Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing machine - top or front loader?

Washing machine - top or front loader?

Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:51 am
DJC
Forum Regular

DJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura about
Default Washing machine - top or front loader?

Hi,

My shipper advised me to take a washing machine with me as he said that over in Aus they are very expensive. I would rather buy new when I get out there (as the one I currently own is an integrated front loader model) and so would like a few tips on the pros and cons of top loaders vs front loaders.
He told me that top loaders use loads of water (??).

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Washing machine - top or front loader?

Hi,

I was told that the front loaders use less water, but i purchased a top loader just for a change really, plus it was only 499 dollars, it has an eco and water saving programme on it, so I think its just personal choice, front loaders are a bit more expensive check out www.thegoodguys.com.au. for some prices.

Phyllis
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:08 pm
DJC
Forum Regular

DJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura aboutDJC has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Phyllis n Joe
Hi,

I was told that the front loaders use less water, but i purchased a top loader just for a change really, plus it was only 499 dollars, it has an eco and water saving programme on it, so I think its just personal choice, front loaders are a bit more expensive check out www.thegoodguys.com.au. for some prices.

Phyllis

Thanks Phyllis,

I quite fancy a top loader for a change. Enjoyed using them when I was over on hols in Aus (how sad is that!).
$499 sounds good to me. Did you get that one from thegoodguys outlet?

Cheers

Deb
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by DJC
Thanks Phyllis,

I quite fancy a top loader for a change. Enjoyed using them when I was over on hols in Aus (how sad is that!).
$499 sounds good to me. Did you get that one from thegoodguys outlet?

Cheers

Deb
Hi there.
I brought my automatic front loader over with us.
It is correct that they use less water than the top loaders and apparentley you get a $200 rebate if you use a front loader.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

KatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond reputeKatieLilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi,

My shipper advised me to take a washing machine with me as he said that over in Aus they are very expensive. I would rather buy new when I get out there (as the one I currently own is an integrated front loader model) and so would like a few tips on the pros and cons of top loaders vs front loaders.

Thanks.
I reckon you should go for a front loader. They save a lot of water, don't shred your clothes and you might get a rebate depending on which state you go to from the government. Here in Queensland you get AUD 200 if you buy a 4 star front loader, nothing for a top loader due to the reasons mentioned before. We got rid of the top loader we purchased at first (only because it was cheaper than a front loader) after only 9 months and bought a front loader. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Katie
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Phyllis n Joe will become famous soon enough

Eh......No LOL but I found out about the good guys to late!! I met up with someone from the BE site and they told me about them, which was to late cause I'd already got mine from Harvey Norman! The good thing about the good guys you can barter!!! walk away an you'll get it a lot cheaper!!

Phyllis
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

frances is an unknown quantity at this point

I Bought a Front Loader here and they are not expensive, also got $200 rebate from the council as they want to encourage less water use and the top loaders use more, we are in N.S.W in Drought so we have to save as much water as poss Frances
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

Scott will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi,

Thanks.
Do you realise what you have started ?
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:31 pm
DJC
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys,

I'm swaying back towards front loaders now!!!
But which make is a good one? (One that won't mean a second mortgage preferably!)

Cheers

Debs
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:35 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by DJC
Thanks Guys,

I'm swaying back towards front loaders now!!!
But which make is a good one? (One that won't mean a second mortgage preferably!)

Cheers

Debs
All German makes such as Miele and Aeg or Bosch.

They can be quite expensive though, but you get a 10 year warranty with Miele. Keep away from cheap Chinese ones.

By the way i am a washing machine engineer.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:38 pm
DJC
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
All German makes such as Miele and Aeg or Bosch.

They can be quite expensive though, but you get a 10 year warranty with Miele. Keep away from cheap Chinese ones.

By the way i am a washing machine engineer.

That's handy to know. Thanks.
But you could be doing yourself out of future work by giving out good advise on which machines to stay away from!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by DJC
That's handy to know. Thanks.
But you could be doing yourself out of future work by giving out good advise on which machines to stay away from!!!!
Believe me, i would rather stay away from the cheap models.

Honestly though, it is worth investing in a good machine, but i know it boils down to what one can afford.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:52 pm
DJC
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Believe me, i would rather stay away from the cheap models.

Honestly though, it is worth investing in a good machine, but i know it boils down to what one can afford.
Well if the exchange rate keeps taking a nose dive it'll be a washboard and wringer that I'll be able to afford!
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Top loaders are more user friendly, how many times do you find an item of clothing that you forgot to put in? You can just lift the lid and add it. However with the water shortage, front loaders are the way to go, they use so much less water and you can get a rebate in Qld as others have said. I too think they are gentler on the clothes.

I have an LG machine which has been really good.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 1:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Top loaders use more water and do not clean as well.
That is why you cant get them anymore in the UK.

Originally Posted by DJC
Hi,

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.