Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A warning to all heading for SE QLD

A warning to all heading for SE QLD

Old May 12th 2003, 12:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Talking A warning to all heading for SE QLD

Being a Brit living in Brisbane, I find myself duty bound to inform my compatiots back in Blighty of the real situation down here in SE Queensland. The best way to do this is to describe the hardship I experienced yesterday Sunday, which was just a typical nothing special week-end.

Rolled out of Bed about 08:00 weather forcast was for 23C so put on shorts and tee shirt (This is suitable clobber for 95% of the year). Wandered down to the papershop to pick up the local paper before having breakfast outside on the terrace.

Decided to spend the day at the beach so drove down to the Gold Coast to a place called Tallebugera about 80kms and 1 hours drive away experienceing no traffic jams or snarlups. Spent the morning swimming and lounging on the virtually deserted beach as the locals consider it too cold this time of the year (remind me what is the average temp and weather in Nov in the UK).

For lunch wandered down to a local fish and chip shop and had the same (disaster I could only get Fish in breadcrumbs, no battered fish as it's not supposed to be good for you, a' well it's a cross I'll have to bear).

Wandered back to the beach after lunch and did a repeat of the mornings activities. This was when disaster struck about 16:00, a few dark clouds appeared and rain threatened (temp was still 20C plus), packed up the car and drove back home, again no traffic jams. Just before arriveing home filled up with petrol at 63.9c/litre (cheapest I've ever seen in Oz).

Once at home had tea and cake on the terrace whilst watching the sun go down ( the rain never materialised).

So all you potential Ozzies you have been warned about the terrible conditions we live under down here.

Old May 12th 2003, 1:09 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A warning to all heading for SE QLD

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Being a Brit living in Brisbane, I find myself duty bound to inform my compatiots back in Blighty of the real situation down here in SE Queensland. The best way to do this is to describe the hardship I experienced yesterday Sunday, which was just a typical nothing special week-end.

Rolled out of Bed about 08:00 weather forcast was for 23C so put on shorts and tee shirt (This is suitable clobber for 95% of the year). Wandered down to the papershop to pick up the local paper before having breakfast outside on the terrace.

Decided to spend the day at the beach so drove down to the Gold Coast to a place called Tallebugera about 80kms and 1 hours drive away experienceing no traffic jams or snarlups. Spent the morning swimming and lounging on the virtually deserted beach as the locals consider it too cold this time of the year (remind me what is the average temp and weather in Nov in the UK).

For lunch wandered down to a local fish and chip shop and had the same (disaster I could only get Fish in breadcrumbs, no battered fish as it's not supposed to be good for you, a' well it's a cross I'll have to bear).

Wandered back to the beach after lunch and did a repeat of the mornings activities. This was when disaster struck about 16:00, a few dark clouds appeared and rain threatened (temp was still 20C plus), packed up the car and drove back home, again no traffic jams. Just before arriveing home filled up with petrol at 63.9c/litre (cheapest I've ever seen in Oz).

Once at home had tea and cake on the terrace whilst watching the sun go down ( the rain never materialised).

So all you potential Ozzies you have been warned about the terrible conditions we live under down here.

Well Sunday was very tough for me too. Rolled out of bed and watered the geraniums on the terrace at about 7.00am - look like they'll be rather splendid this year too. Went up to our 'bach' (mature garden with tumbledown wooden cottage we bought for investment, about 2800 sq metres, on a hill overlooking steep wooded valley) and watered that too. Entertained the kids. Entertained the wife. Avoided talking to the neighbours. Had a coupla tinnies. Had a prosciutto sandwich on fresh bread I bought earlier. Sunbathed a little (30 degrees C again, getting a tad tiresome). Went home first to watch the Chelsea-Liverpool match. Helped wife get the little ones in from her car. Coupla tinnies. Fell asleep.

Tough life and this is Europe.

Cheers - Don
Old May 12th 2003, 4:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

...and as the sun falls and the temperature drops to the mid teens and the uninsulated house lets all the heat out, the expensive to run electric heater goes on to try and warm at least one room in the house before going to bed hoping that the thick quilt and extra blanket will be warm enough to prevent waking in the middle of the night due to the cold..
Old May 12th 2003, 5:17 am
Bilbo

Originally posted by jayr
...and as the sun falls and the temperature drops to the mid teens and the uninsulated house lets all the heat out, the expensive to run electric heater goes on to try and warm at least one room in the house before going to bed hoping that the thick quilt and extra blanket will be warm enough to prevent waking in the middle of the night due to the cold..
Sometimes I wonder how there came to be so many Britons.

Old May 12th 2003, 5:58 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Ohh you,re gonna get it now from PB.
Old May 12th 2003, 5:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bilbo
Sometimes I wonder how there came to be so many Britons.

Cos in the UK there's central heating
Old May 12th 2003, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Jayr, you made me laugh!!! In our house the children come rushing into our bedroom with their school uniform to "warm it up" and dress in front of our fan heater!!!

Had to agree with the posting about the day out in Tallebudgera though, had many a happy day out down there, but we`re fully acclimatised now - and it`s too darn cold!!! Mind you, most of us can`t "wander down" to the local shop to get a newspaper etc. over here. It`s a 7km round trip to our local shop - OK so I`m lazy!!!

Loved Don`s post, redressing the balance too. Just goes to show you can have great days in both UK and OZ!!!
Old May 12th 2003, 6:16 am
Bilbo

Cos in the UK there's central heating
Just get the wife to handle it if its too cold.

Old May 12th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Rosy

Loved Don`s post, redressing the balance too. Just goes to show you can have great days in both UK and OZ!!!
Totally agree I think Uk, NZ and Australia are all great places to live but with different advantages to each.

I've spend more than half my life in the Uk and I don't regret a moment of it. Now I'm living in Brisbane and enjoying that as well.

Non of these places is Paradise, but then again nowhere is, you just have to enjoy the unique features of the place you are currently living and not always think the grass is greener somewhere else or else you will always be miserable.

This board has to many people slagging of Australia and NZ, I'm just redressing the balance. Most people who come here, once they are here can find so much to do they forget about this board.

It's just because I've got a grotty job (but with internet access) and plenty of free time at work that I post. You won't catch me posting at the week-end or on holidays as I've got better things to do.
Old May 12th 2003, 6:30 am
Karma Comedian

It's just because I've got a grotty job (but with internet access) and plenty of free time at work that I post. You won't catch me posting at the week-end or on holidays as I've got better things to do.

..ditto, a good way to pass some time
Old May 12th 2003, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I must bore easily or something.

Getting the paper, going to the beach and buying fish and chips is nice now and again. My point is tho, when there is bloody little else to do it becomes very very boring.

Yesterday we did just that, drive to Mooloolaba, massive traffic jam as it was mothers day. Fish and chip shop did do batter, it was bright yellow like saffron, but ate it after the 50 minute wait for our order. Some aussie bloke having a fit because his chips were cold, was the best bit the guy was so peed off he was so red he looked like he'd have a heart attack. Then he went berko again cause hed been overcharged.

Walking on the beach, yippee how exciting, then, pulled over for breath test, passed, then home to dark house 5.15. News full of governor general, pedophile, rape, blah blah, turn off TV. Try TV again, Scream with laughter at Aussie soap awards, bore of this after 20 mins Car hoon nearly commits suicide in our driveway and off to bed.

I seriously think I enjoyed the beach more in the UK, you know get all excited about 2 weeks in sun, really enjoy it, here its just so what else?
Old May 12th 2003, 6:43 am
Bilbo

Originally posted by dotty
I must bore easily or something.

Getting the paper, going to the beach and buying fish and chips is nice now and again. My point is tho, when there is bloody little else to do it becomes very very boring.

Yesterday we did just that, drive to Mooloolaba, massive traffic jam as it was mothers day. Fish and chip shop did do batter, it was bright yellow like saffron, but ate it after the 50 minute wait for our order. Some aussie bloke having a fit because his chips were cold, was the best bit the guy was so peed off he was so red he looked like he'd have a heart attack. Then he went berko again cause hed been overcharged.

Walking on the beach, yippee how exciting, then, pulled over for breath test, passed, then home to dark house 5.15. News full of governor general, pedophile, rape, blah blah, turn off TV. Try TV again, Scream with laughter at Aussie soap awards, bore of this after 20 mins Car hoon nearly commits suicide in our driveway and off to bed.

I seriously think I enjoyed the beach more in the UK, you know get all excited about 2 weeks in sun, really enjoy it, here its just so what else?
Tell your kids that you won't give them their pocket money unless they hand over their lysergic acid diethylamide. Take the rest of your life off and sit on a promontory and feed the cold chips to the gulls.

Old May 12th 2003, 8:33 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Totally agree I think Uk, NZ and Australia are all great places to live but with different advantages to each.

I've spend more than half my life in the Uk and I don't regret a moment of it. Now I'm living in Brisbane and enjoying that as well.

Non of these places is Paradise, but then again nowhere is, you just have to enjoy the unique features of the place you are currently living and not always think the grass is greener somewhere else or else you will always be miserable.

This board has to many people slagging of Australia and NZ, I'm just redressing the balance. Most people who come here, once they are here can find so much to do they forget about this board.

Nice one Kiwipaul,

I for one use this forum purely as a source of info. The positive posts are always good to read and the neagtive posts are only people's opinions and I have the basic intelligence to differentiate the negative posts from the honest posts.

We're heading for Brisbane next year and when we get there, we don't intend using this forum anymore - I'd rather use my time and effort getting to know the place and adapting to my new life.
Old May 12th 2003, 11:43 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Yes i would agree.

Nice to read a positive post once in a while.

Also good to know that for some people the pint glass is still half full !

Cheers

Pete.
Old May 12th 2003, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Don't think i could ever get bored of the beach or get bored of going to the same park etc. I'm not that sort of person and I'm quite happy to sit and take in the awesome beauty of this world we live in no matter where I am or how often I've been there! When I was living in England I used to take my horse for a ride to the same country park nearly everyday and everyday I used to enjoy this little pocket of English countryside even though it was the same. Every time I used to stop my horse on top of the hill to take in the view of the surrounding Essex countryside, I never got bored.

by the way, last Sunday we had a great family day out at Eastern Creek, watching the V8 Supercars. OK so it was cold and windy but it was a great day as we were all spending time out together as a family and watching something we all enjoy watching, which is more important to us than what the weather is doing or whether we'd been and done it before!

Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.