Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted Down Under 2010

Wanted Down Under 2010

Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wanted Down Under 2010

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
Just a few points to make if I may.
First of all don't take too much notice of how much someone has to buy a house especially when considering the earlier remark about the couple who bought a house in 2005 as we don't know what size of mortgage they had on that 200k or how much savings they now have or how much of a profit they could sell their business for - obviously a few factors to consider. Secondly, the BBC will ask them for rough estimations of the size of mortgage they would be looking for in Ozz and do not dig too much into their personal or actual finances. Remember one of the houses is what they would like to aspire too.

I do think though that looking at rented accommodation is a very good idea and perhaps should be suggested to the BBC as it would be more realistic.

Can I also add that when you are being filmed, you are not warned in advance of the question they are going to ask you, but perhaps asked to buy an ice cream and make some remark about it's taste or price or whatever. You have therefore only a second or so to make a response as the camera is filming you both. I think this is why some people come out with strange remarks and they too will probably be watching the programme and laughing at their responses. I found the house views some of the funniest and hardest to respond too. It's difficult to say this room is bloody awful when, after all this is someone’s home!

I would akso just like to add that the BBC staff filming are, in our experience, very nice and genuine people but they do need to make a programme so that people like us can discuss it - if we didn't who would watch it? Oh I appreciate that it looks like a holiday but honestly it’s far from it. If you can imagine being there for 6 days and 5 of them working constantly between 8.30 - 5.30, not including possibly an hour’s drive to and from the destination, it doesn’t provide much time for relaxation, especially when it comes in dark at that time and the shops are closed!!

Ps. I’m not having ago at anyone here, definitely not, but I am just hoping to give some members a clearer understanding of what happens in a nice sort of way – I see they are asking for people to apply for the next series!!
I understand that there are many factors to take into account such as profits from homes/businesses and also savings when buyiing a new home. We're just trying to get a rough idea of what kind of property we'll be able to afford when we make the move. It does seem that the people within the programme either have incredible savings behind them or they are setting their sights too high. Even if they can buy a 450k house outright, who the heck can afford a decent lifestyle on only 30k?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by stuart.and.michelle
Even if they can buy a 450k house outright, who the heck can afford a decent lifestyle on only 30k?
I imagine that depends on what you class as a 'decent lifestyle'. Some people like going out all the time and spending cash, others don't.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Even without a mortgage to pay, surely the running costs of a home that large woulkd exceed the income. I know I wouldn't be making the move to have a lovely home and no free money to enjoy it.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:59 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Even without a mortgage to pay, surely the running costs of a home that large woulkd exceed the income. I know I wouldn't be making the move to have a lovely home and no free money to enjoy it.
Everyone's lifestyle is different though a bit like for some they wouldn't consider a house without a pool and i've overheard ppl say if they couldn't get a house they liked with one they wouldn't move
Others wouldn't have a house with a pool regardless of how perfect that house is for them in every other way.

As has been said some people go out lots or double they're shopping bill with booze others dont
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

aussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud ofaussiedreamer has much to be proud of

this has really got you all talking.
At the end of the day many expats get themselves into a massive house massive mortgage and massive debt.Many people we know both people have to work in order to pay for their dream.
Alternatively some don't and have huge equity, you never know.

To show rentals in certain areas would be difficult to say the least
1 Arrange with tenants to vacate, video and take two hours for 5 mins tv
2 They like a house furnished as it gives you the dream (if it's decent). Rentals are empty usually. Some house's are staged to sell here.
3 They'd need to tell you your up against 40 -60 other prospective tenants in popular areas put your app in and wait wait and wait. Chase, Chase, Chase and if you lucky you'll get it. Not conducive to getting you here.

They also don't tell you that most expats rent for 6 12 months or until they can get finance.

We were luckiy we sold our house just before the recession hit, it;s now worth £100,000+ less than when we sold .

I find it the same cost of living or less. Utilities are cheaper, rates etc but then we don't live in the city so some things are more. Excursions are in the whole cheaper as they are free and outside.

I LOVE IT AND AM DEFINATELY IN THE RIGHT PLACE. NOTHING BETTER THAN CATCHING A WAVE FIRST THING OR THE 6AM SWIM WITH THE SURF CLUB AND YOUR BOYS.
EMBRACE THE LIFE, LIVE YOUR DREAM AND ENJOY YOUR FAMILY TO THE FULL, AND THAT'S HOW I SEE AUSTRALIA.

JANE
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:07 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I understand that there are many factors to take into account such as profits from homes/businesses and also savings when buyiing a new home. We're just trying to get a rough idea of what kind of property we'll be able to afford when we make the move. It does seem that the people within the programme either have incredible savings behind them or they are setting their sights too high. Even if they can buy a 450k house outright, who the heck can afford a decent lifestyle on only 30k?
The pattern that I've mostly seen on that series so far is people have tended to overvalue their homes and have had high expectations of the house which they intended to buy. More of the same really in the sense that people expect a lot but the dots don't quite join up when it comes to financing it. Also there have been issues about transferring skills to Australia and achieving a like-for-like income.

With the state of the pound right now transferring large sums of money might in any case be unwise. As others have said, renting to start off is what most people seem to do - which is just as well because letting out your UK home until the exchange rate and/or house price improves fits in nicely with that choice. This also provides us with the important safety net in the event of things not working out on the other side.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:49 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I imagine that depends on what you class as a 'decent lifestyle'. Some people like going out all the time and spending cash, others don't.
$30k a year is poverty levels. My last electric bill was $800. Try paying that out of a $30k a year wage.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 8:56 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

My other half now refuses to watch this with me, now that we know how much the editing make Oz and the people on the show seem a certain way!
To be honest, I'm only looking at the houses now as most of the emigration information is so vague and cost of living depends on what you decide you need in your own life. My brother has what I consider a very nice life on a very small salary in Wollongong and if we're half as happy as he and his family are then it'll be worth the move from the UK.

It does get SO boring listening to folk bleating on about missing their family etc, I don't even watch that bit now. Also letting the kids have a say! Really? You're going to let an 8 year old decide the fate of the rest of the family?! But maybe that's just the editing...
Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:28 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Originally Posted by RedT
My other half now refuses to watch this with me, now that we know how much the editing make Oz and the people on the show seem a certain way!
To be honest, I'm only looking at the houses now as most of the emigration information is so vague and cost of living depends on what you decide you need in your own life. My brother has what I consider a very nice life on a very small salary in Wollongong and if we're half as happy as he and his family are then it'll be worth the move from the UK.

It does get SO boring listening to folk bleating on about missing their family etc, I don't even watch that bit now. Also letting the kids have a say! Really? You're going to let an 8 year old decide the fate of the rest of the family?! But maybe that's just the editing...
Haha. I thought I was the only one who sky+'d it so that I can fastforward the messages from home section. Lol
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:01 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lyx
Haha. I thought I was the only one who sky+'d it so that I can fastforward the messages from home section. Lol
Oh no that was our reason for getting sky+ LOL

'Hope your having fun but make sure you're come back' 'don't move'.

I have a great opinion of the people who evidently don't really want them to go but suck it up don't do the sobbing and say they jsut want them to be happy - how rare those family and friends seem to be though !!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
$30k a year is poverty levels. My last electric bill was $800. Try paying that out of a $30k a year wage.
It was £30K not $30K
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

simmoman is an unknown quantity at this point

I am getting pretty fed up with the Wanted Down as it would appear that there is some pretty smart editing going on to create maximum emotional effect/drama or these people have done very little research before thinking about a move. In the age of the internet you would think that most people would have done the sums, looked at job opportunities and house prices.

I just cant understand where people get the concept that they can move to (or near to) a major Australian city and buy a huge house, work less and be better off.

Yes houses are cheaper than the EQUIVALENT house in the UK but thats about it. Everything else costs the same cost if not more. And the cheap petrol thing doesnt count either cos you end up driving twice as far to get anywhere.

I love Australia because of the Australian way of life. I still expect to work hard, miss friends and the UK occasionally but over overall I know where I am happiest.

I cant wait to get back to Oz next month having been in the UK for the last 18 months because I have been constantly reminded why I moved to Oz in the start.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I only saw 2 episodes of the show while in the UK, it was enough

One was Darwin, filmed in winter of course the job on a building site, no mention of the hellish like heat humidity you would experience on site most of the year, just the wonderful views I mean really, most aussie tradies cant hack Darwin weather.

Thought the aussie living costs were underestimated, even though the couples did find them expensive, I mean internet in oz for 10 a month

Also why do the couples look at houses so much more than their UK ones, its like heres one you cant have
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Before we went over with the crew I spent about 18 months researching a wide range of things, including asking many questions from you folkes. I decided before applying that my perceptions about houses would have to be different than those in the UK because it's very much about the outdoors not the indoor living - hopefully!
I had a good idea about prices although still needed reassuring about food prices, work attitudes and general accessibility to a range of amenities.
The whole opportunity I must admit confirmed very much what I already knew whereas my wife, who took very little interest in my research learned quite a lot.
I would never criticize others on the WDU programme because not only would it be totally unfair but the editing of such a programme may hide certain realities / truths. However, it does surprise me when they are extremely disappointed and surprised about such basic things as wages and have your mind changed because of the family and friends video - surely you think about this beforehand??
I leave myself open to ridicule!!!
Old Jan 10th 2010, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=sportsendurance;8235558
I leave myself open to ridicule!!! [/QUOTE]

Awwwww - bless you - I have the feeling you are getting more anxious as the days go by! If nothing else .... You have made everyone aware of how edited these programmes are. Just remember you have lots of friends here who'll enjoy your programme - and we'll let the BBC have it if they portray you badly!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.