Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wanted a boxer pup with docked tail

wanted a boxer pup with docked tail

Old May 6th 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

hello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nice
Default Re: wanted a boxer pup with docked tail

I'm not forcing my beliefs on to you, I am speaking in my professional opinion & experience. Are you a vet or vet nurse?
Old May 6th 2008, 1:41 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hello kitty
I'm not forcing my beliefs on to you, I am speaking in my professional opinion & experience. Are you a vet or vet nurse?
I thought your post was good and spot on.

I trained as a vet nurse, not in the profession anymore though but will have to do some CPD to comply with the register
Old May 6th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

There is nothing natural about pedigree dogs they look the way they do because of selective breeding. if you have a breed of dog then it looks that way because of reputable breeders maintaining their chosen breed for hundreds of years. Breeders have been docking for all this time quite legally in the UK until 1991 when it was only vets allowed and now it isn't legal in the UK with some working exceptions, despite a good campaign run by CDB. Majority of breeders used to use the banding method from about 24 hours of age but vets seemed to prefer to cut the tail with surgical scissors done correctly stitches aren't needed.

I don't have a docked breed but if I wanted one of these breeds I'd prefer docked personally. The OP just came on asking for advise on finding a puppy, according to quick search and info on the net it would seem that docking is perfectly legal in Queensland.

An emotive subject but some of the comparisions on this thread seem to sensationalise a point.

CDB Website

http://www.cdb.org/index.htm
Old May 6th 2008, 1:44 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NatD1978
What's pathetic is people like you invading a thread that is asking a question, and trying to force your opinion and beliefs down my throat!!!!!

I am glad I am not Jewish or else you'd probably have a go for me getting my Kids circumcised as well...........!

go bleat to someone who cares ..... its wrong and cruel -its not a belief - THATS FACT!!

all for looking right .... tells alot about the owner
Old May 6th 2008, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

hello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nicehello kitty is just really nice

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I thought your post was good and spot on.

I trained as a vet nurse, not in the profession anymore though but will have to do some CPD to comply with the register
Hi Princess,

I was replying to NatD with that one, forgot to add the quote sorry. I know what you mean about the CPD though, it's all change now! How's Gordon? I PM'd you a while ago about export companies & you were telling me about his trip over.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:51 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hello kitty
Hi Princess,

I was replying to NatD with that one, forgot to add the quote sorry. I know what you mean about the CPD though, it's all change now! How's Gordon? I PM'd you a while ago about export companies & you were telling me about his trip over.

Gordon is doing fine, he went down to 5.45kgs coming out of quarantine but now he is just over 7kgs and we are trying to diet him.

He had no food in his bowl this morning and proceeded to rake up the carpet in protest.

I thought it would be a good idea to go from the list onto the RCVS register but now I have to do the CPD and its finding the time. I understand that some of it can be online study and then you can do some reading.

I wouldnt mind getting in the odd saturday at a vets to get some hands on experience. Ive been out of it for years now and its all changed I suppose.

It feels funny when I get veterinary related circulars with my name on and RVN after it It reminds me of getting my arse into gear and trying to book some courses.

I dont think I could go back into the profession though, too disillusioned with it, the work was too heavy (lifting), and I worked in some bitchy places.

How about you, are you still in practice?

(Gordon is hanging over his biscuit bowl stuffing down his biscuit as though he has never been fed)
Old May 6th 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

NatD1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am new to the site, and am not looking to pick a fight, so apologies if I sounded like I was being Arsey.

All I was saying is that the original thread wasn't asking about the moral right's or wrong's of Docking Tails, the poster was asking where she could actually get one from.

There are arguements for both sides (http://www.cdb.org/) and this probably isn't a site to do that.

I am not trained at all in veterinary practices, I am merely a loving and caring Dog owner - in fact, Hugo is the first pet we've had with a docked tail (I always thought it looked weird to have no tail, but it does suit certain breeds) hence my comments about Boxers looking strange with tails.

Where we live, we met a Bull-Mastiff rescue Pup called Bruce, that has a tail that bends at about 70 degress a third of the way up due to docking gone wrong!
Old May 6th 2008, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Gordon is doing fine, he went down to 5.45kgs coming out of quarantine but now he is just over 7kgs and we are trying to diet him.

He had no food in his bowl this morning and proceeded to rake up the carpet in protest.

I thought it would be a good idea to go from the list onto the RCVS register but now I have to do the CPD and its finding the time. I understand that some of it can be online study and then you can do some reading.

I wouldnt mind getting in the odd saturday at a vets to get some hands on experience. Ive been out of it for years now and its all changed I suppose.

It feels funny when I get veterinary related circulars with my name on and RVN after it It reminds me of getting my arse into gear and trying to book some courses.

I dont think I could go back into the profession though, too disillusioned with it, the work was too heavy (lifting), and I worked in some bitchy places.

How about you, are you still in practice?

(Gordon is hanging over his biscuit bowl stuffing down his biscuit as though he has never been fed)
I'm the same, have been out for 2 years, for pretty much the same reasons as you! We got our visa last week though (hooray) & the vet surgeries over there seem pretty keen for VN's so I'm thinking about brushing up on my skills & going back to it when I get over (hopefully the end of January). Will have to see though, not looking to lifting heavy dogs again!
Old May 6th 2008, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatD1978
I am new to the site, and am not looking to pick a fight, so apologies if I sounded like I was being Arsey.

All I was saying is that the original thread wasn't asking about the moral right's or wrong's of Docking Tails, the poster was asking where she could actually get one from.

There are arguements for both sides (http://www.cdb.org/) and this probably isn't a site to do that.

I am not trained at all in veterinary practices, I am merely a loving and caring Dog owner - in fact, Hugo is the first pet we've had with a docked tail (I always thought it looked weird to have no tail, but it does suit certain breeds) hence my comments about Boxers looking strange with tails.

Where we live, we met a Bull-Mastiff rescue Pup called Bruce, that has a tail that bends at about 70 degress a third of the way up due to docking gone wrong!
I know this is meant to be a "calm down" post but I dont really think its up to you decide what people can or cannot post on here. As long as its within the BE rules, then its ok to express an opinion. Surely most of the content of this site is made up of opinions?

If anything, the original poster could be a bit of a troll. Either that or just naive to think that asking about mutilation would not prompt heated replies.
Old May 6th 2008, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

warponydestroyer will become famous soon enoughwarponydestroyer will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know where you can get dog ear implants, for the dog, not me - so that they stick up more.

My doberman has floppy ears and i was hoping to make it look a bit more aggressive.
Old May 6th 2008, 2:59 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by warponydestroyer
Does anyone know where you can get dog ear implants, for the dog, not me - so that they stick up more.

My doberman has floppy ears and i was hoping to make it look a bit more aggressive.

when you find someone who does that maybe you could ask if he does leg stretching surgery .... one of my pooches just isnt as tall as the others and the look isnt symetrical when they all walk down the street.
Old May 6th 2008, 3:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A few points, please!
Leave any personal comments out of this. I know nothing about the subject, except that it is obviously an emotive one. Please can you all remember to respect each other's opinions, and please do not post about anything illegal or your post will be removed.
Old May 6th 2008, 3:47 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Oh they still wag their tail, believe me!! Trouble is, because they don't have one it's usually the bum that wobbles instead - very amusing as they nearly fall over from wagging/ wobbling too much!!
so true they really wag their back ends and the little bit of tail they have

great dogs we sadly have to leave our boxer behind but she will be with my DH parents and be very loved.

as far as i am aware it is only illegal for us to doc the tails it has to be done only by a vet who will give them a small injection and its done quicker than you can blink we breed from our boxer and had the pups to the vet when they were about 24 hours old they never made a sound and weren't in pain after wards.

They would have problems with breaking their tails and prob catching them in doors if left from what i understand
Old May 6th 2008, 3:57 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by OzSheila
I don't know about Qld but here in Vic docking is illegal. However the way people get around the legislation is that an interstate vet signs off on the procedure. I know of a local boxer who is due to give birth in a few weeks and the breeder will do exactly this.

FWIW I have a 2.5 year old boxer who is not docked. It took some getting used to as I had only been used to docked boxers in the UK. I am now so pleased we didnt have her docked. The business about medical problems with their tails is a load of rubbish. I have to say their tails do hurt tho when they "whip" you! You get into the habit of standing clear.

Here is our Ruby as a pup:

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/c...3/IMGP2725.jpg

HTH
Ah she is so cute beautiful boxer
personally I don't mind a boxer with a tail we did breed from our boxer but she had 3 litters and only one lot had their tails docked after reading through the posts im a bit shocked at the reactions we had a great vet and the pups were fine I would have passed out other wise as i was pregnant at the time and very queasy our vet specialized in the boxer breed and i can honestly say they were fine and didn't cry at all he did use a injection to numb the area and checked it was working before doing it that was my dogs third and final litter we decided she had done enough and got her neutered she had a bad labour for her last litter and I want her to live to a good healthy old age
Old May 6th 2008, 6:13 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rabc0077
Oh I see, just thought it seemed a tad cruel to stop a dog from being able to express it's joy by wagging it's tail..
It waggs it's body instead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.