Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning from Telstra on bogus callers

Warning from Telstra on bogus callers

Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:01 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Warning from Telstra on bogus callers

Not sure to truth behind but please beware in case -
Extract as received below:

"Subject: Please pass this on, it has been confirmed by Telstra

I got a call last night from an individual identifying himself as an Telstra Service technician who was conducting a test on our
Telephone lines.
He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9),zero ( 0), hash (#) and then hang up.
Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the
Requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which allows
Them to place long distance telephone calls billed to your home phone number.
I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many of the local gaols/prisons.
DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE. PLEASE pass this on to your friends.
If you have mailing lists and/or newsletters from organizations you are connected with, I encourage you to pass this on

Stephen Cooper
Detective Senior Constable 29748
Victoria Police State Crime Squads
Level 12, 412 St. Kilda Road , Melbourne
(03) 9865 2663 or 0414644499
[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> <
mailto:[email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> "
Old Feb 21st 2009, 11:13 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning from Telstra on bogus callers

As mentioned on BritVics, that's an old hoax from 2003
In late 2003, an Australian version of the hoax claimed to be a "police warning" and used the name and contact number of a real Victorian Police Officer. Although the officer did not send the email, he was inundated with calls and emails about the hoax. Australian telecommunications giant, Telstra, denounced the email as a hoax. An earlier US version claimed the supposed scam calls were coming from prisons. Yet another version of the hoax targets mobile phone users.
The Age - Telstra debunks 90 hash 'myth'
Hoax Slayer - Nine Zero Hash Phone Scam Hoax

Last edited by bigAPE; Feb 21st 2009 at 11:16 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 3:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning from Telstra on bogus callers

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp