Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Old Jan 8th 2012, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Sorry if this has been said already. What always annoyed me about the programme and similar was after looking at all the angles, The family would state they could not live that far away from relatives,take the grandchildren away etc. But to me that is probably the one and only thing that you can come to terms with from the very start, The only thing you can decide for yourself without books,internet or experts laying it out in front of you.
And I used to laugh at the criticism of the houses, Oh the kitchen, Dining and lounge are all open. Well thats how many do it here,$1000 stick up a wall. Our mid terrace house in the UK, Valued once(not when we sold it) at 140K was on a plot 25ft by 70ft.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:49 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I clicked on the link and it wouldn't play. I can't seem to download i-player because I live overseas. I can't seem to make expatshield work either
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Another family with no idea of prices..

Last edited by Tramps_mate; Jan 9th 2012 at 8:34 am.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:14 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I had to turn it off today, the wife on todays Perth program were driving me crackers. I will not watch another one!!!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
I had to turn it off today, the wife on todays Perth program were driving me crackers. I will not watch another one!!!
The dream of the huge open plan house etc etc, pool and garden. For cheap was obviously wide of the mark. They probably saw old wanted down under episodes from early noughties when it was cheap(er)...
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

nurseinmansfield is an unknown quantity at this point

How can the woman today say house prices are overvalued in WA???

You're in AUSTRALIA luv; that's what houses cost!!! GGGrrrr!!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skinnygeorge
What always annoyed me about the programme and similar was after looking at all the angles, The family would state they could not live that far away from relatives,take the grandchildren away etc. But to me that is probably the one and only thing that you can come to terms with from the very start,
I definetly agree with you on this and its something they should all give more thought to but once you do the move it really hits you when you have to say goodbye to family and think, wow I might never see them again.
It is the hardest thing you will ever do
Old Jan 9th 2012, 7:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nurseinmansfield
How can the woman today say house prices are overvalued in WA???
They are....grossly
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Dingle76 is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought the couple today were completely mad. From memory I think she said she wanted a 5 bed, with pool and room for stables near Perth, budget £300,000. Deluded was my first thought!
Old Jan 9th 2012, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

This was with the husband earning £75k, that turned into £80k on the affordability sheet. Who lived in a £ 160k house they couldn't sell.

Then he was told by a Perth agency he could possibly start @ $180K getting into $300k when reaching management. 5 minuted later he tells the wife the starting salary if $250k-300k.

Reality pill please.......
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
This was with the husband earning £75k, that turned into £80k on the affordability sheet. Who lived in a £ 160k house they couldn't sell.

Then he was told by a Perth agency he could possibly start @ $180K getting into $300k when reaching management. 5 minuted later he tells the wife the starting salary if $250k-300k.

Reality pill please.......
My wife phoned me yesterday morning to make the same point. The responses from the person I had my job session with (plus the recruitment people I managed to get to see while having a break from filming) was a pleasant surprise as I had planned to be earning a bit less and set my goals accordingly. Even though they have put me at the $120-$130k mark when I get there in the show I have still planned everything around the $100k mark for the move. If we can manage at that level then anything else is a bonus but also, if it doesn't happen at that level then I can take a lesser paid position while getting established.

Must admit that I haven't seen any of the episodes and don't really know whether I will bother with ours. I got what I wanted from it back in August so don't see the point. In addition, the thought of my Swansea accent on voicemail is enough to make me cringe never mind seeing myself on tv as well.

Si

Last edited by Si T; Jan 10th 2012 at 7:05 am.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 7:04 am
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

Sorry if this has been said already. What always annoyed me about the programme and similar was after looking at all the angles, The family would state they could not live that far away from relatives,take the grandchildren away etc. But to me that is probably the one and only thing that you can come to terms with from the very start, The only thing you can decide for yourself without books,internet or experts laying it out in front of you.
And I used to laugh at the criticism of the houses, Oh the kitchen, Dining and lounge are all open. Well thats how many do it here,$1000 stick up a wall. Our mid terrace house in the UK, Valued once(not when we sold it) at 140K was on a plot 25ft by 70ft.

I probably come across as a bit cold in this bit of our one. Although I did fill up a little because my mother was upset, when they asked if it would change the decision to go it took about two seconds to set the emotion aside and respond in the negative. My logic being that I have spent a long time thinking about that aspect and have got to a point where I know it's going to be tough but that I ready to deal with it. I think they film that bit a couple of hours before the final vote intentionally to get the emotional impact into the final vote.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Not presuming much, but today's lot aren't going to be happy. Can't make ends meet in Liverpool they are gonna have no chance moving.

*edit*

That showed me. They'd probably be ok! Can they get a visa though??

Last edited by Tramps_mate; Jan 10th 2012 at 8:59 am.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

Originally Posted by Si T
I probably come across as a bit cold in this bit of our one. Although I did fill up a little because my mother was upset, when they asked if it would change the decision to go it took about two seconds to set the emotion aside and respond in the negative. My logic being that I have spent a long time thinking about that aspect and have got to a point where I know it's going to be tough but that I ready to deal with it. I think they film that bit a couple of hours before the final vote intentionally to get the emotional impact into the final vote.
Yes I have nothing against the peoples feelings, that would be strange. It is afterall probably the biggest issue for anyone myself included. Its that engineered factor of the show which has turned me off it. I actually applied to go on the show before we came. I wanted the chance to give the wife and kids an insight before we came. I had been over in`89 for 5 weeks. Like an idiot I asked if we could stay with friends and told them how far the application had got. So I think we looked like a done deal and therefore probably not good TV. Interesting to hear from someone who has appeared though. As with many documentary programmes these days, The facts become insigificant and they want to focus on the `human`aspect, the Mum and Dad argueing, the child throwing a tantrum, the tears on skype just to make good? TV.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Yes I have nothing against the peoples feelings, that would be strange. It is afterall probably the biggest issue for anyone myself included. Its that engineered factor of the show which has turned me off it. I actually applied to go on the show before we came. I wanted the chance to give the wife and kids an insight before we came. I had been over in`89 for 5 weeks. Like an idiot I asked if we could stay with friends and told them how far the application had got. So I think we looked like a done deal and therefore probably not good TV. Interesting to hear from someone who has appeared though. As with many documentary programmes these days, The facts become insigificant and they want to focus on the `human`aspect, the Mum and Dad argueing, the child throwing a tantrum, the tears on skype just to make good? TV.
The problem is that "the facts" can vary from person to person and region to region. The facts of jobs may be different between The Sunshine Coast and The Gold Coast depending upon the type of job for example. The human aspect seems to be more of a pull for daytime tv. Jeremy Kyle anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.