Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning for the South East ...

Wikiposts

Warning for the South East ...

Old Apr 18th 2003, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning for the South East ...

Originally posted by SteveBannister
I've heard that. Humour and sarcasm go right over their heads as well don't they? Won't put up with any bull myself but will give twice as good as I get. I hear enough load mouth crap from people here these days.
Oh Steve what a throughly pleasant gentleman you sound! Im glad that on arrival in Australia your main aim seems to be to get one over on the Aussies... I know its not difficult, but it shoudn't be a sport. As for putting up with the crap, there is an awful lot of it, but nothing gets to middle class white aussies more than the fact you have been accepted for migration despite being a whinging pom. So Steve, do us all a favor and dont give then more fuel.

For the record, the TB outbreak, that yes whilst influenced greatly by immigrants to the UK, what you can really blame is poor screaning techniques by UK immigration. Add to that, in certain areas of the country they have not and are still not vaccainating school children, therby creating a super pool of non-immunes to allow infection to spread. The reason for this? Its cheaper to treat TB than it is to mass screen and immunise. The vaccine is also is only about 80% effective, dependant on which research you read.
Whilst I am on this rant, PB - you wife will have picked up a form of hep A, which had you researched pre travel vaccinations before going to Bali, you would have discovered is vaccine preventable. It would not have affected her job, once she was well again as Hep A is spread via water and food contamination. You are only a 'carrier' (infectious) for as long as the virus is in your system. It can affect people for anything between 2 weeks and 6 months on a broad spectrum of severity from mild viral symtoms to being stuck in bed. Your wife is a nurse, so Im guessing that she is vaccinated already against Hep B, and unless she is very unfortunate or has some not so healthy habits I doubt she has contracted Hep C. As for Hep D E and probably F, unlikely without simultanious infection with one of the others.
Dont even get me started on SARS.
Feel much better..............
PB where are you going back to in the UK?
Old Apr 19th 2003, 12:24 am

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Birdey
For the record, the TB outbreak, that yes whilst influenced greatly by immigrants to the UK, what you can really blame is poor
It does seem strange to me that even though ALL kids in Jersey get the BCG (anti-TB jab) I still got screened for TB. I still have the scar on my arm from that jab (as do all my peers) and I remember it well. Do they mass immunize in Oz as well?
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:53 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

Oh Steve what a throughly pleasant gentleman you sound! Im glad that on arrival in Australia your main aim seems to be to get one over on the Aussies... I know its not difficult, but it shoudn't be a sport. As for putting up with the crap, there is an awful lot of it, but nothing gets to middle class white aussies more than the fact you have been accepted for migration despite being a whinging pom. So Steve, do us all a favor and dont give then more fuel.
If you read the post again, the main aim is to not let the Aussies get one up on ME. Please don't take my words out of context. I don't know how many threads I've read or people I've spoken to that say we will be taken advantage of one way or another. Paying over inflated prices to have TV's converted, paying over the top to have new plugs fitted, etc. Have you got kids, if one comes home from school and says other kids are taking the mickey out of him, what would you say? You'd say, "Well, you take the mickey out of him then!"
We're going to be very naive in a new country and will have to stand up for ourselves, that's all I'm saying.

Nobody is talking about winding anybody up or whinging. I certainly didn't mention it.

In actual fact, on another thread, you said :

"Agreed, you could just shorten that sentance to Its just tedious when Australians attempt to be funny."

Your post, your words. If that's how you feel about the Aussie sense of houmor, please keep it to yourself and, " do us all a favor and dont give then more fuel. " (Another one of your own quotes).

Last edited by SteveBannister; Apr 19th 2003 at 3:08 am.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bored_bean
It does seem strange to me that even though ALL kids in Jersey get the BCG (anti-TB jab) I still got screened for TB. I still have the scar on my arm from that jab (as do all my peers) and I remember it well. Do they mass immunize in Oz as well?
As far as I am aware they dont use the BCG on mass in Australia. Although health care workers etc I think do get vaccinated.
Old Apr 19th 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by SteveBannister
If you read the post again, the main aim is to not let the Aussies get one up on ME. Please don't take my words out of context. I don't know how many threads I've read or people I've spoken to that say we will be taken advantage of one way or another. Paying over inflated prices to have TV's converted, paying over the top to have new plugs fitted, etc. Have you got kids, if one comes home from school and says other kids are taking the mickey out of him, what would you say? You'd say, "Well, you take the mickey out of him then!"
We're going to be very naive in a new country and will have to stand up for ourselves, that's all I'm saying.

Nobody is talking about winding anybody up or whinging. I certainly didn't mention it.

In actual fact, on another thread, you said :

"Agreed, you could just shorten that sentance to Its just tedious when Australians attempt to be funny."

Your post, your words. If that's how you feel about the Aussie sense of houmor, please keep it to yourself and, " do us all a favor and dont give then more fuel. " (Another one of your own quotes).
Fair comment really...like I said just cause its easy, shouldnt be a sport... (sometimes its just too hard to resist!)
Which is another thing... If your in to sports be prepared... Its a nightmare as the Aussies win almost everything there is going........The recent debarcle in the footy was a nightmare to endure, then the cricket etc. We're holding out for the Rugby world cup..
Old Apr 27th 2003, 1:53 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Fair comment really...like I said just cause its easy, shouldnt be a sport... (sometimes its just too hard to resist!)
Which is another thing... If your in to sports be prepared... Its a nightmare as the Aussies win almost everything there is going........The recent debarcle in the footy was a nightmare to endure, then the cricket etc. We're holding out for the Rugby world cup..
Look past the bat and ball game and what is there a few good tennis players and swimmers , we beat them 3 years runing at Rugby just ask an Aussie when they last got to a football world cup never mind won it.
Track and field here has produced very little and how many of their last Olympic team were blow ins from other countries who had already turned out for another team.
They talk a great job but on the whole it is just talk , the soccer league here is just above none standard in the UK most who are any good leave at an early age and go to Europe , has Kewell ever play for an Ausisie team , no he left at 16 years old .
AFL is a joke the national has been beaten twice out of the last 3 years by spud pickers from Ireland , the only team that cares to play them at this crap sport .
They lack any Hi-Tech industries must companies are way behind those in the UK and as the Iraq war has shown have next to no defence forces , its a backward country full of want to bes having the odd good sporting teams is far from the be or end all.