Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WAR! - will all flights be suspended?

WAR! - will all flights be suspended?

Old Jan 27th 2003, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Shikse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WAR! - will all flights be suspended?

I was wondering - if the war in Iraq does break out, would or could all flights be suspended?

Imagine............., you've just been granted your Willy Wonka Golden ticket (Visa), after a seemingly lifelong wait, only to discover that you can't physically get to OZ!!!!!!!!!! Am I being a bit neurotic here? Could this ACTUALLY happen?

Has anybody else had these thoughts? If so, what's your plan of action? Get Visa and get your big ass over there ASAP?!

Shikse - always looking on the brighter side.........
Old Jan 27th 2003, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I would expect flights to go ahead, they usually just re-route which could mean not going over the middle east. May add a few hours to the journey though.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I'm flying to Melbourne next Friday with Air Emirates via Dubai and Singapore so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that war doesn't break out before then.

Not bothered if they have to re-route, but if they cancel I'll be devastated as I've waited all year for this holiday.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 5:21 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WAR! - will all flights be suspended?

Originally posted by Shikse
I was wondering - if the war in Iraq does break out, would or could all flights be suspended?

Imagine............., you've just been granted your Willy Wonka Golden ticket (Visa), after a seemingly lifelong wait, only to discover that you can't physically get to OZ!!!!!!!!!! Am I being a bit neurotic here? Could this ACTUALLY happen?

Has anybody else had these thoughts? If so, what's your plan of action? Get Visa and get your big ass over there ASAP?!

Shikse - always looking on the brighter side.........
Do not worry be all over before you know it , the Aussies have sent 150 troops and 14 planes plus 3 ships , Sod Them will give up in the face of such a force.

Old Jan 28th 2003, 5:35 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Do not worry be all over before you know it , the Aussies have sent 150 troops and 14 planes plus 3 ships , Sod Them will give up in the face of such a force.

it's 1500 ... one thousand five hundred... I hear saddam is very worried about this news

but "fair's do's" ... they are trying to help .... bless their little cotton socks

cheers
.P.S why on earth should flights be suspended? It didn't happen in the last Gulf war, and it didn't happen in any wars to my knowledge, I flew last time with the troubles there,I was heading to asia, and the planes take a werid route, they change flight paths over certain countries , they just avoid flying over certain countries and take another route .
Old Jan 28th 2003, 6:28 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
it's 1500 ... one thousand five hundred... I hear saddam is very worried about this news

but "fair's do's" ... they are trying to help .... bless their little cotton socks

cheers
.P.S why on earth should flights be suspended? It didn't happen in the last Gulf war, and it didn't happen in any wars to my knowledge, I flew last time with the troubles there,I was heading to asia, and the planes take a werid route, they change flight paths over certain countries , they just avoid flying over certain countries and take another route .
Only 150 SAS, the rest are on the boats well out the way and little Johnny says no Australian will take part in any action whats new? 1500 troops no way these boys could raise that in a month of Sundays.
Trying help no way , more like wanting to play with the big boys only they have few toys .

The potential commitment outlined by Mr Howard included:

ABOUT 150 special forces troops.

UP TO 14 F/A-18 Hornet fighter aircraft.

FRIGATES Anzac and Darwin, currently stationed in the Gulf.

A COMMAND vessel expected to be the Manoora or the Kanimbla.

SEVERAL P3C Orion surveillance aircraft.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jan 28th 2003 at 6:48 am.
Old Jan 28th 2003, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point

It's taken about 2.5 years in all to get my PR visa and we finally emigrate at the end of March, a couple of days before our visa expires (bad timing due to family wedding). With such a small window it's in the lap of the gods to see if we will make it. It goes Belfast, via Iraq onto Afganistan with a quick stopover in Korea, before our final destination of Australia. I know my tounge is firmly in my cheek but the flightpath is not that far from this.

Wish us luck!

shamer
Old Jan 28th 2003, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Good luck Shamer!

We're in a similar position but have until May to validate, no flights booked yet as house sale hasn't gone through yet - getting a bit worried!]

Hope all goes well whichever route they decide to take you by! One thing people haven't mentioned is that if flights have to be rerouted their cost is likely to increase due to extra fuel, also if there's a war fuel is likely to increase in price in any case! Just one more thing to worry about! It's beyond our control though, so we'll just have to wait and see!
Old Jan 28th 2003, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Loopy
Good luck Shamer!

We're in a similar position but have until May to validate, no flights booked yet as house sale hasn't gone through yet - getting a bit worried!]

Hope all goes well whichever route they decide to take you by! One thing people haven't mentioned is that if flights have to be rerouted their cost is likely to increase due to extra fuel, also if there's a war fuel is likely to increase in price in any case! Just one more thing to worry about! It's beyond our control though, so we'll just have to wait and see!

Nice one, good luck wi the Hoose

shamer
Old Jan 28th 2003, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road
Cool

Originally posted by Loopy
Good luck Shamer!

Just the opposite is more likely. Less people willing to fly, so airlines desperate to fill 'war tour' flights (remember Sept 11).

Good luck with the house sale and move. We'll be following a few months behind (hopefully!!)
Old Jan 28th 2003, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Kendoddsdadsdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No Fly Zone

Who needs a plane.

Take the Trans-siberian railway from Budapest/Warsaw to Moscow then Beijing. Very cheap. Then 2 day journey to Hong Kong by train. Short flight to Bangkok with Gulf Air then overland via Thailand/Malaysia/Singapaore. Then via ship to Aus or overland Indonesia to Kupang in West Timor and a short hop to Darwin on the jallopy. Don't make a wrong connection at Harbin in Northern China or you might end up in Pyongyang, North Korea - not the safest place at the moment.
Old Jan 29th 2003, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

Sod the flights- I just wanna be out of here before we get bombed with nasty chemicals. A subject I have given much thought to. I am tempted to book to go in the next few weeks just to make sure I am outta here (yes- I am a wooss- the thought of war scares the shite out of me!). I figure if they try and do Perth I can always get a winnebago in Perth and 'go bush' for a few years til the fall out's dropped off.

Anyone wanna share a van? I do a mean pasta!

The ever hopeful..

Grub
Old Jan 29th 2003, 11:28 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Grub
Sod the flights- I just wanna be out of here before we get bombed with nasty chemicals. A subject I have given much thought to. I am tempted to book to go in the next few weeks just to make sure I am outta here (yes- I am a wooss- the thought of war scares the shite out of me!). I figure if they try and do Perth I can always get a winnebago in Perth and 'go bush' for a few years til the fall out's dropped off.

Anyone wanna share a van? I do a mean pasta!

The ever hopeful..

Grub
Little Johnnys draging Australia into this there are no safe places anymore , remember Bali? its was only a short plane ride away , Australia and Australians are a target.