Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

warning about emirates....

warning about emirates....

Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: warning about emirates....

We emailed Singapore Airlines in advance and got a confirmation from them... staff asked for this email @ check-in and you could tell if we didn't have this we would have been buggered!!

Also, we have have just booked our 1 way ticket for 28.12.05 and have emailed Singapore a whole list of questions

1. Can we have laptop and cables etc... as extra hand luggage

2. Can we take nappies and baby drinks etc.. as extra hand luggage

3. Can My wife take handbag with passports, tickets and stuff as extra hand luggage

Singapore emailed back the following day confirming we could do all of the above and have 7 kg of hand luggage each.

My advice is : Email any questions before departure and make the questions very clear. Also print a few copies of the emails with the reply on and put a copy in everyones' coat pockets in case you lose 1.

Last edited by tabby; Nov 8th 2005 at 12:32 pm.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:57 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chilliman
I'm flying with singapore on the 22nd November, I have checked with their reservations team twice - both times they said provided you have the visa in your passport no problem. Should I get something in writing then??
Going on what everyone's said above - I'd say it was essential !
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

My advise email before departing any questions and make the questions very clear, and also print a few copies of the emails with the reply on and put copy in everyones coat pockets in case you lose 1.[/QUOTE]

Which email address did you use, this one? ...

mailto:[email protected]

Hmm I wonder if I can fill up my laptop bag with extra stuff and leave the laptop out! Having a nightmare trying to stick to the 40 kg's!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:10 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point

what a nightmare

thanks for sharing it with us so we can ensure we a fore-armed!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:50 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice

We've flown Emirates several times and they've been fantastic each time.

When we did the big move, we requested 40kg and at the time they advised 'make sure it's printed on the ticket or it won't be accepted at check in'. We did, we double checked our tickets which were fine...and actually got away with a combined 94kg (two of us)!

So, moral is, CHECK THE TICKET.

Think you should take it up with the agent.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

got an email from Singapore air ...

"Dear Mr Stockton,
As long as you are in possession of a migrant visa which shows MIG on it and also states that you can remain in Australia indefinitely, you will be allowed 40kgs for checked baggage and one piece of hand luggage up to 7kgs. It is the weight that counts not the number of pieces. Please also note that the maximum weight per piece of checked baggage is 32kgs due health and safety regulations. Please note this entitlement can be exercised once only.
Regards/ Singapore Airlines"
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:51 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: warning about emirates....

Wish I'd known all this before coming to the UK - I was slapped with a £168 charge at the check-in desk for being over the 20kg limit!

Had I known that I could have wangled 40kg, I'd have been OK!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:01 pm
off to Byron Bay....

loidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the roughloidy is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nixstuff
We've flown Emirates several times and they've been fantastic each time.

When we did the big move, we requested 40kg and at the time they advised 'make sure it's printed on the ticket or it won't be accepted at check in'. We did, we double checked our tickets which were fine...and actually got away with a combined 94kg (two of us)!

So, moral is, CHECK THE TICKET.

Think you should take it up with the agent.
the 40kg allowance was printed on our flight details....we didn't have an actual ticket because it was an e-ticket...so the flight itinerary was all we had and that had it printed on very clearly, i don't see how it is the agents fault when emirates told us personally it had been approved by them???