Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wanted down under your thoughts on the perth show etc

wanted down under your thoughts on the perth show etc

Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wanted down under your thoughts on the perth show etc

Originally Posted by brian.w
I know i would not find it a problem getting work in perth with my skills,its just if its a place i would like to live,yes work is important and plenty of work,but so is being in a place i will like and enjoy and not get bored off say a few years down the line.
When i was traveling in 2004 i kept away from work as long as i could as wanted to see as much as oz as possible and do as much and i did,but it came a time when my funds where starting to run out,yes i was also paying for my home while i was over there and i did not let it out,so probably a little harder for me.
But when i seen this job advertised in perth i thought i apply online and i was in qld,i think cairns at the time far from perth and far from ready to go to perth,i asked employer about the job and other stuff i needed to know,explained my situation and he said no worries.
Three and a half months later,i was heading to w.a. by car from now melbourne,called the guy and asked if still interested i still got the same job,try doing that in the uk,job would probably be completed by then.

I dont have any worries about work in perth or in w.a. its just if the place i want to live,i did like it and enjoy it the 3+ months i was there,but its also so isolated from the rest of oz,i just wish i knew where to head.

I suppose i will need to do my work for a while in oz to make some good money and get on my feet,but to be honest would be great to give it all up one day and do something different,more laid back or maybe work for myself,but i suppose i will do what i do for years to come.
My OH is a welder and got job(s) without a problem. The certification wasn't a problem either. Basically he went in done a weld test and offered the job!!! We were living in Secret Harbour (a family area in my opinion) lovely but not to far from City etc. Plenty of things to do and see so long as you are willing to travel. Unfortunately we are now back in the UK but just thought I would let you know my thoughts.
Lynne
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by gazclaire
Cant you start there as you know work is good, make a good name for yourself, add a oz company to your c.v and get experience of the way they do things, then move on or even get a transfer to another location with some cash in the bank!
Yes suppose you got a good point there,kind of daft to maybe head somewhere where less work is,but then saying that i talked with someone on another forum before and he said,if i am good at what i do,then employers will employ me from anywhere around oz and pay the expenses,which sounds good.As if they cant get the men they will do just that.

I know if i did end in perth i have an aunt and cousin there,so some kind of family,but heading to qld i would have nobody,as i am going this alone.
I just love qld and the sunshine coast and the gold coast that qld offers and the many places up and down the qld cost i seen before.
Then having sydney just down the coast and melbourne and then having fiji 4 hours away and i think new zealand being closer to east coast.

As you say could head w.a. first and make a name for myself,money etc and then head somewhere else if required but that would be a costly move,i think better moving to somewhere once and stick to it,brisbane is a bit away from w.a. when moving away.

But that few words you said does have a good point though.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by lastone
Could you provide a link please? I can't find it on the BBC site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by ianhutch1
Watched half of it at lunchtime and it just reiterated why we want to go, the only thing that worries me about the move is jumping from a £72k mortgage to £200k+ but we love the houses out there so thats a sacrifice we will have to make to get our dream.

Just need the blinkin' visa now!!!
what chance does a single guy have owning one of these houses in perth?as on the show it said they would need the two of them to be working to afford it,i have owned my place i have now since i was 21yrs old, 35yrs old now and never been a problem here for me in my line of work,i suppose that would depend on how well they pay me there or the sort of job i can find there etc.
Does worry me also things are not as cheap as they was 14yrs ago like i did here in the uk,but i suppose having this behind me helps towards it.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mick69
My OH is a welder and got job(s) without a problem. The certification wasn't a problem either. Basically he went in done a weld test and offered the job!!! We were living in Secret Harbour (a family area in my opinion) lovely but not to far from City etc. Plenty of things to do and see so long as you are willing to travel. Unfortunately we are now back in the UK but just thought I would let you know my thoughts.
Lynne
why did you end back in the uk,was oz not for you,i dont want to be cheeky but are you young or old and close to family as i think that what does it for most people,missing family and just left it too late in life.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Yes suppose you got a good point there,kind of daft to maybe head somewhere where less work is,but then saying that i talked with someone on another forum before and he said,if i am good at what i do,then employers will employ me from anywhere around oz and pay the expenses,which sounds good.As if they cant get the men they will do just that.

I know if i did end in perth i have an aunt and cousin there,so some kind of family,but heading to qld i would have nobody,as i am going this alone.
I just love qld and the sunshine coast and the gold coast that qld offers and the many places up and down the qld cost i seen before.
Then having sydney just down the coast and melbourne and then having fiji 4 hours away and i think new zealand being closer to east coast.

As you say could head w.a. first and make a name for myself,money etc and then head somewhere else if required but that would be a costly move,i think better moving to somewhere once and stick to it,brisbane is a bit away from w.a. when moving away.

But that few words you said does have a good point though.
i suppose if you did go to qld you are more central to more areas of potential work so could have an option of working were the big bucks are and as you dont have a family to support you could take the risk, and if all else fails go to Perth. As you know Perth is 4 hours flight to the gold coast, at least brissie, sydney, cains and melbourne are more local in comparison!

Last edited by gazclaire; Jan 3rd 2008 at 1:41 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:42 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

can you still buy a house,two cars ,a boat,jet ski,boob enlargment for the wife and still have change from a two bedroom terraced house in aston..

you could this time last year?

oh i forgot ,theres a bloke up yanchep that will give you 500 bucks a day for sitting on your ar5e until twelve ,then hell drop you home in his airconditioned luxury ute...
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

gazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nicegazclaire is just really nice

Originally Posted by hunt66
Cant find the show on this link am i missing something?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

mick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond reputemick69 has a reputation beyond repute

why did you end back in the uk,was oz not for you,i dont want to be cheeky but are you young or old and close to family as i think that what does it for most people,missing family and just left it too late in life.
Slightly older than yourself with a young family. OH found he was homesick and just didn't want to be there so I sacrificed a lot (which I hope he realises now) and came back to the UK. Not a close family but homesickness is a strange thing which I don't really understand

Lynne
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 1:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

a crock of crap, yet again!

Good on them for voting for OZ at the end but dear god, they are away a week! A week!

If you see some of the film snips of their family you would think they had all been deported already!!

Holy crap! I have spent longer than a week working from home, hell, I haven't seen one of my sisters in nearly 4 years and she only lives in Norwich!

OK, rant over.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:01 pm
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
a crock of crap, yet again!

Good on them for voting for OZ at the end but dear god, they are away a week! A week!

If you see some of the film snips of their family you would think they had all been deported already!!

Holy crap! I have spent longer than a week working from home, hell, I haven't seen one of my sisters in nearly 4 years and she only lives in Norwich!

OK, rant over.
would you mind if i tried to sum that program up in two words...

plucking kite..
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:04 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
would you mind if i tried to sum that program up in two words...

plucking kite..
Too right, its unbelievable that they get away with the crap they do.

I know I can always not watch them, and believe me, when the DVD from home comes out the TV gets turned off, but some of the information is handy, but its just pandering to the lowest common denominator again!

anywho..............hows you Marcus?
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:07 pm
Banned

Too right, its unbelievable that they get away with the crap they do.

I know I can always not watch them, and believe me, when the DVD from home comes out the TV gets turned off, but some of the information is handy, but its just pandering to the lowest common denominator again!

anywho..............hows you Marcus?
mate im great,settled now...feel like iv won the pools mate..

are you in spain?

happy new year mate...this bleedin beer ive got on the bar for you is getting hot,,
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:10 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by aston man
mate im great,settled now...feel like iv won the pools mate..

are you in spain?

happy new year mate...this bleedin beer ive got on the bar for you is getting hot,,
Life is all over the place at the moment, I'm single now, bit scary, and have been for a couple of months so not sure what I am up to or what's going on to be honest.

I'm doing my best to get there mate, but what with everything else going on I fell behind with the course so got to get that back on track.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 2:14 pm
Banned

Life is all over the place at the moment, I'm single now, bit scary, and have been for a couple of months so not sure what I am up to or what's going on to be honest.

I'm doing my best to get there mate, but what with everything else going on I fell behind with the course so got to get that back on track.
mate,you get yourself together,i hope everything turns out for you..

your a top bloke mate,im sure life will look after ya...

marcus

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.