Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Watch the baggage weight Emirates!!

Watch the baggage weight Emirates!!

Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:59 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Watch the baggage weight Emirates!!

OK, I admit we were a bit stupid.... we turned up at Birmingham airport knowing we'd be overweight with the baggage, but thought we might just get away with it..... WRONG! (I should just point out we're on a 457 visa, so not entitled to the double allowance)
They wanted £547 for the extra 20 kilo's we had! We sweet talked the girl on the check-in and they allowed us 28 kilos each and had to distribute the extra around our hand luggage which was well under, PHEW! You are allowed 7 kilos as hand luggage and the bags were all weighed, so beware.

Once we had re-distributed the extra weight into a black bin bag as carry on baggage, we were allowed to board and the girl turned a 'blind eye' to the bit extra we had in the suitcases. (Slipped her £30 in a thank-you card!)

We're at Dubai airport now, the flight has been delayed 4 hours. Oh well, these things happen, my little one (7 yrs) is fast asleep and the wife is shopping... Help! :-)

To anyone contemplating the BIG move, I know we haven't even got there yet, and so can't realistically offer sound advice. But the one thing I've discovered over the past few month is that it's very easy to not do it! To say, "Oh, we could have gone to live in Australia in 2006, but chose not too"
It WILL test your relationship to the limit and you will find yourself in the most stressful situation I guess you'll ever be in, but providing your relationship is strong and you have the desire, you can do it and we're confident that we're making the right move.
When that warm breeze hits us as we leave airport terminal in Perth tomorrow night, it will be confirmed!

Cheers
Neil.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:07 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch the baggage weight Emirates!!

Well good news on the baggage front. Scheduled airlines are reasonably ok with the small amount of excess baggage but 20kg was taking the pee really given its nearly another persons allowance. Congrats on a shrewd bit of negotiation and bribery lol.

You are quite right though - the process of moving your entire family and life to the otherside of the world can be stressful. But remember that its only as stressful as you make it. Roll with the punches and "she'll be right".

Wishing you well in your new life here.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 12:13 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

i feared this when we came over on our 457 so we send some luggage ahead

for 45kilos it cost us 178pounds with a company at birmingham airport .. who put it on the same flight as us ...

emirates charge us 1% of the first class ticket per kilo .. yet charge companys who send stuff a lot lot less

we were still about 8kilos over when we checked in by they where fine about it
Old Jan 6th 2006, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

The Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the roughThe Corderys is a jewel in the rough

Your right, It's very stressful but it is worth it, good luck with the rest of your journey. Just brace yourself for that hot wind mate, we're up to 37 degrees today.
Your new life awaits!!! Better to try and to fail, to have never tried at all. Saying that it's much better to try and suceed and I wish your family every success.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cam_uk
i feared this when we came over on our 457 so we send some luggage ahead

for 45kilos it cost us 178pounds with a company at birmingham airport .. who put it on the same flight as us ...

emirates charge us 1% of the first class ticket per kilo .. yet charge companys who send stuff a lot lot less

we were still about 8kilos over when we checked in by they where fine about it
Hi,

What was the company called,think we may have to look at doing something like this.

Claire
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:12 am
birmingham to brisbane

cam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nicecam_uk is just really nice

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi,

What was the company called,think we may have to look at doing something like this.

Claire
i'll find the paper work out and put the details up here for ya tomorrow
Old Jan 6th 2006, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cam_uk
i'll find the paper work out and put the details up here for ya tomorrow
Thanks!!
Old Jan 6th 2006, 7:04 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

You've got me worried now.

We booked with Travelocity and have been told we have the allowance even though its not on our tickets.
E-mailed emirates and they say it should be on our tickets because though the checkin staff will be able to see the allowance on our booking they may not allow it as it's not on our ticket
The customer support say they can see it on the system and the checkin people will be able to see it so what is the problem you would think.

Anyone flown with emirates without it saying 40kg on the ticket?

Kevin
Old Jan 6th 2006, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

dave bayliss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
OK, I admit we were a bit stupid.... we turned up at Birmingham airport knowing we'd be overweight with the baggage, but thought we might just get away with it..... WRONG! (I should just point out we're on a 457 visa, so not entitled to the double allowance)
They wanted £547 for the extra 20 kilo's we had! We sweet talked the girl on the check-in and they allowed us 28 kilos each and had to distribute the extra around our hand luggage which was well under, PHEW! You are allowed 7 kilos as hand luggage and the bags were all weighed, so beware.

Once we had re-distributed the extra weight into a black bin bag as carry on baggage, we were allowed to board and the girl turned a 'blind eye' to the bit extra we had in the suitcases. (Slipped her £30 in a thank-you card!)

We're at Dubai airport now, the flight has been delayed 4 hours. Oh well, these things happen, my little one (7 yrs) is fast asleep and the wife is shopping... Help! :-)

To anyone contemplating the BIG move, I know we haven't even got there yet, and so can't realistically offer sound advice. But the one thing I've discovered over the past few month is that it's very easy to not do it! To say, "Oh, we could have gone to live in Australia in 2006, but chose not too"
It WILL test your relationship to the limit and you will find yourself in the most stressful situation I guess you'll ever be in, but providing your relationship is strong and you have the desire, you can do it and we're confident that we're making the right move.
When that warm breeze hits us as we leave airport terminal in Perth tomorrow night, it will be confirmed!

Cheers
Neil.
hi could you please tell me what the double allowence is about
regards dave
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:03 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl

We booked with Travelocity and have been told we have the allowance even though its not on our tickets.
E-mailed emirates and they say it should be on our tickets because though the checkin staff will be able to see the allowance on our booking they may not allow it as it's not on our ticket
The customer support say they can see it on the system and the checkin people will be able to see it so what is the problem you would think.

Kevin
I'm in the same situation...
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:41 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Kevin
Hi kevin,
I've read a couple of threads on here about people flying with emmerates nad not being allowed their excess baggage as it wasn't on the ticket. Do you have time to get onto travelocity and get new tickets issued with the extra baggage allowance on them? There might be an administration charge but better safe than sorry.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 10:48 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Kevin
We booked our visa validation (holiday) flight through a travel agent with Emirates - only had 20kg allce but when I rang Emirates and told them we were bringing Dive gear so we could get the extra 10kg to give us 30kg each they said they didn't re-issue tickets and as it was now in their system it would be ok. Got to Manchester Airport with 30kg each + about 6kg each as carry-on and had no problems at all - same at Brisbane on the return flight so don't worry too much about your ticket not showing it. Although Brisbane did pull us for excess over and above the 90kg we were allowed between us - but that was our fault LOL Singapore was teh same for the emigration flight - booked online and got 20kg, rang and explained it was a PR emigration and they upped us to 40kg on the system - again no probs at the Airport (Manchester again)
Old Jan 7th 2006, 2:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Excess Baggage Co are located in a lot of UK airport terminals - they are probably the company that cam_uk used. Used them myself from Heathrow.

www.excessbaggage.co.uk
Old Jan 7th 2006, 6:15 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Watch the baggage weight Emirates!!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Excess Baggage Co are located in a lot of UK airport terminals - they are probably the company that cam_uk used. Used them myself from Heathrow.

www.excessbaggage.co.uk

Does anybody know if you are flying via the US with Air NZ and therefore allowed 64kg each, would you be able to double this to 128kg each if emigrating?

(not sure how you'd carry it around though!!!)

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Jan 7th 2006, 8:50 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

www.excessbaggage.co.uk
That must have been for all the Carlton Mid, chocolate, paxo, beer etc was it??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.