Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing Machines - UK or Oz ?

Washing Machines - UK or Oz ?

Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

I've got no problem with top loaders (mind you I'm only a guy), mine takes about 30 min and cleans fine. Just make sure you use the best powder. I started using Surf which gave average results but since going to Omo everything come out brill.

Thing about top loaders is Oz have sep room for washing m/c whereas in UK it's generally kept in kitchen under the bench. (well was when I was in UK).
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:17 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by JaneandJim
I have an LG front loader and it doesn't get my clothes clean. I'm using the correct powder (now ). What am I doing wrong? My Bosch didn't clean clothes in the UK either.

Jane
Put it on it's back.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:20 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Megalania
Put it on it's back.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Jane, the best soap powder in OZ is supposed to be Drive, according to some consumer article I glanced at. I'd also agree on OMO tho, only thing I've found here that cleans white socks.

It also did Dishwashers, Qwit powder $4.50, one of the cheaper powders was most effective apart from the super expensive power ball tablets which are about $13.00 a box!

Domestic goddess mode today
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:34 am
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Jane, the best soap powder in OZ is supposed to be Drive, according to some consumer article I glanced at. I'd also agree on OMO tho, only thing I've found here that cleans white socks.

It also did Dishwashers, Qwit powder $4.50, one of the cheaper powders was most effective apart from the super expensive power ball tablets which are about $13.00 a box!

Domestic goddess mode today
Come round and do my ironing then!

I use Omo, but I'll try Drive next time. Omo doesn't clean my white socks. The powerball tablets were the only thing that worked in our rental dishwasher, but they didn't fit so I had to break them up. We've moved our own dishwasher in now from the UK, so at least my dishes are clean! Funny thing here, though, they don't use salt in the dishwasher. I thought that helped the cleaning.

Slow day, today.

Jane
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Washing Machines - UK or Oz ?

I would buy one in UK and ship it. The spec here for frontloaders are no where near as good and are way more expensive..

Ours was shipped over and wasn't packed properly. We only insured it for UK replacement cost of 400 quid, and replacement here was $2300 for same spec (1000 quid). Instead we got it repaired with new drum and it is as good as new. Repair cost was really reasonable and it was covered by insurance anyway.

Secondly in my opinion the last thing you want to be doing when you arrive is replacing everything that you should have brought with you

Mash...

Originally posted by irishmolly
Hi,

Is it worthwhile buying a new front loading washing machine or waiting until we get to Brisbane to buy a new one (top or front) ?

We are putting together our list for Crown Removals and currently have an old front loader which is useless, if it is cost effective do you think I should buy now or wait until we arrive in Oz.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
Old Mar 31st 2004, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTEWe only insured it for UK replacement cost of 400 quid, and replacement here was $2300 for same spec (1000 quid). [/QUOTE]
Hellfire! At that price it's worth gambling on not getting the warranty benefit - I'll bet the majority of applicances only breakdown after 13 months anyway!
Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:00 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by mashiraz
I would buy one in UK and ship it. The spec here for frontloaders are no where near as good and are way more expensive..

Ours was shipped over and wasn't packed properly. We only insured it for UK replacement cost of 400 quid, and replacement here was $2300 for same spec (1000 quid). Instead we got it repaired with new drum and it is as good as new. Repair cost was really reasonable and it was covered by insurance anyway.

Secondly in my opinion the last thing you want to be doing when you arrive is replacing everything that you should have brought with you

Mash...
What brand and model was it ? That's some price difference.

Old Mar 31st 2004, 9:19 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good choice of front loaders at good guys in Capalaba, prices started from about $700.
Also having a dirty sock problem here though, my daughters have gone from the wash to the bin since we arrived!
Old Apr 10th 2004, 10:50 am
dmf
Forum Regular

dmf will become famous soon enough

We bought a Whirlpool front loader on arrival and it went wrong after 6 months - burnt out control panel! After a few discussions with Whirlpool they eventually agreed to replace the machine completely as there are months delay on getting a replacement control panel. New machine is delivered and guess what..... doesn't even last a week!!!! Won't spin, a 35 min wash takes over an hour ..... no technician available for a week as its Easter! Great. I assume it will be the control panel again. Thinking about asking for a complete refund and buying a different machine completely. If it can go wrong after 1 week or 6 months it will definitely go wrong after the 2 year warranty. Should have brought old machine!
At least we bought it here and the warranty is valid.

Dawn
Old Apr 10th 2004, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

blackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the roughblackcountrygirl is a jewel in the rough
Default Washing Machines

Oh dear Ive just bought a Whirlpool, this week. I had a Hoover front loader for 14yrs which I bought here in Oz and had very little trouble with it. I have always used Omo matic in my hoover and now in the whirlpool and my clothes are always clean.Try soaking socks in omo matic over night (not the concentrate ) and then wash if this doesn`t work try soaking in nappysan I know a lot of people swear by it but I`ve never used it myself. ( I also use warm or hot water,my husband is a mechanic and both machines got his work clothes clean
If this helps, my new machine cost $798 which is pretty good and bought at David Jones if theres any problem with it I know they will put it right they are a good store to deal with and they are not always as expensive as you would think.Hope this helps you guys

Sheila

Old Apr 10th 2004, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

lon2mel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by irishmolly
Hi,

Is it worthwhile buying a new front loading washing machine or waiting until we get to Brisbane to buy a new one (top or front) ?

We are putting together our list for Crown Removals and currently have an old front loader which is useless, if it is cost effective do you think I should buy now or wait until we arrive in Oz.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks.
oz is not like the uk,you dont end up tripping over dirty pants whilst frying your eggs because you front loader is wedged under you kitchen worktop!!in oz (well where i am anyway),we all have seperate laundry rooms where you have a nice toploader,better than going on you hands an knees loading a front loader.
its the first time we've had atoploader,and we prefer it.
good luck
Old Apr 11th 2004, 2:25 am
Badge

Originally posted by lon2mel
oz is not like the uk,you dont end up tripping over dirty pants whilst frying your eggs because you front loader is wedged under you kitchen worktop!!in oz (well where i am anyway),we all have seperate laundry rooms where you have a nice toploader,better than going on you hands an knees loading a front loader.
its the first time we've had atoploader,and we prefer it.
good luck
MrsB still likes to get on her hands and knees occasionally, as we have a front loader that I bought from mates for 50 quid. Works a treat with Omo Automatic.

I never knew you could boil wash whites, until Hevs told me, I did my best white shirt and it went to pure white!! And it was kind of cream before - I thought it was white though...I did all my 10 yr t-shirts and was amazed. spent hrs doing everything. even my running socks which are always muddy. I should be on TV.

BM

Old Apr 11th 2004, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

This thread is very distressing Praying to our old washing machine to keep working has failed, woke up on Thursday to see it had discharged a large load of water onto the laundry floor.

So is there any way to get a warranty on a OZ purchased washer that will be valid in the UK

Then which washer, as always all the shops here push LG (highest profit margin for them) but consumer mag say Whilrlpool which I now read are crap and constantly people say LG washers are total rubbish, know ours was 4 years broke down and over $400 to repair it.

Or am I doomed to the local laundromat for 3 months :scared: :scared:
Old Apr 11th 2004, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by dotty
This thread is very distressing Praying to our old washing machine to keep working has failed, woke up on Thursday to see it had discharged a large load of water onto the laundry floor.

So is there any way to get a warranty on a OZ purchased washer that will be valid in the UK

Then which washer, as always all the shops here push LG (highest profit margin for them) but consumer mag say Whilrlpool which I now read are crap and constantly people say LG washers are total rubbish, know ours was 4 years broke down and over $400 to repair it.

Or am I doomed to the local laundromat for 3 months :scared: :scared:
Dotty, why don't you just rent one for the time that you've got left here? Not sure if you have to sign a contract for a minimum period, but it might be worth asking?

Otherwise try the Trading Post. You might be able to pick something up for $100 to get you through.

If all else fails, when's your next hard rubbish collection? Might be able to pick up a bargain there

Regards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.