Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning If Selling House!

Warning If Selling House!

Old May 17th 2005, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Titchy will become famous soon enough
Default Warning If Selling House!

Hello we are about to sell our property (all going well) via Haart estate agents. On signing the contract agreement we were told that commission is based on the price of the property.
Be warned this commission fee is not based as a percentage of the sale price but the original price as advice by Haart ie if they suggest a price of £105K and you sell for £99K or lower as we did the commission fee stays the at the same amount. This was not made clear to us before signing the contract. It is also not clear on the contract.

You could sell a property for £80K or less and still end up paying £2500+ commission - work out the percentage on that!

Selling is therefore a risk with Haart as they have no insentive to sell at the best price as they recieve the highest agreed commission no matter how low the price of your property sells for. Having a fixed fee would benefit the seller if the price of the property increased over the original price but that is rare these days.

If we were informed of this risk by Haart we would have never have agreed to sell with them and would have sought out a seller that charged fees as a percentage of the selling price.

Haart manager claims that they are the only agent that charges a fixed fee in this way, good luck to them!

All times are GMT
next newest topic | next oldest
Old May 17th 2005, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Warning If Selling House!

Originally Posted by Titchy
Hello we are about to sell our property (all going well) via Haart estate agents. On signing the contract agreement we were told that commission is based on the price of the property.
Be warned this commission fee is not based as a percentage of the sale price but the original price as advice by Haart ie if they suggest a price of £105K and you sell for £99K or lower as we did the commission fee stays the at the same amount. This was not made clear to us before signing the contract. It is also not clear on the contract.

You could sell a property for £80K or less and still end up paying £2500+ commission - work out the percentage on that!

Selling is therefore a risk with Haart as they have no insentive to sell at the best price as they recieve the highest agreed commission no matter how low the price of your property sells for. Having a fixed fee would benefit the seller if the price of the property increased over the original price but that is rare these days.

If we were informed of this risk by Haart we would have never have agreed to sell with them and would have sought out a seller that charged fees as a percentage of the selling price.

Haart manager claims that they are the only agent that charges a fixed fee in this way, good luck to them!

only accept an offer through that agent if they agree to charge you on the sale price. In practice you can tear up the contract and go to another estate agent without fear of any comeback, we did this with our first estate agent and found out that they will not take any action for fear of negative press.

We were advised by our second agent (we ended up selling with the third) that they would never attempt to pursue a seller that broke the contract as they would lose loads of other customers and potential customers in the fall out.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare
only accept an offer through that agent if they agree to charge you on the sale price. In practice you can tear up the contract and go to another estate agent without fear of any comeback, we did this with our first estate agent and found out that they will not take any action for fear of negative press.

We were advised by our second agent (we ended up selling with the third) that they would never attempt to pursue a seller that broke the contract as they would lose loads of other customers and potential customers in the fall out.
We were under the impression that we were being charged on the final sale price as this is what we were told before signing the contract. If the agent had been clear and honest and told us that the if your sale price decreases our commission percentage increases as is the case here then we would have shown him the door.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

We were under the impression that we were being charged on the final sale price as this is what we were told before signing the contract. If the agent had been clear and honest and told us that the if your sale price decreases our commission percentage increases as is the case here then we would have shown him the door.
I hope Haart do lose a heap of customers due to their charging policies and misleading sales agents thus this warning.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never heard that! I have always been told that the rate is the proportion of the sale price. Any agent that tries that one should be told where to put their contract. I would go back to them and tear the contract up.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I have never heard that! I have always been told that the rate is the proportion of the sale price. Any agent that tries that one should be told where to put their contract. I would go back to them and tear the contract up.
Too late, price for sale is already agreed we could refuse to pay but that would result in legal action that we cannot afford.

Apparently due to house prices falling more agents are charging in this way and relying on peoples perception of charges being of a percentage when it is not.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:27 pm

Shelley29 is an unknown quantity at this point

That is shit. Do you know I am absolutely sick of estate agents. Have been on the market now since beginning of Feb and had 1 viewer. Reduced by £10k and still nothing. They don't seem to give a stuff either. In all fairness to them, they are only gonna charge us .5% of the sale price which is all well and good but where are the f-ing viewers???????

Arranging for another agent to come and value. May as well go with someone else if we are gonna reduce again and pay more in fees.

Sorry to hijack this thread but when I saw the words ESTATE AGENTS it just made my blood boil!!!!

Sorry - rant over - thank you.
Old May 17th 2005, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Too late, price for sale is already agreed we could refuse to pay but that would result in legal action that we cannot afford.

Apparently due to house prices falling more agents are charging in this way and relying on peoples perception of charges being of a percentage when it is not.
Have you rechecked all the small print? Seems really dodgy to me and could possibly be a case of mis-selling?
Old May 17th 2005, 1:41 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I would ask my solicitor to check it over. They could have valued it a £500,000 then sold it for less than half that. I can't believe that would even get to court - it's outrageous
Old May 17th 2005, 1:45 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I know of Haart and this is their policy. Nothing illegal in it however, if you were misled as to what they were offering (and you won't be the first) they are a member of the ombudsman scheme for estate agents who can be contacted on www.oea.co.uk -
Old May 17th 2005, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shelley29
That is shit. Do you know I am absolutely sick of estate agents. Have been on the market now since beginning of Feb and had 1 viewer. Reduced by £10k and still nothing. They don't seem to give a stuff either. In all fairness to them, they are only gonna charge us .5% of the sale price which is all well and good but where are the f-ing viewers???????

Arranging for another agent to come and value. May as well go with someone else if we are gonna reduce again and pay more in fees.

Sorry to hijack this thread but when I saw the words ESTATE AGENTS it just made my blood boil!!!!

Sorry - rant over - thank you.
you get what you pay for, change quickly! It's no great trauma to change agents and you will find that the best ones will not just get people through the door, they will get the right people through the door. We sold within 3 weeks of changing agents