Reload this Page >

Washing machines

Washing machines

Old Jul 25th 2002, 11:48 am
Just Joined

SiggyG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Washing machines

Hi folks,
This may seem a silly question but...we are hoping to move to Perth very shortly and in the process of getting a container..we are running short of room and wondered if the washing machine(a standard british automatic) will plumb in easily in Aus? I know the electrics will be fine but the plumbing ?
Hope you can help...
If there is any other hidden common misconceptioins about things to take which I should consider maybe you can let me know about these too?
Thanks
SiggyG
Old Jul 25th 2002, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Washing machines

Well, here in Sydney we bought a whirlpool front loader and its plumbing bits aren't any different to uk ones, so you should be ok. Good luck with the move.
Old Jul 25th 2002, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

dazzx6r is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

We shall be taking our's, a hotpoint front loader, heard most households have top loaders and they tangle the washing. Also they are strong believers in cold water washing?

We have a 3 year old and even hot washes don't always get out the stains!

Can anyone also tell me if non-biologic washing powder is easily available out there?

Cheers guys

Julie
Old Jul 25th 2002, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Silly old me forget to sign Darren out and me in.

Hope he'll forgive after I nagged him to put me on here!

By the way I also heard that Aussies think having a washing machine in the kitchen is unhygienic. Well I suppose it is really all the other halfs skidders going round and round whilst you have friends over for a coffee LOL...

But realistically speaking it's tha lack of space in the uk, only big houses have ultility rooms.

Julie x
Old Jul 25th 2002, 11:20 pm
Robert Edwards

Yes you won't have any problem we have a full range of what is available in the
UK......maybe some slight variations of brand but generally made by the same
people.......as for cold water washing.....I'm unsure about strong believers but it
does get pushed a bit. cheers

Rob Edwards www.australianaustralia.com.au

"dazzx6r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > We shall be taking our's,

Old Jul 26th 2002, 4:20 am
Hills

SiggyG wrote:

> Hi folks, This may seem a silly question but...we are hoping to move to Perth very
    > shortly and in the process of getting a container..we are running short of room and
    > wondered if the washing machine(a standard british automatic) will plumb in easily
    > in Aus? I know the electrics will be fine but the plumbing ? Hope you can help...
    > If there is any other hidden common misconceptioins about things to take which I
    > should consider maybe you can let me know about these too? Thanks SiggyG
    >
    > --

Washing/laundry is something I do a lot of! Just put the second load on for the
morning, made a coffee, and sat down for a minute to wax philosophical on the subject
of laundry <G>

Top Load vs Front load: Traditionally, huge top loaders were the only machines
available. This causes no problems in Oz, as all houses have 'Laundries'. In older
houses, the laundry may be a concreted area under the house (for Queenslanders) or a
lean-to/shed outside the back door. Either way, it came equipped with a large
concrete tub for soaking or handwashing, and space to put the boiler. Boilers were
replaced with large washing machines, with mangles/wringers on the top. Then large
top-loading automatic washing machines. During this time, laundry rooms moved inside
the back door in newer built homes, but stayed about the same size- I'd guess 2m x
3m. Laundry tubs became polished metal instead of concrete, and the floors tiled...
Still plenty of room for the big top-loading machines.

About 10 (?) years ago, along came the front loaders. They were promoted as being
more efficient (less tangling, less water consumption, etc) but, as they were
initially imported versions of the European designs, they didn't catch on quickly.
They were small, designed to fit under kitchen benches. Traditional Australian
laundries worked at waist height - dump laundry on the laundry bench/table, then into
the top of the machine. Who wanted to have to crouch down on the floor to do the
laundry? Also, the machines were too small in capacity. Why do 2 small loads of
washing when you can do 1 large load?

Recently, larger front loaders have come onto the market, and apartment living has
helped the popularity of front loaders....

Hot water vs Cold water washing: Pluses- Cold water is cheaper. Cold water doesn't
shrink your clothes. Cold water keeps the colours in better. I suppose, historically,
the big top-loaders use an awful lot of water, so hot vs cold becomes a significant
cost. Minus- grubby stuff needs a soak/spray with stain remover before washing. Which
is not really an issue, because there is a big laundry tub beside the machine, where
soaking stuff can stay until tomorrow.

Another thought, which may be related: I personally think *more* washing is done in
Oz. Maybe it has to do with climate - in the hot weather, clothing needs a wash even
if it has only been worn for an hour. In summer there is an endless basket of pool
towels, wet bathers, sweaty sheets, etc.

(why is it so? kids get dressed, undress, drop clothes in corner, put on bathers, get
in pool, get out of pool, get fresh clothes from cupboard, undress, drop more clothes
in corner, get fresh bathers 'cos they don't like putting on wet bathers, get back in
pool.... ad infinitum, every day in summer)

I think it becomes a habit to just throw everything into the laundry basket when you
take it off. The clothes are not usually grubby, just a bit sweaty, so a quick cold
wash is all most of the clothing needs.

Now, off to hang the second load (7kg top loader, super heavy duty!!!! ) out on the
line. Oh the joys of having 3 boys. Now, if I had a 5kg front loader, I'd still have
another load to do!!!

LJ Brisbane

Old Jul 26th 2002, 4:30 am
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

That's a brilliant response, sounds like the Ozzies know what they're talking about
Old Jul 26th 2002, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

AH now I can see the point of a cold wash if the garment is only a little used, but I still think our little angel of a daughter could, oh and does get clothes quickly in the space of minutes. She's now at the age where she does'nt like to wear a item of clothing if it's dirty and takes it off, saying "mummy will wash it later"!!!

The point about kid's leaving washing on the floor- well most men do that too, I think they got so used to their mum's picking it up for them. Perhaps that's where the kid's get it from....

I think I'll still bring out my washing machine (it's only 3 years old) and we may aswell fill the container that we are having anyway.

Well off now got to do a mole hill of washing then a mountain of ironing. Oh the joy's of a house wife !!!

Julie
Old Jul 26th 2002, 6:20 am
Helena

"dazzx6r" <[email protected]> wrote

> We shall be taking our's, a hotpoint front loader, heard most households have top
    > loaders and they tangle the washing.

Had only top loaders when I lived in Canada because the only front loaders available
were expensive, chi-chi European brands. I didn't have a problem with tangled clothes
with my top loader in Canada but then I had the biggest Maytag you could buy (far too
expensive here!). With my top loader now, I hardly ever find the clothes tangled.
Many of my friends have top loaders due to the convenience. They know top loaders use
less water and are said to be better at washing clothes but they give reasons like:
faster cycles, you can add clothes mid-cycle or they're not as noisy. We went with a
front loader and I have to say it's very good at washing the clothes. But the bugger
is noisy during the spin cycle! Thank God we have separate laundry rooms with doors
that close.

> Also they are strong believers in cold water washing?

Just as many cold-water believers here as I noticed in Canada. I don't believe in it
at all. When I grew up in Perth, my mum had a copper out back and she practically
boiled the clothes!

> We have a 3 year old and even hot washes don't always get out the stains!
    >
    > Can anyone also tell me if non-biologic washing powder is easily available
    > out there?

Yes.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Jul 26th 2002, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Helena,

Our daughter has sensitive skin and I can only buy non-bio for her.

Cheers
Julie
Old Jul 26th 2002, 7:21 am
Helena

"Juls" <[email protected]> wrote

> By the way I also heard that Aussies think having a washing machine in the kitchen
    > is unhygienic. Well I suppose it is really all the other halfs skidders going round
    > and round whilst you have friends over for a coffee LOL...

Just about every house around here has a separate laundry room so there's no need for
the washing machine in the kitchen. Wouldn't it be hard to have a conversation with
the machine on spin cycle?

> But realistically speaking it's tha lack of space in the uk, only big houses have
    > ultility rooms.

Even the smallest places I've been in have had a separate laundry. It might share
space with a toilet and/or pantry cupboard but I don't think I've ever seen a
washer/dryer in the kitchen here. Maybe in apartments, I don't know.

Good luck,

Helena

Old Jul 26th 2002, 9:21 am
Helena

Ooops! Correction ...

"Helena" <[email protected]> wrote
    > "dazzx6r" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > We shall be taking our's, a hotpoint front loader, heard most households have top
    > > loaders and they tangle the washing.
    >
    > Had only top loaders when I lived in Canada because the only front loaders
    > available were expensive, chi-chi European brands. I didn't have a problem with
    > tangled clothes with my top loader in Canada but then I had the
biggest
    > Maytag you could buy (far too expensive here!). With my top loader now, I

I should have said: "With my *front* loader now, ..."

> hardly ever find the clothes tangled. Many of my friends have top loaders due to
    > the convenience. They know top loaders use less water and are said
to
    > be better at washing clothes

Should have said "They know *front* loaders use less water and are said to be better
at washing clothes ..."

Sorry, don't know what happened there. Too early to have been drinking. Must have
some sort of brain fog today!

Helena

Old Jul 26th 2002, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

SiggyG is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys for all the information...to say it has been conclusive is an understatement.
We have decided to take the washing machine....
As for talking during the spin cycle my wifes too busy cooking my lunch....
And as for ironing? Whazat?

Thanks a lot guys!
SiggyG
Old Jul 27th 2002, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We've been in Perth for 2 weeks - fantastic place; SPACE, NO traffic (relatively speaking) really friendly natives, lovely parks river etc .. ahh could wax lyrical for hours. But back to the subject.

If it fits into the container and is still in good nick, I'd suggest you bring it . Although the cost of living is way cheaper here - that seems to be based on a basket of goods ( probably including cheap housing??). White goods aren't all cheaper so if it is in good condition bring it. Make sure it is CLEAN. The Oz authorities seem to be applying the quarantine rules very strictly.

good luck with your move - you'll love it here

dpr
Old Jul 27th 2002, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

ooohhhhhh dont you all just get sooooo excited when you read posts like this one. really glad you like it out there, oh shit sorry right off the subject but i did get all warm inside, ok carry on about your washy machine things, cant say i really know what they look like (ha ha) shaun