Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Watch out builders this place is full of Asbestos

Watch out builders this place is full of Asbestos

Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:46 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watch out builders this place is full of Asbestos

I was shocked at how bad people dont really bother about asbestos here. They are quite happy to rip it out with just a daft wee paper dust mask
has anyone else found this here?
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Watch out builders this place is full of Asbestos

Originally Posted by soapy
I was shocked at how bad people dont really bother about asbestos here. They are quite happy to rip it out with just a daft wee paper dust mask
The state government is planning on introducing a scheme where houses have to get an "asbestos pink slip" to be sold.There are a lot of weatherboard houses that people are renovating so the related diseases should be with us for a while yet. Asbestos is expensive to handle so I am not suprised by your observations.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 8:58 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Soapy, working in building services back here, i find that totally mental, i have seen contracts back here held up for 6 months due to asbestos being found in boilerhouses.

In UK by law asbestos removal contractors tow a mobile shower unit behind them and when job done, they get thouroughly cleaned up.

Dust Mask, total madness, if i ever come across it and they ask me to do it with a mask only, two words will come forth, one to do with sex one to do with travel.
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:04 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
The state government is planning on introducing a scheme where houses have to get an "asbestos pink slip" to be sold.There are a lot of weatherboard houses that people are renovating so the related diseases should be with us for a while yet. Asbestos is expensive to handle so I am not suprised by your observations.
its about time mate !
as for being expensive?
heres a wee story.
our son whos 20 managed to get a job. we were really happy because it was hard labour a wee shock to his system.
after about a week. we were sittin out the back garden when he came home. "guess what i was doing today" smashing up asbestos
the wife told him to strip to his underpants and threw his clothes in the bin.
he was given a paper mask (after about half an hour of work) and no warning about the stuff.
we told him to tell his boss that he was no allowed to work with it again or he would have to leave. 2 days later he was given his last pay packet. we were quite happy though.
it shocks me how many people dont even wear a mask here or care about it at all.

soapy
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:08 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

its about time mate !
as for being expensive?
heres a wee story.
our son whos 20 managed to get a job. we were really happy because it was hard labour a wee shock to his system.
after about a week. we were sittin out the back garden when he came home. "guess what i was doing today" smashing up asbestos
he was given a paper mask (after about half an hour of work) and no warning about the stuff.
we told him to tell his boss that he was no allowed to work with it again or he would have to leave. 2 days later he was given his last pay packet. we were quite happy though.
it shocks me how many people dont even wear a mask here or care about it at all.

soapy
Not so many years ago asbestos dust used to be used as artificial snow in theatres :scared:

I remember when nearly everyone had an asbestos garage. As kids we used to saw the stuff up

No body knew any different (officially).

G
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:10 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by madsad
Soapy, working in building services back here, i find that totally mental, i have seen contracts back here held up for 6 months due to asbestos being found in boilerhouses.

In UK by law asbestos removal contractors tow a mobile shower unit behind them and when job done, they get thouroughly cleaned up.

Dust Mask, total madness, if i ever come across it and they ask me to do it with a mask only, two words will come forth, one to do with sex one to do with travel.
ha ha ha ya maddy. but its true. as bondi says a new law is about to start here. wait till u see the price of house drop or rise because of it.
i work for a tool store here and i get builders in every day asking for masks, while dusting themself down. i chased a guy once for this. told him why and he claims no one bothers their arse about it and i was over acting. i gave him the sex and travel line.
now i dont even help them with a choice, just point out where the mask are.
its mental
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:12 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by Grayling
Not so many years ago asbestos dust used to be used as artificial snow in theatres :scared:

G
ffs, your kidding :scared:
our biggest worry is our son, we now know he wont tell us if hes working with it, so he can keep his job...job=money=beer
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

ffs, your kidding :scared:
our biggest worry is our son, we now know he wont tell us if hes working with it, so he can keep his job...job=money=beer
It's true.

For many years the risks from asbestos were covered up until a few high profile court cases against the main manufacturers.

I am in my mid 50's and when I was in my 20's and asbestos was a very common building material. Used to be used in ironing board covers, table mats etc.etc. :scared:

G
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:25 pm
Master of verbal pish©

It's true.

For many years the risks from asbestos were covered up until a few high profile court cases against the main manufacturers.

I am in my mid 50's and when I was in my 20's and asbestos was a very common building material. Used to be used in ironing board covers, table mats etc.etc. :scared:

G
WOW !!!!
it gets worse.
it seems to be treated like a joke here. like its cool to do cos it dangerous if u know what i mean.
im a big man im too hard to be bothered with a mask !!! all that shit
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

It's true.

G

Gawwd..now you've made me fel old G... i remember mum having an asbestos ironing board! :scared:
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:28 pm
Bitter and twisted

WOW !!!!
it gets worse.
it seems to be treated like a joke here. like its cool to do cos it dangerous if u know what i mean.
im a big man im too hard to be bothered with a mask !!! all that shit
Soapy

The risks are known about in Australia.

Look at this:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E16942,00.html

Scary.

G
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

its about time mate !
as for being expensive?
heres a wee story.

soapy
Maybe have a word with workcover or log an incident here. http://www.workcover.nsw.gov.au/Quic...on/Default.htm
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Soapy

The risks are known about in Australia.

Look at this:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...E16942,00.html

Scary.

G
Here's another one:

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2004/s1113776.htm

G
Old Nov 26th 2004, 9:56 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I posted about this a while ago, your dead right the macho image here is suicidal. My dad's got asbestosis eventually it will kill him, the only time he's had contact with it was during the 50's when he was an apprentice. It has a latent period of between 20-60 yrs from breathing in particles to cancer developing. chances are a good many people are going to be affected in the years to come.
While there's good money being made on property renovations I think I'll stick with the new build work, no asbestos used now. Still mdf is widely used and that's carcinogenic and the cement sheeting is also bad news if your not all masked up so no getting away from the health and safety issues.
There are regulations governing removal but methods are expensive and that's why young inexperienced lads are exploited
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:33 am
Master of verbal pish©

Originally Posted by cresta57
I posted about this a while ago, your dead right the macho image here is suicidal. My dad's got asbestosis eventually it will kill him, the only time he's had contact with it was during the 50's when he was an apprentice. It has a latent period of between 20-60 yrs from breathing in particles to cancer developing. chances are a good many people are going to be affected in the years to come.
While there's good money being made on property renovations I think I'll stick with the new build work, no asbestos used now. Still mdf is widely used and that's carcinogenic and the cement sheeting is also bad news if your not all masked up so no getting away from the health and safety issues.
There are regulations governing removal but methods are expensive and that's why young inexperienced lads are exploited
i watched my pals dad die from it and it wasnt nice i tell ya. this so far is the only thing that has shocked me about Oz. but no one really seems to care, well the PM was on a radio station yesterday babbling but not really saying anything.

thanx for the links guys ill have a wee gander at them now.

soapy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.