Wasps

Old Nov 28th 2006, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice
Default Wasps

Does anybody know who you call to get rid of wasps? My daughter has just got in the pool and there are around 30 flying around her!

We're in Brisbane by the way!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 7:51 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wasps

What kind of wasp are they? European or Aussie?

Look in your phone directory for a local pest guy who can come spray the nest (presuming you know where the nest is)

Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

iPom, not sure if they are Aussie or European, they buzz in the normal way!!! What is the difference? We haven't been able to locate the nest, they only seem to come in the arvo and seem to gather around the skimmer box?!?!
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hoots nan
iPom, not sure if they are Aussie or European, they buzz in the normal way!!! What is the difference? We haven't been able to locate the nest, they only seem to come in the arvo and seem to gather around the skimmer box?!?!
Well, European wasps are the black and yellow things we get in the UK. Aussie wasps are different, though there are literally thousands of species but you can usually tell them apart... Different body shape and colour etc.

If they're at the skimmer box, I would probably suggest you use a Mortein outdoor spray around the area to see if it stops them visiting. But it might be an idea to approach a pest person anyway. A phone call will probably yeild you some good advice.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Had a look at the Mortein today but it says and i quote "HARMFUL TO BEES" "Do not spray near bees",
so do you think i should?????
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:28 am
Account Closed

Had a look at the Mortein today but it says and i quote "HARMFUL TO BEES" "Do not spray near bees",
so do you think i should?????

I think given they're wasps, you should be fine!
I think they put that on there to make sure you don't go destroying native bees or anything.
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Does anybody know who you call to get rid of wasps? My daughter has just got in the pool and there are around 30 flying around her!

We're in Brisbane by the way!
The usual way to get rid of nests to roll up a newspaper and light the end. Place under nest and ..... BBQ'd wasps!

Of course a risk assessment is required to ensure you dont burn down the house.... :scared:

WW
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:37 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

European wasps are now well established in Australia and are spreading:

http://www.museum.vic.gov.au/wasps/

I was harassed by one myself last week in Brisbane and was quite surprised by how widespread they now are.

G
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks iPom, i'll have a go tomorrow, will get someone to let you know if i end up in hospital with multiple stings!!! :scared:
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:42 am
Account Closed

Thanks iPom, i'll have a go tomorrow, will get someone to let you know if i end up in hospital with multiple stings!!! :scared:
Hang around and watch where they go... then you can locate the nest. Prob nearby. Be careful, ok?
Old Nov 28th 2006, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iPom
Hang around and watch where they go... then you can locate the nest. Prob nearby. Be careful, ok?
Ok will do, thanks (hopefully!!!)
Old Nov 28th 2006, 11:03 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Try and work out what type they are. If they are paper wasps they are evil little buggers and as soon as you spray they will attack you, so you need to be ready to spray and run (pushing small children behind you). Their nests look like the pic on this link and if you disturb them they attack too (vibration from mower or whipper snipper will do it). I disturbed a nest the other day and had about 5 sting me round the cheek and eye before I got out of range. I went back with dangerous chemicals and won round two.

Cheers,

DagBoy