Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On Warfarin while visiting Oz

On Warfarin while visiting Oz

Old May 20th 2009, 10:17 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default On Warfarin while visiting Oz

My mum is coming out to visit next year, but since she is on Warfarin this needs to be checked weekly.

Anyone know who I would ask about this?

Thanks
Old May 20th 2009, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all
Default Re: On Warfarin while visiting Oz

Originally Posted by kar-kier
My mum is coming out to visit next year, but since she is on Warfarin this needs to be checked weekly.

Thanks
I would call Medicare for a direct straight answer. No need to beat about the bush and ask other forum members as their advice and experience could be out of date. I'd like to give you a Medicare phone number to call but seeing you live in Mandurah I'm sure you can find out yourself.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:38 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by northernlights
I would call Medicare for a direct straight answer. No need to beat about the bush and ask other forum members as their advice ........
I agree, and as Warfarin is basically rat poison, we could advise a trip to Bunnings...

Being an existing condition, that does technically put it out of reach of Medicare benefits even on the reciprocal scheme.

Old May 20th 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree, and as Warfarin is basically rat poison, we could advise a trip to Bunnings...
Warfarin doesn't actually work as a rat poison even though they still sell it in Bunnings. Got to use products containing brodifacoum as it does the trick. Dying rats have a massive thirst for water after consuming this product and you might just find a bunch of rats swimming in your pool.
Old May 20th 2009, 12:49 pm
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Warfarin doesn't actually work as a rat poison even though they still sell it in Bunnings. Got to use products containing brodifacoum as it does the trick. Dying rats have a massive thirst for water after consuming this product and you might just find a bunch of rats swimming in your pool.
Thanks people!! Damn sickly mother, talk about inconsiderate!
Old May 20th 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks people!! Damn sickly mother, talk about inconsiderate!
I don't know much about your Mother's illness but I guess being on Warfarin she has heart/blood trouble. If she is sickly and aged then there's no way I would risk such a long flight. I don't know your personal circumstances and don't know how important/urgent the trip is.

There are many health proffessionals on this site who could give you more information if you elaborate on her health issues to weigh up the pros and cons.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:44 am
Living the dream!

I don't know much about your Mother's illness but I guess being on Warfarin she has heart/blood trouble. If she is sickly and aged then there's no way I would risk such a long flight. I don't know your personal circumstances and don't know how important/urgent the trip is.

There are many health proffessionals on this site who could give you more information if you elaborate on her health issues to weigh up the pros and cons.
She's not even 60 yet!! She has blood, rather than heart problems, and actually keeps really well . . . apart from the daily warfarin. She was a little over weight, but has now lost almost 2 stone, and is well within the healthy range of BMI!
We left Glasgow in Jan this year, and it will be April next year before she comes out. She def wants to come, as we cannot afford a trip home to see her and her husband.
The trip it's self isn't really a problem, we just need to make sure that her INR can get checked while she is here.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

Thanks
My Mother visited a few years ago while on warfarin (blood thining agent). She had her blood tested regularly at the local med centre. The med centre would have the blood tested and call her to tell her how much to take (half a tab etc). It was all covered within the reciprocal agreement at the time (5 years ago)

Pete
Old May 21st 2009, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Totally correct - my husband takes warfarin and just goes to our GP and gets his INR tested, then doc tells him if to alter his dose. Your mum will be fine.

good luck
Old May 21st 2009, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: On Warfarin while visiting Oz

My Mum is here at the moment and on warfarin. gets it check every week.As she is very elderly doctor even arranged for home visits ...all this is taken care of under reciprocal agreement. Might be worth going into medicare and getting her a reciprocal medicare card. easy enough to do she will need her passport and proof of what visa she is on. otherwise without this ,the surgery will probably charge you and then you will have to claim it back from MC.