Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing machines

Washing machines

Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all
Default Washing machines

Hi all

was wondering what you can ship over to OZ?

I believe that things like TV's dont work over there, but do things like washing machines, cookers, fridge and freezers etc work. I dont fancy paying for it to be shipped over and then cannot use it.

Also if there is anything else people think of please let me know

emma
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Washing machines

Originally Posted by suart View Post
Hi all

I believe that things like TV's dont work over there, but do things like washing machines, cookers, fridge and freezers etc work. I dont fancy paying for it to be shipped over and then cannot use it.

emma

Most modern TV's will work just fine. You may need to buy a set top box to get sound, but if you buy a TV here you may need one anyway.

Most houses already have cookers in, so not really much point bringing that and Fridges here are much bigger than UK ones. Although if you have an American fridge it should be OK, or if not then you could use your UK fridge as a beer fridge (you'll need to check if you can ship it though as I'm not clued up on customs regs)
Old Oct 10th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are regulations that refrigerated units have to comply with, that are stricter than in the UK - we left our old fridge coz it was ancient and we knew it would fail any tests!
Washing machine works fine, although some of the white plastic discoloured a bit and the bloke unpacking it said that is not uncommon. Good idea to bolt the drum if you can to stop it all shaking around & breaking.
Our TV was only a couple of years old but does not work here. Neither does my little TV/DVD player. So we have two spare 'video-TVs' kicking around that never get watched - I can't imagine it's worth shipping them to the UK again, so I suppose they will get chucked out eventually. Waste! Would have left them if we'd known, but obviously we didn't know until we tried.
Another thing we brought and never needed was light shades - all the lights in our house are ceiling ones that don't need shades on, the bulbs don't hang down. (I'm sure there's a proper name but I don't know what it is!) On the other hand our energy saving light bulbs, which I was a bit dubious about (only took them coz I refused to leave them for the people who bought our house) DID work! All a bit trial and error really!
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:10 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suart View Post
Hi all

emma

TV's on the whole work fine. However you will need to change the plug, and route the signal thru a digital stb. About 70 bucks from DSE or the like..

Washing Machines, should be ok. Make sure the thing is clean, and totally empty of water. More and more aussies are opting for front loaders now, due to the severe water crisis.

Fridges and Freezers, is as previous poster said, a grey area. The type of refrigerant, and cfc thingys...

If you get chance go onto some good websites, in Australia for white goods, etc.

Search on Google or get someone to give you the links for:

The Good Guys
Clive Peeeeeeeeeteeeeeeeeeeeeeerss eeeeee e asy
Hardly Normals
Clive Anthonys
Betta Electrical

Etc Etc
Old Oct 10th 2007, 9:19 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

our tellies all worked fine and one was quite old....didnt need a stb.

fridges tend not to travel very well.....thats what we got told anyways

If you have a good dryer bring it, they r small and expensive here
Old Oct 10th 2007, 10:50 am

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we have just had a removal company telling us the do's and dont's of transporting items, wash machines are fine, just ensure they are bolted down inside and ensure you give the machine a hot boil wash before taking it. They also said if you leave the door open to let the inside dry properly then no condensation should occur and place 2 dry tea bags inside to soak up any bits of water left, (yes i was unsure of that myself). As for fridge freezers they can be tempremental and not always adviseable to take, same again wash it out and with bicarbinated soda, leave to dry and again place in the tea bags. (im beginning to wonder wether he was sponsed by tetley tea or something) LOL. Good Luck
Old Oct 10th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

suart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to allsuart is a name known to all

Thanks eveyone

My new washer wont be going to waste, just thought i had wasted 300.00 last week on a new one