British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Wanted Down under (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/wanted-down-under-592977/)

shirlw Feb 25th 2009 3:07 pm

Re: Wanted Down under

Originally Posted by DONOVAN (Post 7319082)
Hiya Shirlw have sent you a pm

Sarah x

Thanks Sarah....got it and replied !

australianinleicester Feb 27th 2009 9:23 am

Has anyone seen todays WDU, (fri 27 feb) what a joke, the couple and the small child were as keen as mustard at the beginning and it seemed a challenge for the show to put them off, which of course ruined it from then on.

Between city, coast and country (and at least pronounce Terrigal correctly) they chose country, so then they start showing them houses on the coast an hour and a half drive from where they chose (the country) in this case Mittagong.

The houses, well what can you say, they showed an example during the Australia house presentation of some beautiful houses and showed them, quite frankly, some ugly ones, and one decent one, yes you got it, over their budget.

There are hundreds of thousands of very good houses in Sydney and all over NSW well within their budget, why don't they show some of them????
Many people on this site have complained about the build quality of housing in Australia, remember they are the other side of the world with a completely different climate and differing ideas, have you had a good look at what passes for housing in this sardine can infested country before you criticize.

The lifestyle bit was equally impressive, a flight over Sydney in a seaplane (a typical activity....not) and a visit to a coffee shop when they wanted a cup of tea, yes you can buy a cup of tea in Sydney but not in a COFFEE SHOP.

I lived in Sydney for 17 years and don't drink coffee and have never been on the Rose Bay seaplane and I thought what lifestyle was left over was fab.

They then thought that the wages were not enough, they focussed on the wife doing a hair cutting job, she said they could not afford the lifestyle or housing, no kidding, her husband who was in aviation, what exactly was he going to do, lounge around the house all day!

If I sound angry, I am, not for showing a programme which tries to hijack peoples dreams, but making Australia and its housing, costs and opportunities look bad, they aren't, it is great.

I live in England now for personal reasons that were out of my control, Australia is a wonderful place, but only for people who embrace it.

Bubsblooms Feb 27th 2009 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by australianinleicester (Post 7328512)
Has anyone seen todays WDU, (fri 27 feb) what a joke, the couple and the small child were as keen as mustard at the beginning and it seemed a challenge for the show to put them off, which of course ruined it from then on.

Between city, coast and country (and at least pronounce Terrigal correctly) they chose country, so then they start showing them houses on the coast an hour and a half drive from where they chose (the country) in this case Mittagong.

The houses, well what can you say, they showed an example during the Australia house presentation of some beautiful houses and showed them, quite frankly, some ugly ones, and one decent one, yes you got it, over their budget.

There are hundreds of thousands of very good houses in Sydney and all over NSW well within their budget, why don't they show some of them????
Many people on this site have complained about the build quality of housing in Australia, remember they are the other side of the world with a completely different climate and differing ideas, have you had a good look at what passes for housing in this sardine can infested country before you criticize.

The lifestyle bit was equally impressive, a flight over Sydney in a seaplane (a typical activity....not) and a visit to a coffee shop when they wanted a cup of tea, yes you can buy a cup of tea in Sydney but not in a COFFEE SHOP.

I lived in Sydney for 17 years and don't drink coffee and have never been on the Rose Bay seaplane and I thought what lifestyle was left over was fab.

They then thought that the wages were not enough, they focussed on the wife doing a hair cutting job, she said they could not afford the lifestyle or housing, no kidding, her husband who was in aviation, what exactly was he going to do, lounge around the house all day!

If I sound angry, I am, not for showing a programme which tries to hijack peoples dreams, but making Australia and its housing, costs and opportunities look bad, they aren't, it is great.

I live in England now for personal reasons that were out of my control, Australia is a wonderful place, but only for people who embrace it.

Good point well said!!! I saw that show, and I too was bloomin annoyed! I am hoping the family stayed on a while and saw what they wanted in an area they wanted to begin with.....
I am also in the UK for unavoidable reasons (temporarily) and cannot bare it when they are so biased......:thumbdown: