo of our car speeding.

Luckily he was going 12k over, if he had been doing 1k more he would have got $180 fine and 3 points It also says on the form he gets 1 point. Apparently you are only allowed 9 points out here before you lose your licence. So that will be pretty easy to get in 2 years!

We were travelling in Victoria a couple of years ago. Me and my wife in one car, my son and his girlfriend in another.
He was caught speeding and given a fine and a month's ban on the spot:scared:
We saw speed traps everywhere

There were also several RBT (random breath test) road blocks where EVERYONE is tested . This can be any place anywhere
at any time of day.

You have been warned:lecture:

G
Old May 18th 2004, 10:09 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotta pay for the copshop Friday arvo barbie pissup somehow...
Old May 18th 2004, 11:13 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Wait for public holiday time. Double the points and double the cops.
Old May 18th 2004, 11:21 pm
ABCDiamond

You mentioned 9 points ?
I think it is 12 points in 3 years.
Or 5 points in 1 year if you are a learner.

Old May 19th 2004, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

I've been caught twice here, once by photo, second by bloody flashing lights. Bas%@#DS.

I now go everywhere in cruise control, but when I first started using it I was forever pressing the wrong buttons.

Whisky
Old May 19th 2004, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by whisky
I've been caught twice here, once by photo, second by bloody flashing lights. Bas%@#DS.

I now go everywhere in cruise control, but when I first started using it I was forever pressing the wrong buttons.

Whisky

Same here. Use CC just taking my son up the hill to school. It's not a drama 'cos the roads aren't so crowded but it does make you wonder about the point of having anything fast (Note to Wife, this argument is not valid in conjunction with any discussions about buying motorcycles!!)

Sometimes you see people skimming past you at 20k above and wonder how they get away with it.
Old May 19th 2004, 2:05 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Nibbs
Sometimes you see people skimming past you at 20k above and wonder how they get away with it.
Probably driving a company vehicle.
No points, just a larger $$ fine !!

Old May 19th 2004, 2:42 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

company Ute.. . kept the photo/form they sent.. good one for the photo album lol .This is how they come off the speed camera...not very good photo , on the same page there is another photo of just the licence plate number.. but I cropped that off of course. Picture was Gateway MWY Tingalpa .. doing over 15k but less than 30 ( not very fast! geeze) ... fine $135 ( didn't get points.. used brit licence at the time)

cheers

P.s isn't Victoria having to pay back millions of dollars.. through faulty cameras. There was something on the news about it the other night. And I actually heard during the Grand Prix the fines from speeding cameras they collected were more than "they" gained from the grand prix itself, that includes hotels and restaurants too.. it's all revenue raising!

There was also something on the beeb web site the other day, where police are offically saying that the roads are more dangerous by using speed cameras... ie they are relying on cameras and not police cars /police.. so there are more drunks on our roads as they are not getting caught by cameras of course.
Attached Thumbnails Watch out or they'll get you!-speeding-1.jpg  
Old May 19th 2004, 2:56 am

It wouldn't surprise me. The speed cameras around here are known and the traffic suddenly slows on the motorway when it approaches them. Were RBTs ever legalised in the UK or are they still considered against human rights? Problem is the police do ethnically profile both here and the UK hence the opposition is Britain.

The Anzac bridge, start of parramatta road and Moore Park are where I regularly see speed traps. All are just around a fast corner where it is easy but safe to speed. Lucky for me there are enough doing 15 or more over otherwise ( they seem to ignore my 10 over) I would be licenseless by now.

British police forces do have recruitment problems and luckily they recognise that fighting crime is a bigger priority to revenue raising. I do like the idea of speeders subsidising taxpayers but then again I have never been caught YET.
Old May 19th 2004, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

One of the people we met at the Sunny Coast meet up said you only needed 9 points to lose your licence? I know it was 12 back in England. Any ideas anyone????
Old May 19th 2004, 7:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

One of the people we met at the Sunny Coast meet up said you only needed 9 points to lose your licence? I know it was 12 back in England. Any ideas anyone????
Think that was me, I have to drive v e r y slow now after my speeding tickets sad thing is the highest speed was 64klm an hour! but thats speeding so now I have to chug around in third gear. Since found out it is 12 points, think I was confused with the bit where you can only lose 9points per 3 year period. If you see a v e r y slow car wave its probably me and sticking to the speed limit does annoy other drivers they really sit on your tail very annoying. Best place to get caught is at school time, they hide in the bushes in one direction then change to other side of road and try to get you again on the way home!

Last edited by jad n rich; May 19th 2004 at 9:05 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 8:37 am
ABCDiamond

A warning letter is sent when seven demerit points are accumulated in a three year period.

If you are an open licence holder and accumulate 12 or more demerit points in three years, you will be sent a Notice of Accumulation of Demerit Points advising you that you may choose:

1. Suspension of your driver licence for the required suspension period; or
2. Continue driving on a good driving behaviour period for one year. beware of this option

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/d...licencedemerit

and

Offence and Fine/Points awarded

Old May 19th 2004, 8:39 am

Suprised Dracupg has'nt been checking up on us for this thread. Next thing we know all out car insurances are invalidated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.