Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A washing machine question

A washing machine question

Old May 3rd 2005, 6:02 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down A washing machine question

5 months before we go and our washing machine has been taken very ill!!
We have are having someone to come and look at it, but were thinking that if its going to cost anything over £50 is it worth getting it sorted? We were going to take it with us as it’s a front loader and people on here give mixed reactions to the Aussie top loaders.

So I have a couple of questions:

Would we be able to parts/get it fixed if we had problems with it in Oz?
How common/cheap/expensive are front loaders in Oz?

Also please think of me while you load your machines tonight, as I have to use the local Launderette for the next week :scared:
Old May 3rd 2005, 6:04 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: A washing machine question

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
We have are having someone to come and look at it, but were thinking that if its going to cost anything over £50 is it worth getting it sorted? We were going to take it with us as it’s a front loader and people on here give mixed reactions to the Aussie top loaders.

Also please think of me while you load your machines tonight, as I have to use the local Launderette for the next week :scared:

You will find its fairly common that in the weeks & months before people move to Aus that lots of things start to breakdown.

Spooky or what. :scared:
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Funny that this question gets asked just as I get The Good Guys leaflet through the door.

They have 12 Top Loader Washing Machines advertised between $389 and $1,119
and
9 Front Loaders between $599 and $1,599

The cheapest Front loader is a Whirlpool 5.5kg at $599
the next up in price is the Samsung 7Kg at $699, and the top priced one at $1,599 is the ASKO 6kg

The $389 top loader is a Centrex 4.5kg
The cheapest 5.5kg top loader is a Simpson at $589

All the above prices are subject to discounts for cash, about 12%

So it seems that prices for top and front loaders are very similar, for the same capacity.

Getting spare parts for a UK brand may be very difficult.
Front Loaders win for us

Old May 4th 2005, 12:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
When I saw that $389 price my first thought was "yeah, but I bet its an unknown/cheapo/crap brand". Seems I was right , the well known brand is $200 dearer, but the same price as the top loader!

TPPC, as you can see from ABC's post, you can buy front loaders here no problem & for only slightly more (if at all) than a top loader. Also, depending on where you are going to, you can get a rebate from the govt if you buy a top loader as they are water saving (not in Qld though, here in Brisbane you get a rebate if you buy a rain water tank ).
Old May 4th 2005, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

Not sure about Top Loaders, we've got a Maytag and its absolutely crap.
Old May 4th 2005, 8:13 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Neil S
Not sure about Top Loaders, we've got a Maytag and its absolutely crap.
Poms should stick to the familiar - washing horizontally.
Old May 4th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Mad Moggies R Us is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Funny that this question gets asked just as I get The Good Guys leaflet through the door.

They have 12 Top Loader Washing Machines advertised between $389 and $1,119
and
9 Front Loaders between $599 and $1,599

The cheapest Front loader is a Whirlpool 5.5kg at $599
the next up in price is the Samsung 7Kg at $699, and the top priced one at $1,599 is the ASKO 6kg

All the above prices are subject to discounts for cash, about 12%

So it seems that prices for top and front loaders are very similar, for the same capacity.

Getting spare parts for a UK brand may be very difficult.
Front Loaders win for us
Hi all
I can't beleive this was on the forum today, only last night I said to my other half " our washing machine is on its way out" I will put a thread forum asking about wash machines, but have been beaton to it.
So under same dilema, buy good new one now or wait till we get their( how bloody exiting is that).
I just wanted confirmation really, if we buy a good whirlpool frontloader here in uk, is it going to be useable in Aus
Dont want to spend a lot if only going to have to sell for a tenner in a few months
Dont mean to sound like a divvy, but you read so many threads of what you can take/can't take.

Sorry can't remember who added the launderette thread, but just think of the fun you'll have chatting to folks about your'e great new life/adventure, and they will probably end up chucking themselves into a top loading boil wash :scared:
OH HAPPY DAYS
Sarah
Old May 4th 2005, 10:16 am
Go dogs!

tbeb will become famous soon enough

You can buy most of the European front loaders here in Oz. Have a look at:

http://www.goodguys.com.au

LG, Bosch, Electrolux, Samsung, even the aussies make them. Start from $450ish

TBEB
Old May 4th 2005, 11:54 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

I just tried to compare prices of specific models but couldn't do it as we don't seem to get the same models in the UK as in Australia.

In particular UK spin speeds appear almost twice as high on average. I suppose we need to get more water out in the UK as the ability to dry is hampered by the weather. The good thing about that should be that they are less likely to go wrong in Aus at lower speeds.

Comparing Currys (UK) with Good Guys the Aussie ones looked cheaper (especially after the A$150 rebate and maybe a bit off for cash too).

So I think Sam will be going to the launderette if it is expensive to fix.
Old May 4th 2005, 11:57 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
So I think Sam will be going to the launderette if it is expensive to fix.
Bugger!
Old May 4th 2005, 12:37 pm
Badge

Our Bosch front loader machine cost us 50 bucks secondhand from an expat and has been in use for 15 months.

Badge

Old May 4th 2005, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
. Also, depending on where you are going to, you can get a rebate from the govt if you buy a top loader as they are water saving (not in Qld though, here in Brisbane you get a rebate if you buy a rain water tank ).
I'm sure you meant 'you can get a rebate from the govt if you buy a front loader '. Top loaders use more water (and energy).

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 4th 2005, 1:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I'm sure you meant 'you can get a rebate from the govt if you buy a front loader '. Top loaders use more water (and energy).

Cheers,
JTL
arghhhhhh yes, sorry, if you buy a FRONT loader! Not a top loader .