Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WANTED - a worthwhile wanted down under prog to watch

WANTED - a worthwhile wanted down under prog to watch

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Default Re: WANTED - a worthwhile wanted down under prog to watch

There's something i can't get my head around, about the prices of properties. The budget the family gives is always topped by dearer houses shown. There was one woman saying about how much research she'd done on the computer for prices of houses and they still show them homes that's out of their budget.
Does this mean that whatever houses you're looking at on realestate.au, are a load of rubbish.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

perhaps its all some farce arranged by the uk government to put ppl off emigrating to Oz !!!!

I mean hell it has to be dramatic to make living in the UK with the current recession looming over everyones heads look appealing lol

BBC are prob doing the its not all sun sand and surf - which it isn't admittedly but like someone else said what the hell is the point in ppl giving them a budget to then show them a dream home in oz which they can't afford.
An the presenter is sooo much more annoying than the previous one with the unusual name lol
Old Jan 24th 2009, 8:29 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenJen
perhaps its all some farce arranged by the uk government to put ppl off emigrating to Oz !!!!

I mean hell it has to be dramatic to make living in the UK with the current recession looming over everyones heads look appealing lol

BBC are prob doing the its not all sun sand and surf - which it isn't admittedly but like someone else said what the hell is the point in ppl giving them a budget to then show them a dream home in oz which they can't afford.
An the presenter is sooo much more annoying than the previous one with the unusual name lol
That same recession is here you know?

I have noticed an increase in threads in the last few weeks alone of people arriving and being unable to find work.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

debt-w is an unknown quantity at this point

We too have been disappointed in this series as we have gleaned a lot of really useful info from the previous series. I can't help agreeing with you, JenJen, that it's either the UK government trying to deter us from leaving the sinking ship that is the UK today or the that the Aussies have enough of us Poms now and don't want to encourage anymore. All in all this series has been a bit of a waste of time for us.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 12:28 am
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazza
There's something i can't get my head around, about the prices of properties. The budget the family gives is always topped by dearer houses shown. There was one woman saying about how much research she'd done on the computer for prices of houses and they still show them homes that's out of their budget.
Does this mean that whatever houses you're looking at on realestate.au, are a load of rubbish.
realestate online can be so deceiving, unfortunately there are no pictures of what is around the house for sale ie we saw a beaut house but got there to find a service station/truck stop next door!

also guess the tv show wants to show decent areas? a lot of houses in budget may be in bogansville
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:39 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That same recession is here you know?

I have noticed an increase in threads in the last few weeks alone of people arriving and being unable to find work.
Your not lying, Work is not plentifull here , personnally I think the show is about escapism just like travel shows. A little light entertainment over morning coffee for the unemployed (Used to be shown at 9.00)

You would find more usefull info in any thread on this site than every series strung together.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 2:22 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

yep well aware of that but here you can't cheer yourself up by going to the beach or some gardens unless your mad an enjoy the shocking wet cr***y weather lol.

We just sit an place bets on what business will go into administration next while looking out the window an hoping when the weather is really miserable we don't have to go out anywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 25th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I seem to have to post this on every thread on this subject. The people that take part in these programmes are just like you and I - people wanting to move to Australia, and in many cases they are people who are posting on this website. Please remember that before making personal remarks.

Is this not a forum for peoples opinions without being censored?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wildmark
Is this not a forum for peoples opinions without being censored?
Its not censorship, its just that we ask in the rules that people should treat other site members with respect. There are lots of threads running every time these programmes are shown, and we know that both present and past show participants are BE members. If you are interested enough to read some of the previous threads about these programmes you will see some responses from very distressed posters oth in Aus and in NZ, as there have been some very hurtful comments made in the past on threads like this, which have seriously upset both members and their children.

Discussion is fine, all we ask is that people show respect for their fellow posters By all means dicuss their decisions, but try and do it without some of the hurtful personal remarks we have seen in the past. After all, how would you fell if you had appeared on a programme like this and the next day an internet forum you were using was full of nasty remarks about your hairstyle/weight/clothes/attractiveness of their children etc.

The other thread running at present has one of the current participants posting in it, lady posting as Jenny, I believe.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the roughAussie4me is a jewel in the rough

The trouble is I think more families wouldn't come across so negative about their Australia experience if they were actually given a proper experience, how the BBC expect anyone to make a decision based on such limited options is beyond me.

Make a decent emigration program or don't bl**dy bother.

I would rather see things like a family who is interested in say Perth or Brisbane getting to spend at least a week in both and excploring the three different areas.

Perhaps I have been a little harsh, I remember having a chat with someone from the last series who said the editing of their trip made them looking like they moaned all the time when that wasn't the case.

But the way the programs been done in my mind doesn't make many of the families look very positive and it makes the program look a bit pointless to be honest.

My hubby gets such a bee in his bonnet about it though I don't know whats more comical to watch him or the program.

I know just what you mean! OH sits there getting really agitated - can't make him realise it is a TV programme and done to provide entertainment!!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:46 am
Just Joined

vickersc is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anybody considered that what we are getting now is balanced view rather than the 'isn't Australia great' bias of previous series?
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vickersc
Has anybody considered that what we are getting now is balanced view rather than the 'isn't Australia great' bias of previous series?

Not really. Personally, in my opinion the families in previous series have actually had an interest in moving and have researched it. This series they do not appear to have done that and seem to moan the entire way through it from landing - oooh, it is such a long way! To the fact that food prices are not cheap, house prices are expensive, the salary on offer is not what they got in the UK.

The family on it last week (they were Scottish I think) and she was working in Engineering only realised when she got to Oz that her salary would drop from £40K to £24K - yeah right.

Why the hell has this not all been researched beforehand. Some of the current series families are coming across as if they just wanted a freebie holiday.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

Not really (my opinion that is all – I am not having ago)

Logic minded people would know that Australia is not “perfect”. I don’t feel you can hive a balanced view on this type of show as every family’s circumstances is different so the show should be tailored to meet the particular families view/expectations.

The way I look at it is the only way the show would “help” people is to give a fact base view. If you live in a 4 bed detached house here in the Northumbria valued at £250 000 then it would be very surprising if the participants of the show would be happy to be shown $1 000 000 houses in Sydney. Especially when we are told their budget is £300 000. This is just an example. This show is not designed to help people it is just entertainment. Apologies if I have offended any participants.

Originally Posted by vickersc
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

My gripe with the programme (NOT the families! I just need to say that because some of the families do have very sad personal circumstances that I wouldn't wish on anybody)...is that almost EVERY programme this series has a 'sob-story' (like I said...not to upset anybody...these are people's real lives that are being exploited for sensational t.v. reasons)
Nothing seems to be said about medicals for children left behind or even for the applicants who have disabilities. I have noticed that some of the families could potentially struggle to make the visa requirements (maybe the show has clarified that the families would qualify, but in my limited knowledge of how the system works I would foresee problems in actually getting the visa to emigrate and I do think that the show should mention this as not to give other people false hope!)
I do applaud the new 'grass is not greener' philosophy but to be honest...the very negative programmes this series has left me not as eager to watch.
Lisa,x
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:10 pm
DCS
Forum Regular

DCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really niceDCS is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Always watch them but they are just typical daytime drivel really. The exchange rates vary during the programme and is it just me or does the presenter put a downer on the ones emigrating to Oz with everything negative and the couple of NZ ones they have been positive comments from Nikki doing the voiceovers.

Just to add sooooo glad we don't have kids, it may well be how the programme is edited but could happily leave many of them at home or worse! although yesterdays one where the chap worked/ran a garden centre the younger girl 11 years old I think was a sweetie such a sensible head on her shoulders.
i said the same what a darling she was, her mum and dad must be so proud of her.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.