Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Warning of estate agent scam

Warning of estate agent scam

Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future
Default Warning of estate agent scam

My brother has had his house up for sale now for 18 months with very little interest. He has even been dropping the house price to sell.

He finally found a buyer....but!

He has recently found out that the agent who is selling the house has been telling people that it is sold so that he can get his friend to buy it and make a hefty 100k+ profit. The house in todays market is very under valued and the agent knows this.

However my brother has signed a contract with to sell the house to the agents friend for the fixed price.

Other agents who my brother has hed re-value the house (this is how he found out) have told him that it should be at least 100k more and that the agent in question is renound for this scam. So all the other agents know about them too.

Thought i'd bring this to the attention of everyone on this forum as it is heartbreaking to think they are getting away with it.

If you require the name of the agent then please pm me.

oh by the way i got my visa granted today!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:34 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Warning of estate agent scam

That is really bad. Your brother should report this agent

Congratulations on getting your visa BTW.
Julie
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
That is really bad. Your brother should report this agent
Not only should he report the agent but he has a duty to report it!!
This used to go on regularly but I thought it had been stamped out now!!

CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING YOUR VISA !!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:41 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Estate Agents scamming ??? Is there no-one left in which we can place our trust ?
Old Sep 21st 2005, 11:47 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leedslad
My brother has had his house up for sale now for 18 months with very little interest. He has even been dropping the house price to sell.

He has recently found out that the agent who is selling the house has been telling people that it is sold so that he can get his friend to buy it and make a hefty 100k+ profit. The house in todays market is very under valued and the agent knows this.

However my brother has signed a contract with to sell the house to the agents friend for the fixed price.

Other agents who my brother has hed re-value the house (this is how he found out) have told him that it should be at least 100k more and that the agent in question is renound for this scam. So all the other agents know about them too.

Thought i'd bring this to the attention of everyone on this forum as it is heartbreaking to think they are getting away with it.

I'm sorry but that is crap. The agent is contracted to sell the house for the best price, if they are doing something illegal, then the contract is surely null and void and your brother cannot be held to that contract. He needs to report them immediately and inform the agents what he has found out, how he has reported them and unless they sort it out, he will go public.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm sorry but that is crap. The agent is contracted to sell the house for the best price, if they are doing something illegal, then the contract is surely null and void and your brother cannot be held to that contract. He needs to report them immediately and inform the agents what he has found out, how he has reported them and unless they sort it out, he will go public.
That is what i told him to do, but he says that the agent is very sly and will just wriggle out of it. Lets face it there's 100k to gain, or lose in my bro's case.

Its all getting sorted out at the moment,just wanted to let you guys know that it still goes on.

Thanks for the congrats everyone!!! the waiting is over thank god
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

That is what i told him to do, but he says that the agent is very sly and will just wriggle out of it. Lets face it there's 100k to gain, or lose in my bro's case.

Its all getting sorted out at the moment,just wanted to let you guys know that it still goes on.

Thanks for the congrats everyone!!! the waiting is over thank god

If your brother is still in the UK he should phone some up like the Citizens Advice Bureau to see if he has any way out. A drop of 100k is a lot of money. I would not give it up without a fight.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:21 pm
Marvin for PM

Whitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really niceWhitby Wanderers is just really nice

Well Done on Visa
What will you do with your business? expand over there?Ange
Old Sep 21st 2005, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Whitby Wanderers
Well Done on Visa
What will you do with your business? expand over there?Ange

Sorry guys should have said my brother is in Perth

Thanks again for the congrats.

Ange: I'm gonna set up over there working from home and build it up. Want to be my own boss for a change. Sick of making other people rich.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Ange: I'm gonna set up over there working from home and build it up. Want to be my own boss for a change. Sick of making other people rich.

Your brother will not be bound by the contract as ........doesnt matter how slippery the EA is, it is fraud.
Report him to the EA regulators and not only will he get out of the contract but Mr.Slippery will also lose his job(I know somebody that this happened to)
And BIG CONGRATS with the visa
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:40 pm

chatty34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations on getting your visa!!!!!!
What a shame that your brothers plight is overshadowing it. I hope that your brother is reporting them to the OEA, friends of ours did and took them to court and they WON!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:41 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

The agent thing is disgusting

BIG CONGRATS ON YOUR VISA
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Muchas gracias! for the congrats

will be a few of these tonight
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 12:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Warning of estate agent scam

Originally Posted by seang
Estate Agents scamming ??? Is there no-one left in which we can place our trust ?
LOL