Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WArning to Barclays users in AUS - PINSentry is here

WArning to Barclays users in AUS - PINSentry is here

Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:19 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default WArning to Barclays users in AUS - PINSentry is here

Just tried to use my Barclays UK account to transfer some money to a friend back in England and - bamb - you cant setup new payees without this wonderful little device and your Debit Card

http://www.barclays.co.uk/pinsentry/

Nor can you login without it soon too.....

What a painful and stupid level of security. Not only can you not transfer, login with out this little gem and your card. But its going to take 7 days to arrive but then it has to go overseas! How many of us abroad have all these things with us all the time - let alone in the uk??! Ridiculous.

If I could change bank in the UK now I would - problem is - i am here.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

The Stevenses will become famous soon enoughThe Stevenses will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WArning to Barclays users in AUS - PINSentry is here

We had exactly the same trouble, it was a nightmare, such a performance and when we wanted to transfer some of our money over here once we arrived. Well, we ended up doing telephone banking to the UK each night for 5 nights to transfer money to the HiFx account in the UK so that they could transfer the money to our account here.

Not to mention trying to withdraw cash here on our connect cards to keep having it declined and saying 'contact your bank' so another evening of telephoning Barclays in the UK to get them to reactivate our cards once we had assured them we weren't fraudsters!!

I know they are trying to protect us from fraud but what a performance.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:24 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
Just tried to use my Barclays UK account to transfer some money to a friend back in England and - bamb - you cant setup new payees without this wonderful little device and your Debit Card

What a painful and stupid level of security. Not only can you not transfer, login with out this little gem and your card. But its going to take 7 days to arrive but then it has to go overseas! How many of us abroad have all these things with us all the time - let alone in the uk??! Ridiculous.

Yes, I discovered this some weeks ago. I tried to transfer some money to my brother's account, but couldn't without the doofer. I ended up sanding him a cheque, as I had managed to conveniently bring my Sterling cheque books with me.

S
Old Jul 25th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, I discovered this some weeks ago. I tried to transfer some money to my brother's account, but couldn't without the doofer. I ended up sanding him a cheque, as I had managed to conveniently bring my Sterling cheque books with me.

S
Nationwide has something similar, they sent me mine to my Aussie address although I haven't had a need to use it yet.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

We knew about this before we came out, so got one just before coming.
BUT, it just stopped working one day, we had everything right, but it just kept going back to the log in page, no error message or anything. So we had arranged to buy Ozzie money, and could not pay them. Phoned the lovely woman in the UK who said she would sort anything out for us if needed, who was on holiday, and nobody else in the bank would do anything. Phoned telephone banking, but we are not registered for it, so they wouldn't do anything.
We e-mailed the internet help desk who told us there was nothing wrong with it, we should be able to get in.
Eventually phoned help line for internet banking, who took security questions, and then said we had them wrong!! We didn't, we asked if we could spell them out as it was an indian lady with not too good English, but no, they said we had them wrong. We said no we didn't, they said yes we did, spoke to a manager who also would not ask the questions again, said there was no way his lady had misheared. GRRRR.

So, this is a few days later, manage to get through to nice lady in UK bank who confirms out security questions were right (which we already knew), and put our complaint in wrong.
So we have to rephone the internet number AGAIN as she couldn't do it, after ages on the phone we finally find out that their system had detected a virus on a computor we had used (the last time had been on a campsite computer) so had stopped our internet banking. That had been over a month before, no letter sent, no e-mail, no error message when trying to log in, and even then it took about half an hour for the 'trained' indian man to work out what it was.

If I had my time again I would not be using Barclays!
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Thanks fro the warning as I too bank with Barclays. Thankfully I've still got time to sort it out before I go. Any recommendations? How about HSBC ? Am I right in thinking I could go to a HSBC cash machine in Perth and withdraw cash from my Uk account? or is that too easy?
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:48 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mark213

Think nationwide or doing something similar but waiting for mine to turn up.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 3:39 pm
sunny coast

jonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond reputejonni boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Stevenses
We had exactly the same trouble, it was a nightmare, such a performance and when we wanted to transfer some of our money over here once we arrived. Well, we ended up doing telephone banking to the UK each night for 5 nights to transfer money to the HiFx account in the UK so that they could transfer the money to our account here.

Not to mention trying to withdraw cash here on our connect cards to keep having it declined and saying 'contact your bank' so another evening of telephoning Barclays in the UK to get them to reactivate our cards once we had assured them we weren't fraudsters!!

I know they are trying to protect us from fraud but what a performance.

we had the same kinda problems when we moved over last time,so while in barclays paying our bond on a property over in oz last week i thought i'd ask if there was anything we could do about it before we fly back out and it turns out they have a thing called 'destination flagline' and you just ring and let them know that you'll be in australia for X amount of time so they know the card and account will be being used over there. the number is 0844 5560083.
not rang them yet but the lady said thats all we need ro do.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 4:57 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to let you know Natwest is doing one as well and will be needed for online purchases as well.

Got my thingimajig card thing trough a few weeks ago.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

We had the same palaver with Barclays. Since we are still in the UK it wasn't too onerous, but still VERY inconvenient and just another episode in the long running saga of Barclays trying every which way to stop us removing our money from our account.:curse: Our Barclays account is offsetting against our mortgage so as soon as the house sale goes through, it will be closed - stuff em! They have lost our business by causing us stress and worry on too many occasions by changing rules without telling their customers.:curse:
Old Jul 25th 2008, 5:11 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

it is the intention of the British banking community to have this device for all online banking transactions more than £100, and soon!

I have my little gizmo already. (nationwide, very efficient) and the Nat West one arrived not so long after.

It's not a problem you just need to obtain one of the card reader 'thingys' before you leave. No need to panic and swop accounts or anything.
Old Jul 25th 2008, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

belfastflyer is an unknown quantity at this point

halifax bank of scotland wont be bringing them in - thats official from their online dept!

thank god for some common sense!
Old Jul 26th 2008, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
It's not a problem you just need to obtain one of the card reader 'thingys' before you leave. No need to panic and swop accounts or anything.
According to the bloke on the internet banking 'help' line when our internet banking had been stopped without telling us, they will stop your account if you take too long to put the number in the computer, or if someone has got a number from it and not used it. Idiots! Every time I use the stupid thing I expect it to not work.
Old Jul 27th 2008, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future

I managed to withdraw cash from an ATM here in Oz yesterday using my Barclay's connect card. It gave me the cash with no problems and no extra stuff needed, just my regular card and pin number. At least you can still take cash out of an ATM this way !!
Old Jul 27th 2008, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FloridaLee
I managed to withdraw cash from an ATM here in Oz yesterday using my Barclay's connect card. It gave me the cash with no problems and no extra stuff needed, just my regular card and pin number. At least you can still take cash out of an ATM this way !!
Beware of e charges though. I had mess on with Barclays when I was in Aus, due to some duff information given to me. Ended up charging me over 240 quid in charges, then there were the telephone calls at 2am in the morning to the local branch, nightmare.

When I came back, I complained and they refunded my charges and gave me compensation...

Now I have one of those pinsecurity things..what a carry on!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.