Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning-kids with glue ear

Warning-kids with glue ear

Old Dec 20th 2004, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

YFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant futureYFitz has a brilliant future
Default Warning-kids with glue ear

Daughter, age 6, has had problems with glue ear since she was about 3 and has so far had 2 sets of grommets. For those without children, or ears, glue ear is a build up of sticky mucus in the tube behind the ear drum which causes hearing pronbems (at one point, daughter had 50% hearing loss in both ears) They may a small incision in the ear drum, hoover out the gunk then insert a minute piece of tube (the grommet) so that any more mucus has a route to drain from. Anyway, went for our routine hearing test in May and everything was good, grommets still in place. Had another test in Nov which the hospital cancelled and rescheduled for last Thursday. Turns out one of the grommets was in the process of working its way out and her ear was full of gunk. The Dr said she'd need another op. Usually it takes a few months for an appt to come through so I told Dr we were leaving for Oz early Jan. She said if we didn't have it done she would be in alot of pain through the flight. She got on the phone and managed to find us a bed for this morning- we need to be there at 7.30 am. Well done NHS- all credit to them for ensuring we get this sorted before we go.
Anyway, just wanted to say to any parents in a similar position it would be worth getting an ear test arranged before they go. It would have been awful for her to be in pain on such a long flight.
Better get a move on-we need to be there soon. Poor me I get to sit in a warm hospital all day with my lovely daughter and a bunch of magazines while daddy gets to stay home and look after number2 and number3 who both have colds and do all the jobs I've left for him
Yv
Old Dec 20th 2004, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond reputeSue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning-kids with glue ear

Originally Posted by YFitz
Daughter, age 6, has had problems with glue ear since she was about 3 and has so far had 2 sets of grommets. For those without children, or ears, glue ear is a build up of sticky mucus in the tube behind the ear drum which causes hearing pronbems (at one point, daughter had 50% hearing loss in both ears) They may a small incision in the ear drum, hoover out the gunk then insert a minute piece of tube (the grommet) so that any more mucus has a route to drain from. Anyway, went for our routine hearing test in May and everything was good, grommets still in place. Had another test in Nov which the hospital cancelled and rescheduled for last Thursday. Turns out one of the grommets was in the process of working its way out and her ear was full of gunk. The Dr said she'd need another op. Usually it takes a few months for an appt to come through so I told Dr we were leaving for Oz early Jan. She said if we didn't have it done she would be in alot of pain through the flight. She got on the phone and managed to find us a bed for this morning- we need to be there at 7.30 am. Well done NHS- all credit to them for ensuring we get this sorted before we go.
Anyway, just wanted to say to any parents in a similar position it would be worth getting an ear test arranged before they go. It would have been awful for her to be in pain on such a long flight.
Better get a move on-we need to be there soon. Poor me I get to sit in a warm hospital all day with my lovely daughter and a bunch of magazines while daddy gets to stay home and look after number2 and number3 who both have colds and do all the jobs I've left for him
Yv

Thanks for info

My daughter is 7 and has had one lot of grommits that have now fallen out and is due to have another op, I`ll have a chat with the doctor. We were hoping that in the warmer weather that her ears would improve as the problem only seems to effect her in the winter.

Thanks Sue x