Reload this Page >

Washing Machines !!

Washing Machines !!

Old Jan 13th 2009, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

leekylou is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Washing Machines !!

Dear all.

Apologies for the boring topic but would be interested to get some advice. We are moving to Brisbane March/April time and want to know whether most rental properties will include laundry facilities or not - Ie are they likely to provide a washer/dryer or would we need to purchase ?

If it's the latter we may need to think about bringing the same from the UK as the Oz prices for a washer & dryer are on the steep side (when compared to the UK).

If anyone could share their experiences or offer any advice that would be great.

Ps - We're looking to rent an unfurnished 3 bed house/apartment in the city or the 'burbs.

Thanks all,
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Washing Machines !!

I'd be interested to hear the answer too so I am bumping!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

The vast majority of rentals here are unfurnished....as in completely empty apart from things that are bolted into the wall, namely the cooker (& if you're super lucky a dishwasher) usually.

Most rentals have washing machine taps, so you can hook up your own machine.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

elmao is on a distinguished road

PS dryer not so necessary....I still marvel at how quickly things dry to a crisp outside for most of the year :-)
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:07 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by elmao
The vast majority of rentals here are unfurnished....as in completely empty apart from things that are bolted into the wall, namely the cooker (& if you're super lucky a dishwasher) usually.

Most rentals have washing machine taps, so you can hook up your own machine.
I agree with that, and I am a landlord

Washing machines may not be that expensive if you know where to buy them:
  • Bosch 6.5kg Front loader $566 less any state rebates, so maybe down to $366
  • LG 7 kg Front loader $483 less any state rebates, so maybe down to $283
  • The cheapest one I saw was: Dec 2008 - Onix 6kg Washing Machine $179 after the rebates.
Or you could pay nearly a $1,000 for a Samsung Washer/Dryer combo.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:42 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

If it were me and there wasnt a prob with space (ie, its not going to cost you anything) then I would recommend that you bring it with you... apparently you have to bolt down the drum of the washing machine (not sure what to do re that?!)..

Re the dryer.. yes, the clothes line is quicker and easier and cheaper etc etc for drying, but I still need one.. you still get rain here and depending on where you are going to live (ie, Melbourne for instance) it gets cold in the winter... we're on the Sunshine Coast and I use my dryer.. usually if we have a couple days worth of rain (which happens as it rains a lot here... thank goodness!)

Em x
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:28 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Hi Leekylou,

Bring your dryer unless you are partial to crispy underware! Saves on all the ironing as well.

We bought the following:
LG 7.5KG Front Load for $699 less the water rebate which I think was $200.

Simpson 5KG Dryer for $429 - this machine is fantastic compared to my old UK & Dubai ones. Towels only take 60min on low. My old machines used to take an hour and wouldn't be anywhere near dry even on high. Very efficient machine.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

A good clothes dryer is great.

In QLD you need to get stuff off the line at the exact ight time or spend 3 hours trying to iron the creases out.

We got an excellent Fisher & Paykel thing that senses how dry things are (humidity detector presumably) and stops and beeps when it is done. Take stuff out then and you can hang up without ironing. Cost us about $450. Does a great job of "fluffing" towels too.

Anyone with a family will find a dryer a godsend, whether in QLD or not.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

What is this rebate you're talking about?
How does that work? Does it come off the price of the item or do you claim it?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:13 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwinow
I believe it is $200. WM has to ahve a certain star rating. You reclaim after purchase.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 9:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by kiwinow

Washing Machines
  • QLD: $200 rebate on a qualifying Washing New Machine, with at least a 4 star rating. www.qwc.qld.gov.au The QLD Home and Garden Waterwise Rebate Schemes being offered by the Department of Natural Resources and Water closed on Wednesday 31 December 2008
  • NSW: $150 rebate available for a new washing machine with at least a 4½ star rating. www.environment.nsw.gov.au Available between 1 August 2008 and 30 June 2010
  • SA: $200 rebate on a qualifying Washing New Machine, with at least a 4 star rating. www.sawater.com.au

Government Rebates

You need to check the advertising, but normally the before rebate price is shown and you then claim the rebate from the government, which can take 2 months or so.

Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;7164781]I agree with that, and I am a landlord

Washing machines may not be that expensive if you know where to buy them:
  • Bosch 6.5kg Front loader $566 less any state rebates, so maybe down to $366
  • LG 7 kg Front loader $483 less any state rebates, so maybe down to $283
  • The cheapest one I saw was: Dec 2008 - Onix 6kg Washing Machine $179 after the rebates.

Can yo utell me where to buy any of these as my washing machine broke today The plactic strip that is attached to the inside of the drum (front loader) came away and the clips are broken. Hopefully I will be able to get it replaced but just incase - I would be interested.

Thanks ,

Lynn xx
Old Jan 15th 2009, 3:58 am
ABCDiamond

The Good Guys have got the Bosch for $644, but 'less for cash', normally get from 12% discount for cash/credit card with them.

But the QLD $200 rebate 'appears' to have stopped 2 weeks ago. The other States still have rebates though...

That LG one I mentioned is also at The Good Guys.

Good luck with the repair though

Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

thinking of replacing my front loader washer its a Bosch around 2.5 years old .Broken down a few times fixed under warranty but always had to send it back again to be fixed properly thinking of going for a top loader are thease more reliable and easy to fix if they stuff up.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:48 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Catch
thinking of replacing my front loader washer its a Bosch around 2.5 years old .Broken down a few times fixed under warranty but always had to send it back again to be fixed properly thinking of going for a top loader are thease more reliable and easy to fix if they stuff up.
There have been quite a few discussions about the prose and cons of front loaders vs top loaders. I think the concensors was that front loaders washed better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.