Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wasn't Meant To Be..

Wasn't Meant To Be..

Old Oct 22nd 2012, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wasn't Meant To Be..

Originally Posted by Manc68
Cheers mate. Yes, the agents were a complete waste of time. That country needs to wake up and start to become good at other stuff other than digging holes in the ground and being controlled at the whim of China. It's a beautiful country but, I have to say, they are so naive and backward still. The irony is that when you are contesting for a job in the UK you are always up against such strong competition, however, you probably have a much better chance of landing the job simply because you know your interviewer is sharp as a razor and knows what they are looking for. In Oz, most would look at you with a vacant expression and you knew they just weren't grasping what you just said or explained to them. Light on but nobody home.
Cheers and good luck
It is probably just as well that you have decided not to go then.
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 9:57 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
It is probably just as well that you have decided not to go then.

Probably right, however, based upon my own experience, I think he's very close to the truth in his last post.

The lack of a diversified economy means that some people will really struggle to find work here now.

I think the government has squandered a real opportunity to support developing technologies while the economy was in good shape. Now that things seem to be cooling, it's too late

S
Old Oct 25th 2012, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting read. Hubby will probably be 55 and I will be 53 by the time we finally make the move, both highly qualified and experienced in our respective professions. We plan to take a year, maybe two, off and then see what happens, job-wise. Fortunately we are relatively comfortable financially, but it will nevertheless be hard going from our high earnings now to nothing or very little. Still, without the knowledge I can sell share of my business in a couple of years, I'd go mad..... and that means I will merrily be burning bridges before we move.

Oddly - or naively if your prefer - my admittedly limited experience of ageism is exactly the opposite of everyone else's. My mid 60's aunt has just finished a masters degree and started a new career and is doing nicely thank you very much (in Adelaide) and my mid forties cousin left town planning in the UK for a successful new career as a dental nurse (she wanted something less demanding to allow her more time with her kids), this in Sydney. I had hoped they would be typical; from what they tell me, they think they are. I don't want anything nearly as stressful as my current life, fingers crossed I will find it without having to give up work completely.....

Incidentally, my business in the UK employs very few people under 30, most are over 40, we need that depth of knowledge and experience and find it incredibly hard to recruit suitable individuals.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

Sol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant futureSol2Oz has a brilliant future

Ok, so I know that you've already decided your answer, Manc68, but is it possible to look for work from overseas? Just give it one more shot. I mean, how realistic would it be to look for work from the UK?

By the way, your posts were funny about the interviews - cracked me up