Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning WESTPAC!

Warning WESTPAC!

Old Mar 13th 2008, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning WESTPAC!

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Does anyone know someone in the media who this thread could forwarded to? Sounds like this would make a great current affair program, with them doing all the work and investigating who is behind all the easyjet fraud.

SURELY someone at Easyjet or the police should take interest that this is happening!!?? What is the world coming too where people are being burgled (in a sense) and there is a chance of catching them red handed and the police aren't interested!

I mean - all the people who end up using these dodgy tickets - who are they and aren't they concerned about getting caught...Makes me think it is an inside job and a way for easyjet to up their profits...
My sentiments too. Wonder who we send it too - I don't mind one bit being on a Current Affair (or whatever they have in the UK) to get these criminals caught.

Oh and the reason the polish thing came about, wasn't directly aimed at polish migrants. Devonfamily have had a similar incident happen to them - they called Easyjet but were put through to customer services agents that were Polish and spoke very little English. I don't think Devonfamily ever said they were asylum seekers etc etc
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:23 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
westpac have hardly any ATM's in this area - we've actually saved money by having cash (yep we're worried about getting burgled too), as we're not being charge $2 a time everytime we use a non westpac ATM! Last months charges amounted to $22!!!! I know it doesn't sound a lot, but that per month builds up! How about Heritage? I've only ever seen a handful of Heritage ATM's, but I'm sure they advertised they're do non fee banking??? Maybe I dreamt that - I'm having a lot of dreams at the mo involving money!

You should seriously consider moving to a Citibank Plus account. They offer unlimited free ATM withdrawals from ANY ATM in Australia. Even the ones in pubs!

S
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
You should seriously consider moving to a Citibank Plus account. They offer unlimited free ATM withdrawals from ANY ATM in Australia. Even the ones in pubs!

S
Can't seem to find much information about branches tho? Is it fee free banking too? The ATM thingy is good, but then I have been a bit slack, like Penny has said, I could always get money out via EFPOS whilst shopping? That would save me running to the ATM all the time! My hubby reckons he's got a citibank account that he opened whilst in the UK - but has never used it!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 2:31 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Can't seem to find much information about branches tho? Is it fee free banking too? The ATM thingy is good, but then I have been a bit slack, like Penny has said, I could always get money out via EFPOS whilst shopping? That would save me running to the ATM all the time! My hubby reckons he's got a citibank account that he opened whilst in the UK - but has never used it!

It's an online/telephone banking account. It is fee free if you have your salary credited to the account.

S
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

It's an online/telephone banking account. It is fee free if you have your salary credited to the account.

S
Just been to get more info from banks etc Interestingly Citibank underwrite Wide Bay Australia banking - so got some info from them. ANZ - very helpful, Suncorp - lots of leaflets but no one there to help us, NAB - good choice of accounts, again no one offered to help us, even tho we were looking very confused regarding the fees!

All of the banks said that any issues regarding fraud are dealt with immediately and money refunded immediately. An investigation does take place but they certainly don't withold the money until the investigation is over.

Just an update re this. I contacted Westpac fraud dept today as 2 further transactions have come out of the account, again for small amounts. The lady I spoke to was much better than the last, she said that these transactions had been processed using my newly issued card! I was shocked, as I had told them to stop the card immediately and not to bother sending me another one. She explained that the computer automatically issues another card. Now I haven't received this new card, it was only issued 2 days ago, yet 2 transactions have been made today! I asked HOW is this possible????? In 2 days, they can issue me a new card and someone gets hold of my details already AND uses the card even before I've had a chance to!!!!! Its got to be an inside job!

I told her I'd received emails from other people this has happened to. She said she was unable to go into specifics regarding the case, but yes they have other customers this has happened to, involving Easyjet and their investigation officers are in reg contact with bedfordshire police.

I told her we would be closing the account - she said, yes she completely understands. Thats the 3rd person I've spoken to from Westpac that has said this. Not one person has tried to convince us to stay with them!
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

S
Hi S, have just downloaded ything for Citibank - definately looks promising, the savings account interest is 8% - just going through the fees and charges as there are some - you have to get the right account by the looks of things X
Old Mar 13th 2008, 6:11 am
has lost The Game

Hi S, have just downloaded ything for Citibank - definately looks promising, the savings account interest is 8% - just going through the fees and charges as there are some - you have to get the right account by the looks of things X
Yes, it's the Citibank Plus account that is fee free...

S
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it's the Citibank Plus account that is fee free...

S
Hurrah! I'm finally getting somewhere! The two transactions they let through on my new card - have been put back into my account. Its just those 9 others we now have to deal with. Would you believe it? They've sent me ANOTHER card! Thats 3 cards I've had, 2 within a week!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Right. Now nuke all the cards and close your WESTPAC account, then go and open a citibank account.

Then hopefully this will bring your WESTPAC woes to an end - for good.

I'll be bypassing WESTPAC and going straight to citibank. This was a really useful thread by the way.
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Dazster
Right. Now nuke all the cards and close your WESTPAC account, then go and open a citibank account.

Then hopefully this will bring your WESTPAC woes to an end - for good.

I'll be bypassing WESTPAC and going straight to citibank. This was a really useful thread by the way.
Have to keep the westpac account open until all the funds are returned to me - apparently its cos it is a debit card not a credit card! She said if I close the account now - they won't be able to return the funds - also they're charging me $5 to close the accounts! After everythings thats happened they still want to charge me!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

tripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to beholdtripawaymars is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ulpul
Exactly why I check every statement and check my online banking every couple of days to ensure no suspect transactions slip through. I also have credit card protection insurance incase of events like these, however rare they may be.

I was with the Commonwealth but found them to be unprofessional and limited on opening hours around my working hours.

ANZ ticked all the boxes and have been awesome. I hold numerous savings accounts, trading account, personal credit card, business credit card etc with them and very happy. Infact everything except the mortgage!

Banks do tend to be better at certain things and have yet to find one that is competitive and successful at all services
Can you open an account with ANZ before arriving in Oz..if so how??
Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2008, 6:12 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

This forum has been pro Westpac for way too long so it's good to read this thread !

I've had nothing but trouble with Wetpac. they gave me the wrong account and BSB numbers when I opened the account and they've put my account on hold for no reason several times.

They've even spelt my name wrong on my card!
Old Mar 15th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by oliver1982
This forum has been pro Westpac for way too long so it's good to read this thread !

I've had nothing but trouble with Wetpac. they gave me the wrong account and BSB numbers when I opened the account and they've put my account on hold for no reason several times.

They've even spelt my name wrong on my card!
Our eldest son opened an account (he's 12) he was told 5 days after his 12th birthday a handycard would arrive. Well he waited, and we waited, nothing arrived. So we went into the branch and spoke to the girl, she said when the account was opened, the box for the card hadn't been ticked (the girls fault not ours), she said she'd sorted it and a card would be with us within a week. We waited and nothing arrived. That was 9 mths ago! Since then we've called and they've spoken to my son. They put him through to card services who told him a card was never ordered on both occasions and we now have to take him to the branch to get it rectified. I explained that its very difficult as Noosa is only open 9.30 to 3.30 (school times)!

We also noticed that cameron was being charged an account keeping fee of $5 per month - the kids 12! He was gutted! So off we went again to Westpac, pointed out the account charges, they apologised and refunded the money.

Its just too much now, these problems along with whats happened to our account means I just don't trust them. they haven't got a clue what they're doing! Can't wait to get rid!