Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

warning when travelling with Emirates!

warning when travelling with Emirates!

Old Oct 25th 2008, 4:54 pm
Good luck to all

Wez and Chris is a jewel in the roughWez and Chris is a jewel in the roughWez and Chris is a jewel in the roughWez and Chris is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: warning when travelling with Emirates!

I thought that if you went on a PR visa ie to live there for good and providing it was your first journey after receiving your PR visa you were entitled to almost double the baggage allowance when flying from UK to Oz?? can anyone clarify??
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:20 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No one item is allowed to be more than 32kgs. Thats for Health and Safety reasons, and is internationally recognised.
Individual airlines may have different rules with lower weights, but 32kgs is the real upper limit. No airline can allow a bag heavier than this.
Thanks Pollyana.........
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wez and Chris
I thought that if you went on a PR visa ie to live there for good and providing it was your first journey after receiving your PR visa you were entitled to almost double the baggage allowance when flying from UK to Oz?? can anyone clarify??
Only certain airlines offer this deal, but from the sounds of it most of them have taken this off due to the fuel prices. Its not a given that you get it and certainly not entitled.

Jo
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plantpot
GREAT we are going with them on the a380 in 3 weeks Cannot wait...
Me too!
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wez and Chris
We flew with singapore 3 weeks ago and we met the criteria that enabled us to get 40kgs each, we flew on the A380 and can highly reccommend it
Old Oct 25th 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gazclaire
We flew with singapore 3 weeks ago and we met the criteria that enabled us to get 40kgs each, we flew on the A380 and can highly reccommend it
Thats who we used when we came over, the seem to be the ones that offer it the most. I think sometimes its down to luck of the draw who you ask. Try and get email confirmation too.

Jo
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Bag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant futureBag End Bunch has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gazclaire
Can you tell me how you got the extra weight allowance? Did you book online with a travel agent or direct with Singapore airlines? We're at the stage of booking planes now so any advise would be really helpful - thanks

Alex
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bag End Bunch
Can you tell me how you got the extra weight allowance? Did you book online with a travel agent or direct with Singapore airlines? We're at the stage of booking planes now so any advise would be really helpful - thanks

Alex
For general info - only Singapore seem to offer the 40kgs now free of charge, though some other airlines do have deals where you get the extra baggage in echange fo a higher fare price.
The usual critieria is that it must be an unvalidated PR visa on a one-way ticket.

For more details search BE for Singapore airlines and you will find details of their phone number and email address. If you don't contact them before hand, don't assume you will get 40kgs.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:15 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

We are in UK for a visit atm. We flew 11th October, and we never got our hand luggage weighed.

We were chosen for a spot check though, and were swabbed for explosives, and there was something 'organic' showed up on my x-ray, but it was only deodorant

Why is it you get all nervous, even though you have nothing to hide
Old Nov 2nd 2008, 3:34 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Just came back today, and again never got weighed.

I think it depends on who you get, as the man next to us got his weighed. May have also been something to do with the fact his hand luggage was on the rather large side

In the end, our cases were weighed together, and were 3kg overweight, but she let us off.

As I said, all depends on who you get. Plus our hand baggage was only small/medium size.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:50 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

We booked direct thru the Emirate site in June & have already booked our seats there & back!
Just having a browse through our itinery & checked our seat plan & it had been changed!!!! There are 5 of us flying 2 adults & 3 children & they had put 4 of us on one row & our 6 yr old daughter on her own behind us :curse:

I contacted them & they have now amended it but she had no idea why the seating arrangements had been changed

Anyone flying with Emirates, just check your seating arrangements before you leave home! We fly 14th Nov
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really niceTwinset is just really nice

Funny that,

We had multiple changes to our itinerary last time we flew with them: flight times, seats etc.

Not saying they are bad, just not the best.....
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Centurion
And not forgetting that the US routing is a longer travel time and more expensive in the first place. Personally I would find both of those reasons very compelling not to bother and just send a couple of suitcases excess baggage for less than the fare difference and save myself the travel hassle.
absolutely......via USA is a silly idea !!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:11 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Twinset
Flown with many different airlines and Emirates the only one where my camera bag was pulled for being overweight.

So the PC went in the hold luggage (company one, so no worries there!). 3kg over....will try the baggy jacket routine next time...

Bloody annoying, there were 3 check-in attendants and only one checking weight of carry-on.....so I and my family shall be voting with their feet......and Emirates have lost 4 customers permanently
These are actually agents used by the various airlines and not airline staff. You have the right to complain.

When we were flying with my father there was a very officious lady at the gate checking hand luggage weights. As my father was 90 he put his hand luggage (holdall) on a trolley and wheeled it to the gate, this lady thought it was heavy and weighed it at over 7 kgs and was very rude. My father pointed out that it included his duty free drink and took it out and insisted that she weigh it again as the ticket states 7kgs excluding duty free. She then declined and was very red faced but my father insisted and we reported her to the Emirates Duty Manager in Birmingham when we arrived in Dubai.