Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move away from FIFO

Wanting to move away from FIFO

Old Jan 13th 2013, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wanting to move away from FIFO

Hi all, I've been in Australia since March 2012 working FIFO, it's been good experience but I can't do it for much longer, I would ideally like to stay in Australia but move to a City based job. I am on a 457 visa thought so I am guessing this complicates things for employers? I work as a Quantity Surveyor and am willing to move to any City in Aus. I keep my eye on Seek and also direct websites. Has anyone got any similar experience of moving away from FIFO or of transferring a 457?
Old Jan 13th 2013, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move away from FIFO

Perhaps your sponsoring company will transfer you to one of their other sites. Have a chat with the HR Officer and see what options might be available to you. If you are wanting to stay in Australia beyond the term of your 457 though, why not apply for a permanent visa? That way you will be independent and can work wherever you want.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

In theory transfering a 457 is simple and easy. However, your issue will come in finding another job. Not so easy in the current climate and a lot of companies that were offering 457 sponsorship now wont look at candidates that require it. Good luck
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tuxtrip
Perhaps your sponsoring company will transfer you to one of their other sites. Have a chat with the HR Officer and see what options might be available to you. If you are wanting to stay in Australia beyond the term of your 457 though, why not apply for a permanent visa? That way you will be independent and can work wherever you want.
I previously declared interest in a City based role to transfer to but that was knocked back, however I am getting close to having done 12 months (if I leave before 12 months I have to pay some $ back) so maybe this would be to my favour. I might speak with HR though as it may be worth a shout. Ideally I want a City based role and then if that works out apply for PR, but it may be in my favour to be a PR in order to get a City based role, bit of a catch 22 really.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
I previously declared interest in a City based role to transfer to but that was knocked back, however I am getting close to having done 12 months (if I leave before 12 months I have to pay some $ back) so maybe this would be to my favour. I might speak with HR though as it may be worth a shout. Ideally I want a City based role and then if that works out apply for PR, but it may be in my favour to be a PR in order to get a City based role, bit of a catch 22 really.
It appears that many people currently on 457's are experiencing difficulty with ongoing employment, so if you are eligible for PR then it would be worth getting an application in sooner rather than later. With State Sponsorship you could probably expect to have it approved within 6 months of lodgement. Eligibility and opportunity are very fickle when it comes to migration - go for it while you still can.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Important thing to remember - if you wish to "transfer" your existing 457 --- it needs to be in exactly the same role, which is often forgotten.

Good luck, as others have stated, it's not the strongest market.