Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning WESTPAC!

Warning WESTPAC!

Old Mar 12th 2008, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of
Default Re: Warning WESTPAC!

I have to say that I've been with Westpac for 8 years and have been nothing but impressed with them in all areas. I have had phone calls from fraud whilst in Sydney for instance, as I used my card in Brissy in the morning and Sydney in the afternoon, I have had several other calls too.
I used to be with Commonwealth but never once received any calls from them and found them spectacularly unhelpful.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gillysm
I have to say that I've been with Westpac for 8 years and have been nothing but impressed with them in all areas. I have had phone calls from fraud whilst in Sydney for instance, as I used my card in Brissy in the morning and Sydney in the afternoon, I have had several other calls too.
I used to be with Commonwealth but never once received any calls from them and found them spectacularly unhelpful.
do you work for Westpac!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:07 am
Account Closed

graz79 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are/were with westpac and have found the staff to be very "strange" opening accounts took more trips than necessary, they lost paperwork or forgot to send it off and their cashiers (who we have used twice) are unable to count notes (simple ones like 6 $50 notes = $270) and take offence when you point out they are wrong.

Currently moving everything over to another bank, only used them to get started over here

I would love to know what the security software they used was. I assume a system sweep looking for keyloggers, but given that they now have more info about your machine thatn anyone I would not trust them.

Most of these card thefts will be from online/phone transactions where all the card details are stored or written in plain text (not encoded) so anyone can look in the system and pull that info out. NEVER save your credit card details when it offers to let you. It is not worth the risk. If a site forces you to, shop somewhere else.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 7:42 am

mary1967 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Call the airline saying the passenger on that ticket is carrying a bomb!
Think you may get 20 years inside if you do!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a mate who was OiC at the Fire Station at Luton Airport. He'd have loved to have taken a crew to stop your thief. Unfortunately he now lives in Cairns Got lots of mates about five miles down the road but don't think they're the sort who'd rock up and grab someone I 'chat' to occasionally Sorry.

Why do most of these cases involve Easy Jet flights from Luton? Silly question, there's some very dodgy characters there. There was a doco on Luton being the capital of card scamming or whatever it's called, a few years ago. Police had a huge clearup but maybe it's still THE place to get your scammed card from.

We've been really happy with Commonwealth but we do have a great bunch of cashiers at our local branch which always helps. I don't go in often but they know my name and always have a chat. Once I asked them to do something and they suggested another way round it so they didn't have to charge me for the service.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I used to have a mate who was OiC at the Fire Station at Luton Airport. He'd have loved to have taken a crew to stop your thief. Unfortunately he now lives in Cairns Got lots of mates about five miles down the road but don't think they're the sort who'd rock up and grab someone I 'chat' to occasionally Sorry.

Why do most of these cases involve Easy Jet flights from Luton? Silly question, there's some very dodgy characters there. There was a doco on Luton being the capital of card scamming or whatever it's called, a few years ago. Police had a huge clearup but maybe it's still THE place to get your scammed card from.

We've been really happy with Commonwealth but we do have a great bunch of cashiers at our local branch which always helps. I don't go in often but they know my name and always have a chat. Once I asked them to do something and they suggested another way round it so they didn't have to charge me for the service.

Since this has happened and I started the thread, I've received a few emails re this - similar thing happening all the time, always involving Easyjet - I'm the same as you Penny, seems obvious but durrrrr, inside jobbie and scam???? Why oh why is it still going on??? Why isn't there some huge investigation where Officers are catching the suspects at luton airport - afterall they're purchasing the tickets, and using them to fly, so they're right there!!!! Ahhh dear
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

pmsl - no, but it sounds like it doesn't it! Just wanted to put the other side as we genuinely haven't had any problems with them. Remembered after I posted that we were also with ANZ for a while and weren't impressed with them either!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pmsl - no, but it sounds like it doesn't it! Just wanted to put the other side as we genuinely haven't had any problems with them. Remembered after I posted that we were also with ANZ for a while and weren't impressed with them either!
What about Suncorp??? We're looking at all avenues at the moment. Spoke to our accountant at work and he said having worked with Westpac, he'd never recommend them! But he did suggest Suncorp for an everyday bank account then savings with ING Direct???? More to think about and I have a headache from a) nose job 10 days ago b) busy brains c) stress!
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Devonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really niceDevonfamily is just really nice

Mmmm makes me feel very tempted to phone Easyjet and speak to their Management and bring this to their attention. Like you say - how come there are quite a few people who happen to have card fraud and it's all EASY JET? Sounds odd to me!!! Maybe I should ask to speak to Stelios and ask if it's just a matter of his company is a bit lax and therefore an Easy target!

We have never used Easyjet and never will. Just watching that Airline program on SKY that shows passengers constantly complaining about their shocking customer service etc etc - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

But seriously it is rather odd that all these fraudulent transactions are done through Easy Jet. Wonder if it's all their Polish workers?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by glittababe
What about Suncorp??? We're looking at all avenues at the moment. Spoke to our accountant at work and he said having worked with Westpac, he'd never recommend them! But he did suggest Suncorp for an everyday bank account then savings with ING Direct???? More to think about and I have a headache from a) nose job 10 days ago b) busy brains c) stress!
My Mum banks with them - they seem ok but I don't know about their fraud software/policies, I'm not aware of her ever having had any calls about it as I think she would probably have mentioned it. (Don't want to ask as she might start to panic if she hasn't) Why not try Citibank like Busybee suggested?
I know some friends who save with ING and believe they are happy.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 9:04 am
Just Joined

catt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the rough

Had a phone call Sunday from LloydsTSB to ask if i was in Italy at the moment. Never been there i said to be told that there had been transactions on an ATM machine in Milan and Rome within an hour of each other, £200 in one and £150 in another. They were pretty good they disabled my card put the money straight back into my account and I just received my new card this morning. Now that is service for you..........but it should never have happened in the first place :curse:
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Devonfamily

We have never used Easyjet and never will. Just watching that Airline program on SKY that shows passengers constantly complaining about their shocking customer service etc etc - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
From personal experience of Easy Jet, I was very impressed with their service. The people they showed on that programme were unbelievably stupid and rude. The customer service have to deal with ridiculous comments and have always (IMO) dealt with them politely. Don't assume what a programme shows is the truth. It's edited heavily but the stupid people still look stupid.

What have Polish people got to do with it?

My initial point was not saying I thought EasyJet were involved, just that Luton is known for the scum that copy and sell credit cards. EasyJet are based in Luton, therefore it sort of indirectly makes sense that copied cards could end up in Luton and people from there may want to travel with a cheap airline.

Whatever the case, it's totally out of order for nothing to be done. Glittababe, it could be worth emailing Beds Constabulary and explain what has happened with your card. Tell them the fraud case is being dealt with but that they may be interested to know that scammers have purchased these tickets and that others have had the same problem. They could be interested. But you know all that already
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:22 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

It's funny the number of people that work for banks and wouldn't recommend them. I'd keep looking for a bank not mentioned in your post
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:27 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

After three years of sh1t from Suncorp we moved to Westpac recently. Have had no problems so far. But... since reading your thread today I have been back-checking all of our statements.

We've used their credit card both here, (where we live), within Australia, and within Europe and they've never questioned any transaction.

Have to go... checking bank and credit card statements.

M
Old Mar 12th 2008, 10:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Our P&C uses Bank of Queensland. They are all small branches and have great customer service. No idea what they're charges are but they are good to use from my point of view.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.