Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

warning on taking fridges.

warning on taking fridges.

Old Mar 27th 2005, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough
Default warning on taking fridges.

I have recently been warned about someone who packed a fridge in their container with their belongings to export into Oz. Due to CFC's being present in the fridge the authorities turned the whole container around & shipped it back to UK at the owners expense. :scared:

Not sure how true this is but if you're packing your fridge you may want to seek advice first & be 100%.
Old Mar 27th 2005, 10:13 pm

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: warning on taking fridges.

There was a fact sheet with my Customs Declaration Forms from the shippers prior to moving which stated that no items containing CFC or other Ozone Depleting Gases were allowed to be imported.

However, just had a look on the Customs Website and there is a fact sheet there: http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...zone040819.pdf

On Page 2 and more detailed on Page 3 it says that pre-charged items containing CFC's imported as personal effects by an immigrant are exempt from the law governing import of Ozone Depleting Substances.

Would suggest to anyone thinking of bringing a fridge that they check with customs/quarantine first and get it in black and white from them.

Seems strange they would turn a whole container around, quarantine usually separate any dubious items and depending on what the problem is give you the choice of fumigation or destruction (at a very reasonable cost Guv )
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:59 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Our shipping agent advised us not to bring our fridge. Not due to the CFC issue, but simply because the weather is different in Aus and makes different demands on a fridge. No idea whether this is true or not, but we decided not to bring ours in any case. We've just moved into a rented place and are waiting for our shipment to arrive. Most rented places in Aus come minus a fridge, therefore we were able to justify buying a fridge whilst waiting for our shipment, knowing it won't be a waste of money in the long run.

Just something to consider?

GG
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Our shipping company had advised us on this and also on freezers. As ours are relatively new we obtained a letter from the makers on headed paper stating that the models were free of CFCs. this should be enough. Not taking the fridge though.

Jo
Old Mar 28th 2005, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

I was on the understanding that fridges are a definate no no!!
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:01 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

We were told if your fridge or freezer is more than 2 years old then dont bother as it wont be accepted cos of OZ cfc regs-even then some new bought ones arent nessesarily going to meet the correct standards,old stock and whathaveyou so we were told just dont take them.
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:28 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

As a person who has been through one tall fridge/freezer per year on average, I wouldn't even contemplate taking mine to Oz. It can't cope with the UK never mind the heat in Oz. NEVER buy a frostfree fridge/freezer - they break down so much and freeze up anyway, and all your food go's off and defrosts. I will be buying one in Oz that you manually defrost.

Lynn
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:42 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by squeezzii
We were told if your fridge or freezer is more than 2 years old then dont bother as it wont be accepted cos of OZ cfc regs-even then some new bought ones arent nessesarily going to meet the correct standards,old stock and whathaveyou so we were told just dont take them.
Hiya Squeezzie,

I braught min about 2 years ago in the UK and all the fridges on sale were CFC free.

It should state on the back of the fridge what the gas is , but I'm not going to check it right now bacause the fridge is full!

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 28th 2005, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

gdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to allgdcollectables is a name known to all

Hi

as long as your fridge is CFC free it should be fine to bring to Oz, newer models should have a Green Sticker on the back with C - PENTANE, this will tell AQIS that it is ok.

As for the difference in climate, I hope you're not planning on having the fridge stand outside next to the pool?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 9:45 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gdcollectables
Hi

as long as your fridge is CFC free it should be fine to bring to Oz, newer models should have a Green Sticker on the back with C - PENTANE, this will tell AQIS that it is ok.

As for the difference in climate, I hope you're not planning on having the fridge stand outside next to the pool?
Our shippers told us not to take the fridge...was one of them big side by side ones...and was only a year old......they said that the fridges do not travel well....and that would prob only last a short while in its new home... I also think that the compressors on the fridges here must be of better standard than those in the UK, cos the fridge seems to be running MOST of the day, and people have fridges in their garages that r out the ark and still going strong
Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
As a person who has been through one tall fridge/freezer per year on average, I wouldn't even contemplate taking mine to Oz. It can't cope with the UK never mind the heat in Oz. NEVER buy a frostfree fridge/freezer - they break down so much and freeze up anyway, and all your food go's off and defrosts. I will be buying one in Oz that you manually defrost.
That's an interesting one.

Since I was 7 (am now 33), my parents have only ever gotten rid of 3 large frostfree fridge-freezers. The only reason the old ones were thrown out or given away was because they were a bit rusty outside and looking a bit old. They were all still cooling/freezing perfectly, each lasted for 6-10 years at my parents' apartment, and perhaps a few more years with the respective second owners.

Seems like you've had some major bad luck with your fridge-freezers.

Mrs JTL
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

We have always had frost free, never had a break down, and has never frosted up. My current frost free fridge/freezer is around 8 years old, bought it when we came to Aus, my last one was 5 years old, got rid if it as we were coming to Aus- with hindsight, I should have brought it with me - can never have enough fridges.
My mum's back home must be at least 13 yrs old, had it years before I left the Uk, and that was around 12 or 13 years ago -at a guess, it maybe 17 old.

I wouldn't bother with the non frost free fridge/freezers ( can you still buy them ?), it takes for ever to defrost. I also have a bar fridge for drinks , and the top part has a little freezer section ( non frost free as most bar fridges are) - even in this heat here in Qld - it takes a day to defrost it when the ice has really built up. water swimming all over the floor etc etc .

I can always remember my mum's old fridge when I was tiny kid, it would take a whole day and all night to defrost , and chipping the ice off with a knife , water everywhere - they are not worth the hassle.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 29th 2005 at 3:11 am.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:30 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ceri
I wouldn't bother with the non frost free fridge/freezers ( can you still buy them ?), it takes for ever to defrost. I also have a bar fridge for drinks , and the top part has a little freezer section ( non frost free as most bar fridges are) - even in this heat here in Qld - it takes a day to defrost it when the ice has really built up. water swimming all over the floor etc etc .

I can always remember my mum's old fridge when I was tiny kid, it would take a whole day and all night to defrost , and chipping the ice off with a knife , water everywhere - they are not worth the hassle.

Use a fan. Our soon to be thrown out manual defrost fridge needs doing every 2 weeks here, takes all of forty minutes with a floor standing fan and cut-to-shape milk container to catch the drips. Still too much hassle however, on the lookout for a frost free job (hence my search bringing up this thread).
Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:02 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by vikk
I have recently been warned about someone who packed a fridge in their container with their belongings to export into Oz. Due to CFC's being present in the fridge the authorities turned the whole container around & shipped it back to UK at the owners expense. :scared:

Not sure how true this is but if you're packing your fridge you may want to seek advice first & be 100%.
We took a brand new fridge/freezer and an old chest freezer. The FF had stickers to say CFC free but the old chest freezer had nothing on it [I doubt it was CFC free].

Both got through AQUIS OK.

Perhaps it's worth going onto the AQUIS site to see what is/is not acceptable.

Old Apr 6th 2005, 5:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by 4lex
Use a fan. Our soon to be thrown out manual defrost fridge needs doing every 2 weeks here, takes all of forty minutes with a floor standing fan and cut-to-shape milk container to catch the drips. Still too much hassle however, on the lookout for a frost free job (hence my search bringing up this thread).
I have a totally frost free fridge/freezer - and never , ever do I need to defrost it. the only time I turn it off is when we go away for a month (just because I hate leaving the electric on if we are away for ages ) Anyway it has no ice - it's like the inside of a fridge - no ice. It never builds up with ice. 8 years old - totally frost free . I'll tell you the name tommorrow, can't remember what it's name is sitting here - I'll have to look at the fridge/freezer when I go home

My non frost free - is a little stainless steel bar fridge( one years new) just for the beers , like you get in the hotels - the little freezer section on top ( meant for ice etc) ( little thing) takes for ever to defrost - the freezer bit builds up with ice. Hairdryer , and knife and a 24 hour job melting that

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 6th 2005 at 5:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.