Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Washing machine plumbing question

Washing machine plumbing question

Old Jul 20th 2007, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Washing machine plumbing question

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help me out there please.

We have seen a new house we like. The house doesn't seem to have plumbing for the washing machine. Is this likely to cause a problem. The sink in the laundry is plumbed but they don't have those nice big silver taps that your washing machine hooks up to (there is a gap for the washing machine though). When we had foxtel out in this house it seemed a problem to just get some wires put in because of the solid walls. Are we likely to have similar problems with the plumbing. Is it a messy job. How much are we looking would you think?

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Washing machine plumbing question

Poppet, why not ask the Agent if it is plumbed for a machine? If it'sa new house, I'd be very surprised if it wasn't. The connectors might be under the laundry sink.
If it's an older house, check if it has asbestos walls - they were popular for a while and are a pian to get rid of. You also shouldn't drill or cut the walls if they are asbestos.

HTH
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:34 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there,

We have seen a new house we like. The house doesn't seem to have plumbing for the washing machine. Is this likely to cause a problem. The sink in the laundry is plumbed but they don't have those nice big silver taps that your washing machine hooks up to (there is a gap for the washing machine though). When we had foxtel out in this house it seemed a problem to just get some wires put in because of the solid walls. Are we likely to have similar problems with the plumbing. Is it a messy job. How much are we looking would you think?

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Our taps for our washer are under the sink. I am assuming you have looked there. I can't imagine a new house not having plumbing for a washer.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
Our taps for our washer are under the sink. I am assuming you have looked there. I can't imagine a new house not having plumbing for a washer.
Need to go and have another look. It was just my husband mentioned he didn't see it. Will go and have another look. Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Need to go and have another look. It was just my husband mentioned he didn't see it. Will go and have another look. Thanks
I think in newer properties they put them under the sink. The taps on the wall in our old rental were pretty ugly and stopped me being able to put my tumble drier on a bracket on the wall.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by northernbird
I think in newer properties they put them under the sink. The taps on the wall in our old rental were pretty ugly and stopped me being able to put my tumble drier on a bracket on the wall.
OK I will keep my fingers crossed. As the property doesn't have aircon (owners never moved into it in the end) I thought they might have tried to take some short cuts and was hoping it wouldn't turn out to be a big problem. Everything else is finished beautifully with lots of extra power points and telephone points so it doesn't indicate doing it on the cheap. The other issue I have at the moment is the gap for the dishwashers measurance 60.5cm and most dishwashers are 60cm (don't want 45cm one I hate doing the dishes!). The only way I know if it will fit will be to buy it I guess. 0.5cm is not much to play with!!! I hope everything will be ok.

Thanks for responses.
Old Jul 20th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks in advance.

Poppet
Hi Poppet

Assuming you have a set of taps over the laundry tub; get hubby to unscrew them anti-clockwise. You should find two male-iron threads in the wall.

At Bunnings you can pick up a washing machine tap set (can get them on Ebay too). Get a roll of PTFE tape and apply to male-iron theads, then screw new washing machine taps clockwise onto male iron thread hand tight first, then just give it a bit of a nip with a shifter. (put a cloth around tap so you don't scratch the chrome plating).

It should be a simple straightforward job, no messy chasing of mortar required.

Don't forget to turn off the water at the mains first, and run off a few taps to get rid of dead leg water.

You aren't really supposed to do this yourself as it's work that needs carrying out by a licensed plumber............... but a lot of DIY types just go ahead and do it anyway.