Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Wanted Down Under - Series 6

Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:32 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanted Down Under - Series 6

One bad burn is certainly enough to start a melanoma.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
From what you've said twice now it reads that you got melanomas from missing the factor 30 once?
The adverts on the T.V here point to research that can substantiate claims that getting sunburned just once can lead to melanomas. I can only remember being badly sunburned the once, right where one of the melanomas was cut out.
Scoff all you, like the clinics are full of cancer patients with really healthy suntans.
Scaremongering?
We'll see in a few years when the next generation of sun worshipers start ageing, the slip slop slap campaign has been running long enough to find out, of course it will be to late by then.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 8:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Saying just once is bad enough.. Is it that bad?

Never had these sun issues in sunny Liverpool!!
I think the max UV index possible in Liverpool is probably about 6 based on what I remember from UK weather forecasts.

Forecast max for Aus today...and note the temp doesn't make a blind bit of difference which a lot of people seem confused by...plenty of 20C / UV12 days in Melbourne this week:

Old Jan 7th 2012, 7:44 pm

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of

Loved the Gill family episode 3.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Vernsdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

I must admit this gives some very interesting read. I have 2 years left on my visa and either move or loose the chance forever. I have been watching these programs and looking for inspiration to make the decision. Probably wrong thing to do then!! For all you knowledgable local australians citizens, Me and my family are likely to have to start from scratch, my property will likely to have to be rented out and the rent will cover the mortgage - end off. Nothing else. My husband a psychiatric nurse, me a newly qualified general nurse. I really want to go, I think I will have better opportunities and our three children must certainly have a better lifestyle than UK (NW). However my husband may be able to retire at 55 (12 years off) on current pention (or may not)??? NHS. Whats your insite on Western Australia. I am intrigued.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernsdownunder
I must admit this gives some very interesting read. I have 2 years left on my visa and either move or loose the chance forever. I have been watching these programs and looking for inspiration to make the decision. Probably wrong thing to do then!! For all you knowledgable local australians citizens, Me and my family are likely to have to start from scratch, my property will likely to have to be rented out and the rent will cover the mortgage - end off. Nothing else. My husband a psychiatric nurse, me a newly qualified general nurse. I really want to go, I think I will have better opportunities and our three children must certainly have a better lifestyle than UK (NW). However my husband may be able to retire at 55 (12 years off) on current pention (or may not)??? NHS. Whats your insite on Western Australia. I am intrigued.
We are renting out our UK house and rent covers mortgage so for us it is like starting from scratch too. We rent here and are very happy to do that for a few more years at least.

I am not somebody that strongly buys into the better opportunities and better lifestyle. I find my lifestyle quite similar and I think opportunities depend upon the person and good luck, but not the country. I do think it is a great life experience though, to live and experience another country and another part of the world becomes so much more accessible.

So if you want to do it, why not. You would find it more easy to find work than a lot of people and two nurses incomes should provide a decent standard of living. I don't live in WA so no insights there.
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

hmunker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld
I think the max UV index possible in Liverpool is probably about 6 based on what I remember from UK weather forecasts.

Forecast max for Aus today...and note the temp doesn't make a blind bit of difference which a lot of people seem confused by...plenty of 20C / UV12 days in Melbourne this week:

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDY00508.gif
Hi bcworld could you post what website you got that UV index picture from please ..Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2012, 11:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmunker
Hi bcworld could you post what website you got that UV index picture from please ..Thanks
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/uv/index.shtml
Old Jan 8th 2012, 12:30 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hmunker
For localised weather reports, surf conditions, swell & U.V I use http://wind.willyweather.com.au/ or http://www.seabreeze.com.au
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I dislike is the repetition, again and again they repeat the same stuff. I know there are adverts (unless you watch on iplayer) but they assume you have forgotten everything over the adverts and repeat it all again

It drives me a bit potty, I feel like shouting I KNOW THAT YOU JUST TOLD ME 2 MINUTES AGO.

Other than that I think the shows should be taken as entertaining and used for general subjective feelings rather than factual.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

The job parts for they might ask a local tradie if theres any work, he says in his opinion theres hardly any work and they take it as a fact. When they might go one suburb away and ask another tradie who might say theres loads of work.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

OxOz will become famous soon enough

I hate the way they turn up their noses at some of the houses they visit - the woman and her daughters from Hull were so rude.

Also that they just expect to walk into a job with no effort on their part - the hairdresser who wasn't keen in getting her skills up to date.

But I do realise it is just reality TV !
Old Jan 8th 2012, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I think the most pragmatic and objective family so far were the ones heading to Auckland (from dudley I think). They seemed to work very well as a family unit, listening and evaluating what they had at home against what their opportunities for the future were. (their cycling skills need some work though).
Old Jan 8th 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Vernsdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
We are renting out our UK house and rent covers mortgage so for us it is like starting from scratch too. We rent here and are very happy to do that for a few more years at least.

I am not somebody that strongly buys into the better opportunities and better lifestyle. I find my lifestyle quite similar and I think opportunities depend upon the person and good luck, but not the country. I do think it is a great life experience though, to live and experience another country and another part of the world becomes so much more accessible.

So if you want to do it, why not. You would find it more easy to find work than a lot of people and two nurses incomes should provide a decent standard of living. I don't live in WA so no insights there.
Thank you for your message, I think your right in what you say. As for starting from scratch and renting, as long as we walk right in to jobs I am sure it can be achievable. Thank you.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 8:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernsdownunder

as long as we walk right in to jobs I am sure it can be achievable.
How likely is that

Seriously Australia has hundreds of skilled experienced applicants for most jobs already.

The official unemployment rate is BS, because anyone working 2 hours a week or more is employed.

Oranges and sunshine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.