Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning when booking flights!!

Wikiposts

Warning when booking flights!!

Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

You were lucky - what did you flutter at them? Any idea what the charge for excess baggage is per kilo ie is it worth risking in or do you get stung big time if you have nothing to flutter. I am going on my own and have sold everything and will probably just send some stuff over via the postal service - it works out at about 150 quid for 30 kilos. Anyone got any info on sending 30 to 40 kilos via some sort of delivery service.

Elaine
Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Matt & Jo
Hi,

Oh no, you can have the 40 kilo's to your stop off no problem but Perth international airport handlers will not handle luggage over 32 kilo's so at check-in Heathrow we had to buy another suitcase and distrupute the weight between the 4 cases.
Thanks for that, I was unaware of the 32 kilo limit. We have just bought a massive suitcase, we will take it back to Macro and get a refund!! Will get 2 smaller ones instead.

Wouldn't want my big 'Bridget Jones' knickers on display at checking in!!
Old Apr 14th 2003, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by grubelice
You were lucky - what did you flutter at them? Any idea what the charge for excess baggage is per kilo ie is it worth risking in or do you get stung big time if you have nothing to flutter. I am going on my own and have sold everything and will probably just send some stuff over via the postal service - it works out at about 150 quid for 30 kilos. Anyone got any info on sending 30 to 40 kilos via some sort of delivery service.

Elaine
Charge for excess was about 40Sing$ per kilo....V.expensive... If no eyelashes (poor you) then flutter what you've got unless of course its likely to get you arrested!
Not sure how this works from the UK.. but assume there is some way. From this end you can send unaccompanied baggage on flights, drop off at the airport and designate a pick up airport. Obviously dont put any personels in there as they go through the bags with xrays/dogs and whatever else they have... but it was loads cheaper for us sending 60kgs back to the UK rather than shipping or postage.
Old Apr 14th 2003, 3:52 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning when booking flights!!

It has to be an UNUSED migrant visa too, so if you've been over to validate then you can't use it when you actually migrate.

That could be a costly mistake.

Dan

QUOTE]Originally posted by brox
Dont make the same mistake we've just done. Booked our one way flight to Perth but forgot to say it was on a migration visa. Therefore we cannot claim the 40 kilo baggage allowance each person!! also we were going from Manchester to Heathrow to pick up the Qantas flight and so BA would not have allowed us the extra baggage anyway. YOU MUST tell them when you book your flight. Also I think you will nrrd your visa number. Come all this way and balls up this last bit!!:lecture: [/QUOTE]
Old Apr 14th 2003, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Birdey

I do have very long lashes to flutter but will also remember to wear falsies! I have heard of the unaccompanied baggage. Sorry to be a dumb blonde but how exactly does that work. Do you take it up to the airport beforehand, do you buy a ticket for it. I would appreciate any advice as sounds most appropriate.

Elaine
Old Apr 14th 2003, 10:01 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Cheers Birdey

I do have very long lashes to flutter but will also remember to wear falsies! I have heard of the unaccompanied baggage. Sorry to be a dumb blonde but how exactly does that work. Do you take it up to the airport beforehand, do you buy a ticket for it. I would appreciate any advice as sounds most appropriate.

Elaine

If you can get hold of a TNT magazine (free) There are lots of advertisements for excess baggage sending

try 0800 783 1085 Excess Baggage
or 0800 039 3099 1st Contact
also 0208 838 8440 Global moves

to mention but three
Old Apr 14th 2003, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

Now here's another dumb blonde question, how do you weigh your suitcases beforehand? My kitchen scales aren't that good!
Is there a guide has to how much weight a large suitcase carries, presuming your not packing it with bricks??
Mandy
Old Apr 15th 2003, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

pott is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose you could try weighing your load in small lots. Failing that,
alot of Boots (the chemist) have scales - you could always pop your bags down there?!!!!!

Pott
Old Apr 15th 2003, 2:14 am
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Mandyisere
Now here's another dumb blonde question, how do you weigh your suitcases beforehand? My kitchen scales aren't that good!
Is there a guide has to how much weight a large suitcase carries, presuming your not packing it with bricks??
Mandy

Use you (or your neighbour's ) bathroom scales
Also if you can't lift your suitcase it probably weighs more than 32lbs
Old Apr 15th 2003, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Birdey

Elaine
Well like I said not sure how is works in the UK, but our bags were grown up enough to travel unaccompanied so we just paid the guy at the airport and he sorted the rest out. We dropped the bags off about 5 days before we left Perth and they landed in Manchester 3 days later!! (although allow 14 days apparently!) We then got a mate to pick them up for us. However I guess you could drop them in at Heathrow the day before/of your flight. It was at the freight terminal for us though. Not sure if it will help, but exportair arrange it from Perth, maybe they would be able to help with a link for going the other way?
http://www.exportair.com.au

Good Luck with it all, releived to hear you have eyelashes, otherwise you would have had terrible trouble when the wind gets up!
Old Apr 15th 2003, 5:45 am
No wuckin furries mate

brox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mandyisere
Mandy

Pack your bag, weigh yourself on bathroom scales, then pick bag up weigh that the difference is the bag weight!!
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by brox
Pack your bag, weigh yourself on bathroom scales, then pick bag up weigh that the difference is the bag weight!!
Logical & clever I see!
Old Apr 15th 2003, 4:37 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by brox

Or, pack your bag, weigh it on the bathroom scales, the weight is the bag weight...
Old Apr 15th 2003, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Mandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really niceMandyisere is just really nice

OK the blonde may be out of a bottle but i am genuinely dumb!!! Thanks for the tips on how to weigh the bags
Mandy
Old Apr 15th 2003, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont take so much stuff. !!

Whats with women and taking loads of baggage. !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.