Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing Machines - the final discussion!

View Poll Results: Washing Machines - buy new and ship, or get one when you get there?
Buy a decent one in the UK and ship it
37.14%
Just buy one when you get there!
62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Washing Machines - the final discussion!

Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:14 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold
Default Washing Machines - the final discussion!

Ok you lot - it seems everyone has a different opinion - but I need a decision now cos my stuff is being shipped on Friday.

Everybody have your say - if you havent got a washing machine - or if you have an old knackered one - do you buy a new one here and ship it, or get one when you get to Oz?

Come on - have your say - lets see the results in really simple format so that simple folks like me can make a quick decision.

Thanks for taking part!

W.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Washing Machines - the final discussion!

We bought a Simpson front loader in Adelaide in a closing down sale for $650 last year. Its only 800rpm not brilliant & takes hours to do a wash cycle.

You can get Whirlpool, Bosch etc there but they are more like $1000.

Considering how cheap washing machines are in UK I would buy one here before I went if I had my time again.

Angelica
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:34 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Wanderlust
Ok you lot - it seems everyone has a different opinion - but I need a decision now cos my stuff is being shipped on Friday.

Everybody have your say - if you havent got a washing machine - or if you have an old knackered one - do you buy a new one here and ship it, or get one when you get to Oz?

Come on - have your say - lets see the results in really simple format so that simple folks like me can make a quick decision.

Thanks for taking part!

W.
God lord! We'll be having a poll on Bosch/Hoover/Zanussi next!!

BTW I havent voted - totally pointless!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

S Oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

We intended taking our seconhand Hotpoint..............until saturday when someone offered me 70 quid for it.........changed my mind
Old Jul 19th 2004, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

If you have one, you are shipping a container of stuff anyway and there is room, then take it.

However if you don't have one or it needs replacing anyway, then I personally would buy on when I get there because

a) have no warranty if it breaks down
b) There is a chance it could get damage in transit
c) The parts might not be available out there
d) If you are buying one straight away then you can think in UKP--AUD exchange rate. So if it costs $1000 for a new one, that is £400, which is only marginally more expensive than in the UK
e) If you don't want to spend that much - look out for a second hand one

Dave
Old Jul 19th 2004, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by NedKelly63
God lord! We'll be having a poll on Bosch/Hoover/Zanussi next!!

BTW I havent voted - totally pointless!
Almost as pointless as posting a message on a Poll thread, saying you are not going to vote!!!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 11:55 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by darkless
Almost as pointless as posting a message on a Poll thread, saying you are not going to vote!!!
There wasn't a poll option for 'I cant be arsed'.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 12:08 pm
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

Sorry Ned. If I do post a poll again, just for you I will add an "I can't be arsed to answer your daft question" option.

Any other useful poll additions to recommend?

W
Old Jul 19th 2004, 12:09 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by Wanderlust
Sorry Ned. If I do post a poll again, just for you I will add an "I can't be arsed to answer your daft question" option.

Any other useful poll additions to recommend?

W
Thanks
Old Jul 19th 2004, 12:15 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

we intended to buy everything new when we got out there, basically because its no use taking a washing machine that may break down and end up iwth a useless warranty. (ours wouldnt have been covered)
There are lots of cheapo-ish places that give you a generous discount when buying a few items (eg fridge,freezer, washing machine, dishwasher) with cash.
And its not really too expensive to buy stuff new (starting from scratch) to completely refurnish a house - I ve just managed it over the past 2 months on a nurses wage, so if I can do it, anyone can!!! yes a lot of its second hand, but Im not too bothered!

sue
(glad to be able to post something useful for a change!!)
Old Jul 19th 2004, 12:49 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi,

I would definitely recommend buying in the UK and shipping as they're much cheaper here. As for the warranty. You'll get 2 years cover if staying in the UK and only 12 months if taking it to Oz. If it breaks down in Oz and they don't have the parts you'll have to wait for them to be shipped over.

Sunchaser
PS: We've just bought a Miele, will be delivered on Friday so I am sure of my facts. We had also checked out Bosch.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi,

I would definitely recommend buying in the UK and shipping as they're much cheaper here. As for the warranty. You'll get 2 years cover if staying in the UK and only 12 months if taking it to Oz. If it breaks down in Oz and they don't have the parts you'll have to wait for them to be shipped over.

Sunchaser
PS: We've just bought a Miele, will be delivered on Friday so I am sure of my facts. We had also checked out Bosch.

Clearly everyone has differing opinions on this but here are two prices of similar machines:

Currys (UK)
Bosch
1000 rpm spin speed
6 Kg capacity
£299

Good Guys (WA,OZ)
Whirlpool
1000 rpm spin speed
6.5 Kg capactiy
$749 (=£299.60 based on xr of 2.5) BEFORE 12% discount

The Bosch washer will have 1 yr warranty in OZ (according to previous poster) and the Whirlpool has 5 years Aussie Warranty

I guess that also the Aussie washer will be water saving and thus will save money in ongoing running costs.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion, but when I look at the facts for my situation, I am going to buy out there!

Dave
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

We've shipped our Hotpoint, had it serviced before it went, chap even gave us extra spare parts and his email addy in case we need him to ship any bits that we can't get in Brisbane!
rach x
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:38 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the best value washing machines I have ever bought while in Oz was a reconditioned machine. It cost me $200 and it lasted me YEARS!!! For those that are worreid about the $$$, it could be a viable option...

Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally posted by darkless
Clearly everyone has differing opinions on this but here are two prices of similar machines:

Currys (UK)
Bosch
1000 rpm spin speed
6 Kg capacity
£299

Good Guys (WA,OZ)
Whirlpool
1000 rpm spin speed
6.5 Kg capactiy
$749 (=£299.60 based on xr of 2.5) BEFORE 12% discount

The Bosch washer will have 1 yr warranty in OZ (according to previous poster) and the Whirlpool has 5 years Aussie Warranty

I guess that also the Aussie washer will be water saving and thus will save money in ongoing running costs.

Obviously everyone has their own opinion, but when I look at the facts for my situation, I am going to buy out there!

Dave

hi Dave

We have done a similar comparison and came up with the same decision, the discount alone would make it sensible and isn't there a government cash rebate for buying a 4 star water saving model?

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.