Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanting to ship a few crates - advice required please

Wanting to ship a few crates - advice required please

Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:57 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wanting to ship a few crates - advice required please

My husband is currently back in England sorting out some family stuff, we are thinking about shipping back a few items, UK to Aus including Golf Clubs, a clock some documents and other personal possible breakable items such as crystal glasses.

I have looked on the net and checked out some prices but not happy that I am finding the best – does anyone have any recommendations.

So far I have tea chest size carton , 61x51x41 cm 89 pounds for first and 45 pounds after that – my worry is that it recommends light but bulky eg clothes as you have a max weight of 40KG – can’t see the glof clubs in that size packing case or getting under the weight.

Also that price is for nine weeks at sea, it is over 275 per case for 14 days shipping.

Any advice really gratefully received.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:48 am
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to ship a few crates - advice required please

Is the price you are quoting from Sevenseas? I sent 16 boxes with them (10 book boxes and 6 tea chests).

They do quote for other items too - so you could enquire about golf clubs!

I had various quotes but found them to be the most informative and friendly. Just got good vibes off them. Of course, our stuff isn't due to arrive in Perth until Mid January....so can't comment on recieving the boxes, but all who we dealt with in the UK were really friendly & patient!

Good Luck
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

noonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to allnoonard is a name known to all

I went with PODS Cargo, it was between them and Seven Seas in the end. I don't remember the cost exactly but it was minimal - about £120 for 8/9 boxes I think. The real cost (the one they don't tell you about!) is the dock fees and customs/quarantine etc at this end, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

A word of warning though - especially if you're shipping breakables - these "specially hardened double-walled cardboard shipping boxes" are nowhere near up to the job. Ours arrived completely battered, and as nobody would offer insurance other than for total loss we didn't have cover. Amazingly most of the contents were OK, but if I do it again it will be using wooden crates. Or steel and kevlar flight cases
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:34 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
My husband is currently back in England sorting out some family stuff, we are thinking about shipping back a few items, UK to Aus including Golf Clubs, a clock some documents and other personal possible breakable items such as crystal glasses.

I have looked on the net and checked out some prices but not happy that I am finding the best – does anyone have any recommendations.

So far I have tea chest size carton , 61x51x41 cm 89 pounds for first and 45 pounds after that – my worry is that it recommends light but bulky eg clothes as you have a max weight of 40KG – can’t see the glof clubs in that size packing case or getting under the weight.

Also that price is for nine weeks at sea, it is over 275 per case for 14 days shipping.

I sent my golf clubs out from the UK with ParcelForce... I had one of those hard cases that they fit into, loaded an umbrella and golf shoes in there as well... Cost about £120 and was shipped by air, arrived in less than 2 weeks...
We also shipped a box of stuff out at the same time; it's best not to go over 20kgs with them or the rate gets silly...

Hope it helps...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:14 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElshaUK
Is the price you are quoting from Sevenseas? I sent 16 boxes with them (10 book boxes and 6 tea chests).

They do quote for other items too - so you could enquire about golf clubs!

I had various quotes but found them to be the most informative and friendly. Just got good vibes off them. Of course, our stuff isn't due to arrive in Perth until Mid January....so can't comment on recieving the boxes, but all who we dealt with in the UK were really friendly & patient!

Good Luck
Thanks ElshaUK

Yes I was looking at sevenseas 16 boxes @45 pounds - did you get a lot in the 16 boxes - I will ask about the golfclubs

Cheers
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:20 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by noonard
I went with PODS Cargo, it was between them and Seven Seas in the end. I don't remember the cost exactly but it was minimal - about £120 for 8/9 boxes I think. The real cost (the one they don't tell you about!) is the dock fees and customs/quarantine etc at this end, but it wasn't a deal-breaker.

A word of warning though - especially if you're shipping breakables - these "specially hardened double-walled cardboard shipping boxes" are nowhere near up to the job. Ours arrived completely battered, and as nobody would offer insurance other than for total loss we didn't have cover. Amazingly most of the contents were OK, but if I do it again it will be using wooden crates. Or steel and kevlar flight cases

£120 for 8/9 boxes !! that sounds a very good price.

Not sure about send the crystal though - will ask about a wooden box.

I know about the AQIS create money schemes - I got my house contents shipped nearly five years ago, this time my FIL has died and I am not sure what my husband wants to do. I know he will want the golf clubs for sentimental value as they play together but I am not sure if there is anything else and I was trying to find out various options for him. I will have a think about insurance - it is the sentimental value that we need to think about.

Cheers and thanks for help
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:21 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by rodders39
I sent my golf clubs out from the UK with ParcelForce... I had one of those hard cases that they fit into, loaded an umbrella and golf shoes in there as well... Cost about £120 and was shipped by air, arrived in less than 2 weeks...
We also shipped a box of stuff out at the same time; it's best not to go over 20kgs with them or the rate gets silly...

Hope it helps...
Perfect 120 pounds for the golf clubs he can get that part sorted at least. I will get my sister onto parcel force for him.

Grateful for advice

Cheers Sandra
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

£120 for 8/9 boxes !! that sounds a very good price.

Not sure about send the crystal though - will ask about a wooden box.

I know about the AQIS create money schemes - I got my house contents shipped nearly five years ago, this time my FIL has died and I am not sure what my husband wants to do. I know he will want the golf clubs for sentimental value as they play together but I am not sure if there is anything else and I was trying to find out various options for him. I will have a think about insurance - it is the sentimental value that we need to think about.

Cheers and thanks for help
As far as the golf clubs go, couldn't your husband bring them back with him? I'm not a golfer but my brother came over here to visit complete with golf clubs and although they had to be checked in on the plane, there was no extra cost for this. Just a thought!
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:33 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect 120 pounds for the golf clubs he can get that part sorted at least. I will get my sister onto parcel force for him.

Grateful for advice

Cheers Sandra
While I remember... Don't lock the case because Customs will break the locks to look inside and ruin the case forever... Just put some adhesive tape over the catches - it'll hold it together fine...
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:34 am
Gone Senile Member

Originally Posted by Teliko21
As far as the golf clubs go, couldn't your husband bring them back with him? I'm not a golfer but my brother came over here to visit complete with golf clubs and although they had to be checked in on the plane, there was no extra cost for this. Just a thought!
Yes good point - He is on Thai airlines hopefully in a couple of weeks - I will be phoning them to check allowances on the clubs, he only has 30 Kg on luggage. I was also looking for other shipping options in case he decides there are other things he wants. It is all fairly confused at the moment and I am grateful for all the advice as people are coming up with things I haven't thought about.

Cheers
Old Dec 5th 2006, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been to www.voovit.com?

Mark
Old Dec 5th 2006, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Wilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really niceWilso16 is just really nice

Originally Posted by noonard

Hi,

Can you send me the website address for PODS Cargo. Thanks
Old Dec 5th 2006, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure, with golf clubs, you jet wash them prior to departure. They will be ripe for being checked by customs when they see them, and any sort of mud, dirt etc will be seen as requiring the entire set to be jet washed at their expense. Always better safe than sorry...