Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wasps in Melbourne?

Wasps in Melbourne?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:21 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wasps in Melbourne?

I'm a complete wasp-o-phobe, could someone tell me how common it is to see european wasps in Melbourne? I'm not too bothered about wasps that go about their own business etc, more concerned with the ones like we get over here when you're trying to eat your dinner or sip a beer in the garden and they won't leave you alone! If you was sat outside enjoying a tinnie in the summer/autumn, would you expect to be constantly pestered like you do over here?

I've seen the site that says now they've been introduced to Oz, they are there to stay, but just how common are they?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:33 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wasps in Melbourne?

Originally Posted by G77
I'm a complete wasp-o-phobe, could someone tell me how common it is to see european wasps in Melbourne? I'm not too bothered about wasps that go about their own business etc, more concerned with the ones like we get over here when you're trying to eat your dinner or sip a beer in the garden and they won't leave you alone! If you was sat outside enjoying a tinnie in the summer/autumn, would you expect to be constantly pestered like you do over here?

I've seen the site that says now they've been introduced to Oz, they are there to stay, but just how common are they?
Yep, you see them, especially about this time of the year, but not as much as the summer in England. The odd one floating about somewhere.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

seanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really niceseanandmaria is just really nice

Originally Posted by G77

Been here 8 months and can honestly say i havent seen one of those horrible things that chase you around the garden in england. We have some wasps, but they dont seem to bother at all, its the bloody flies that drive you nuts!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 9:52 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Snakes, spiders and flies I'm not too worried about - it's being chased round the garden by a yellow and black flying monster! I can't eat or drink outside in the summer here without being paranoid about them - sad I know!

Good to know you don't get many over there
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

The Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of lightThe Bevs is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by G77
Snakes, spiders and flies I'm not too worried about - it's being chased round the garden by a yellow and black flying monster! I can't eat or drink outside in the summer here without being paranoid about them - sad I know!

Good to know you don't get many over there
I'm with you on this, they scare the cr@p out of me.
They don't bother you much here though.
Sue