Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning! Taking Xmas decorations to Oz

Warning! Taking Xmas decorations to Oz

Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Warning! Taking Xmas decorations to Oz

I've just heard from a friend of mine who has been in contact with her friend who landed in Perth a few weeks ago.

All her containers were delayed at customs as she had packed her Christmas decs and included amongst them were a couple of fir cone decorations.

Customs destroyed them and charged her $75 for the privilage!

I know all about pine funiture/bamboo/plants animal skins etc etc etc....but would have completely forgotten about my lovely chrissy decs! I am now off to the loft to get them out again and sort out the offending ones before I forget!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:25 pm
WBB

Default Re: Warning! Taking Xmas decorations to Oz

Originally posted by TraceyW
I've just heard from a friend of mine who has been in contact with her friend who landed in Perth a few weeks ago.

All her containers were delayed at customs as she had packed her Christmas decs and included amongst them were a couple of fir cone decorations.

I know all about pine funiture/bamboo/plants animal skins etc etc etc....but would have completely forgotten about my lovely chrissy decs! I am now off to the loft to get them out again and sort out the offending ones before I forget!

$75 what did they do, give them they're own cremation complete with service ?

:scared:

Old Jan 7th 2004, 3:26 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

lol ... yes and a lovely send off it was too!!!!
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:16 pm
Go Banana's !!

Default Re: Warning! Taking Xmas decorations to Oz

Originally posted by TraceyW

Thanks so much for the info, was just about to put all ours in the loft. So I now need to go through the boxes to find all the lovely pine cones I bought in John Lewis this year to make the arificial tree in Oz look real.

Thinking / hoping ??? to be in Perth this year we carefully acked all the decs in bubble wrap, some of them were my Grandmas - not sure whether to take them now incase they get mashed !!!

Thanks

Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:20 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

This has got me thinking.

We are taking virtually bugger all with us to Oz, but one of the things we were planning on taking was some pine furniture. Is this a no no??
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:30 pm
Go Banana's !!

Originally posted by chippy

We are taking virtually bugger all with us to Oz, but one of the things we were planning on taking was some pine furniture. Is this a no no??
Not sure whether all you would need to do is have it fumigated.
My advice is though, take as much as you possibly can. I've read that so much on here, because what you would sell it for here, would not cover the replacement in Oz. You never know when you will be glad of the Noddy bean bag cushion when you want to watch tv, or place it on top of a spider and jump up and down.

Seriously, if you are going to get a container to ship the pine stuff you may aswell fill it to the brim, cos it will cost the same.

Hope this helps

Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:31 pm
Go Banana's !!

PS - with a name like Chippy can't you make your own ???
Just a thought

Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:35 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi All,

I heard about this a while back so as soon as my decs came down I gave them all away except and angel that my nan gave me. It is about 25 years old. Mum said that she will look after this for me an pop it in her suitcase on 1st visit.

Regards
Sarah
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:37 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Warren Dix
PS - with a name like Chippy can't you make your own ???
Just a thought

Jill

Hey thanks Jill...Why did'nt I think of that!

But seriously, I did make some of what I am proposing to take.
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:39 pm
I'm lovin' it

Seriously, if you are going to get a container to ship the pine stuff you may aswell fill it to the brim, cos it will cost the same.

Hope this helps

Jill
I think you can send items without having to pay for a whole/half container, surely?
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:44 pm
WBB

I think you can send items without having to pay for a whole/half container, surely?
yes chipmeister you can, get them in to do a quote for the stuff you wanna take, they will supply boxes etc for the smaller items.

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I don't know whether to leave my artificial tree and decorations behind and get new when we get out there.

By the way, can you get real xmas trees in oz?

Mandy
Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:52 pm
Go Banana's !!

I have recently heard that you can take bikes out in a small container with your general luggage when you go straight away. Husband said it cost £300 and you can put other essentials in aswell. He thought this was a 'smashing' idea 'cos of the six weeks it would take to get all your stuff over.
However I may be wrong but in terms of anything larger it is either a 20 or a 40 cubic metres container starting at aroung £1,600 I think???

Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:56 pm
Go Banana's !!

Hey thanks Jill...Why did'nt I think of that!

But seriously, I did make some of what I am proposing to take.
Sorry I'm a bit slow, thought your name may be derived from the local fried potato establishment.

Didn't know you were a real carpenter, you shouldn't have any probs getting work. Wish hubby was as handy dreading the Oz version of B&Q - not Hubs thing

Jill

Old Jan 7th 2004, 5:57 pm
WBB

Sorry I'm a bit slow, thought your name may be derived from the local fried potato establishment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.