Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Be warned about how hard it is on the family and friends

Be warned about how hard it is on the family and friends

Old Aug 20th 2006, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all
Smile Be warned about how hard it is on the family and friends

Hi all,

We have just exchanged contracts on our house and have booked our flights for the 2nd October 2006.

For all of you who are have not told family and friends or only just told them be warned at just how bad they can take the news. We told our family earlier this year and they all got very upset as did I, however as the sale of our house kept falling through it has taken a long time to announce our actual leaving date. Telling everyone the leaving date has been just as hard as when we first told them we were going, every conversation I have had in the last week has been very emotional for my family and friends. I am putting on a hard front for the next 4 weeks as I have way to much to do and can not start breaking down yet and will probably blubber like a baby in the last two weeks.

Even though it is really hard saying goodbye, I would never let it put me off going, but for those of you who have yet to experience this (especially if you have children) make sure you get yourself emotionally ready as this is by far the hardest part of the move.

Best of luck to you all,
Simone
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: Be warned about how hard it is on the family and friends

It is very, very hard...................and when you say those final goodbyes whether it be at the airport or at home, you will think that your heart is going to break. It is devasting.
It does get easier with time, but I dont think you will ever forget that feeling................it just stays with you.

All the best, where are you off to?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

Simoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to allSimoned1 is a name known to all

Perth, getting very excited and also very scared, how long have you been there?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

We have been here in Perth exactly 2 years now, and at first it was very hard. Perth now feel like home to us.............still get homesick on occasions. Where in Perth are you heading for?
Old Aug 20th 2006, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
We have been here in Perth exactly 2 years now, and at first it was very hard. Perth now feel like home to us.............still get homesick on occasions. Where in Perth are you heading for?
The city initially until we learn the about the different areas a bit more
Old Aug 20th 2006, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

rossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nicerossfive5 is just really nice

What helped us leave our home country was never thinking it was for good and always knowing we could go back if we wanted to. Over time we realised we never wanted to go back. It helped flying the MIL over once a year and my folks also visited once a year. The first 2 years were by far the worst.