British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Washing Machines - UK or Oz ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/washing-machines-uk-oz-220805/)

irishmolly Mar 30th 2004 11:16 am

Washing Machines - UK or Oz ?

Hi,

Is it worthwhile buying a new front loading washing machine or waiting until we get to Brisbane to buy a new one (top or front) ?

We are putting together our list for Crown Removals and currently have an old front loader which is useless, if it is cost effective do you think I should buy now or wait until we arrive in Oz.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.

HUP Mar 30th 2004 11:23 am

Re: Washing Machines - UK or Oz ?

Originally posted by irishmolly

Any suggestions ?

Search the archives. The wimmin have had much banter on top and front loaders. (Joking ladies :D)

Trevglas Mar 30th 2004 11:23 am

I'd wait and buy one here, its a long way for the repairman to come if it goes wrong in the guarantee period!

Another reason for waiting till you get here is generally washing powders/liquids are formulated to match the habits of the country they are used in, which includes the type and design of the machine. Also, you will find that on the whole, water is softer here than most places in the UK, so local washing products dont contain so many additives (zeolites etc) as they do in the UK

You may find therefore that the washing powders here dont really do as good a job as those you currently use.

When you get here you will find that front loading machines are pretty thin on the ground, aussies love their top-loaders, and again washing powders generally are formulated for these machines.

You can get front loaders here (we have one), but be a bit over-generous with the powder or liquid, things get a little foamy!

Wendy&Mike Mar 30th 2004 11:26 am

If you are thinking of buying new i'd wait till you get to oz.
I brought i top loader when i got here & now regret it. The tub is huge and fits lots in, but it doesn't seem to get anything clean. I should have got a front loader. Or maybe its not the machine but because i'm on tank not town water??!!
wendy

ABCDiamond Mar 30th 2004 11:30 am

Originally posted by Wendy&Mike
If you are thinking of buying new i'd wait till you get to oz.
I brought i top loader when i got here & now regret it. The tub is huge and fits lots in, but it doesn't seem to get anything clean. I should have got a front loader. Or maybe its not the machine but because i'm on tank not town water??!!
wendy
It's the Machine !! My wife never realised how clean you can get clothes till I persuaded her to get a front loader. :D

Trevglas Mar 30th 2004 11:35 am

Agreed,

when my wife was in the UK, she was absolutely amazed when I took a pair of jeans I had been wearing whilst working under a car that leaked oil like the Exon Valdez, rubbed in some Asda laundry liquid and bunged them into the front loader.

The jeans came out spotless

irishmolly Mar 30th 2004 2:18 pm

Agreed !!!

1) Wait until Oz to buy new
2) Ensure I buy a front loading machine

Cheers all :beer:

16 weeks to go 'til Brisbane :)

Ozzy dog Mar 30th 2004 2:47 pm

Originally posted by irishmolly
Agreed !!!

1) Wait until Oz to buy new
2) Ensure I buy a front loading machine

Cheers all :beer:

16 weeks to go 'til Brisbane :)
Waiting will be good as Oz white goods (large kitchen appliances) are much better than here.

I used to work with a women from NZ and her partner works for Fisher Pykell (I think thats how you spell it?).

I got a huge double oven and a tumble dryer from him absolutely fantastic! Don't want to leave the oven but she assures me I can get one over there.

Unless its farily new and working well, don't take it.

Tracey.

ianj Mar 30th 2004 4:08 pm

Very bizarre. Not just a few days ago there was a post on here with regards to washing machines and the consensus there was take your front loader. If its on its last legs then don't but if it's not then do.

According to people on that thread Oz toploaders are renowned for making clothes appear grubby, inconsistent washing and damaging of clothes.

Oh well, which to believe. Personally I am taking mine (and I am a bloke, so whats that all about) but at the end of the day.....

The choice is yours. So some crap game show host once said......probably.

ABCDiamond Mar 30th 2004 9:33 pm

Originally posted by ianj
Very bizarre. Not just a few days ago there was a post on here with regards to washing machines and the consensus there was take your front loader. If its on its last legs then don't but if it's not then do.

According to people on that thread Oz toploaders are renowned for making clothes appear grubby, inconsistent washing and damaging of clothes.

Oh well, which to believe. Personally I am taking mine (and I am a bloke, so whats that all about) but at the end of the day.....

The choice is yours. So some crap game show host once said......probably.
Ahh, thats the OZ Top Loaders, we are saying to buy an OZ Front Loader. The Top Loaders are rubbish at cleaning clothes.

I'm a bloke too, and I just put a load of clothes in my Front Loader, sorry, in "MY Wifes" front loader. I wouldn't want her to think its my responsibility all the time :D

I agree to take a front loader, if its OK, but the orignal question was "Is it worthwhile buying a new front loading washing machine or waiting until we get to Brisbane to buy a new one
and the consensus is, I think, to buy a new Front Loader when they get here, not buy one in UK and ship it over almost immediately. It also seems to confirm that Top Loaders aren't much good.

Megalania Mar 30th 2004 9:52 pm

Pffft. More marketeer bolderdash.

Any difference in front / top load washing machine effectiveness can be largely explained by the greatly longer cycle times (up to 3 times longer) of front loaders. Soaking removes the difference.

ABCDiamond Mar 30th 2004 10:06 pm

Originally posted by Megalania
Pffft. More marketeer bolderdash.

Any difference in front / top load washing machine effectiveness can be largely explained by the greatly longer cycle times (up to 3 times longer) of front loaders. Soaking removes the difference.
A Highly probable reason. Our LG takes 2hrs 38min to do a whites wash. I think a top loader gets it done in 30 mins.

dotty Mar 30th 2004 11:41 pm

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
A Highly probable reason. Our LG takes 2hrs 38min to do a whites wash. I think a top loader gets it done in 30 mins.
2 hours 38 minutes!! That is why I wont buy a front loader, we often do 4 loads a day, so I'd have a washer on for 10 hours a day!

Trouble is our top loader is on its last legs, every time I put wash in I ask it nicely to last 3 more months. Its brilliant, it takes 8 pool towels at a time, has no agitator to wind up the clothes which was the old problem with them, and like Meg says, soak the stuff for 20 minutes if its really dirty and its as good as a front loader. They use scary amounts of water tho.

I'm buying anything new in the UK, I want my warranty to be valid not from the other side of the world.

ABCDiamond Mar 30th 2004 11:50 pm

Originally posted by dotty
2 hours 38 minutes!! That is why I wont buy a front loader, we often do 4 loads a day, so I'd have a washer on for 10 hours a day!

Trouble is our top loader is on its last legs, every time I put wash in I ask it nicely to last 3 more months. Its brilliant, it takes 8 pool towels at a time, has no agitator to wind up the clothes which was the old problem with them, and like Meg says, soak the stuff for 20 minutes if its really dirty and its as good as a front loader. They use scary amounts of water tho.

I'm buying anything new in the UK, I want my warranty to be valid not from the other side of the world.
Funny thing is that our LG has a mind of its own, it said 2h38m when it started, but it must have finished within 1 hour. I started it at 8.20, and it's already on the washing line and dried, and its now 10.40. The wash must have only taken about 1 hr today, maybe because it wasn't a full load.
It does also have a quick wash option for 35 minutes. Useful if you are in a hurry.

I agree about buying new in the country you will be in, whenever possible, to get the full warranty benefit.

JaneandJim Mar 31st 2004 12:08 am

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Funny thing is that our LG has a mind of its own, it said 2h38m when it started, but it must have finished within 1 hour. I started it at 8.20, and it's already on the washing line and dried, and its now 10.40. The wash must have only taken about 1 hr today, maybe because it wasn't a full load.
It does also have a quick wash option for 35 minutes. Useful if you are in a hurry.

I agree about buying new in the country you will be in, whenever possible, to get the full warranty benefit.
I have an LG front loader and it doesn't get my clothes clean. I'm using the correct powder (now;) ). What am I doing wrong?:confused: My Bosch didn't clean clothes in the UK either.

Jane :(