Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Any Printers and their advice please.

Wanted: Any Printers and their advice please.

Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

StopDreamingStartDoing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wanted: Any Printers and their advice please.

Originally Posted by seanshellluke
Hi Richard
Have you detailed your day from start to finish as a standard days work or have you put in details say like if the blanket gets a dent about changing it etc, if you put in every sinario that can happen everyday sean says it will go into sheets and sheets of paperwork. I have already typed around ten pages of details of his current and passed jons involvments. That does not include his apprenticeship and certificates etc.
Michelle
So far 130 pages in total, that includes changing balnkets with a description of tools, plating up a unit, changing spray bars ink spreader bars, setting the control desk, setting up and running a reelstand pretty much everything that I could think off and because it was all written when I had the training I just photo copied the sheets which lists Job Description, competency and then a breif description of how the task is done including tools and materials, its then signed by an assessor, i might send a copy of our shift pattern to show the hours I work aswell. Some poor bugger has to sign all 130 sheets (plus the ones I still have to sort out) so I can say they have been certified. When this gets posted i'm going to dread the result incase its not what i want...

Richard
Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

seanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant future

Hi Richard
I have read somewhere you need to copies of everything at least as you have to send one copy with the visa as well, not sure but this what i have read.
Regard
Michelle
Old Feb 18th 2007, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

seanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant future

Hi Richard sorry should have said two copies of everything.
Michelle
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:07 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I might be going mad but the TRA for my husband, a web offset machine printer, was pretty straight forward. He had all his apprenticeship papers and details of the college courses attended over the four years training. He was then in the job for 20 years, local book printer, single colour, in Reading as well as a couple of years for the Mirror and then up in Corby on colour magazines before returning to Cox & Wymans in Reading. We did not produce 130 pages on his job - possibly 20 - listing the machines and the work produced along with references for each company just confirming his positions. We had an agent for the TRA and decided to stick with them for the visa application (glad we did for the TRA, wish we hadn't bothered for the visa).

All of this was five years ago. We have a few friends over here in the Print industry - three alone from Cox & Wymans. Two have lived out in Bendigo I believe there is a fair amount of printing around outer Melbourne as well. One old colleague is in Aldelaide and loving it.

We moved to Sydney because of my work and it took my husband two years to get a job in print, he was a car salesman for those two years. Very much a case of who you knew not what. He was a No 1 single colour in the Uk for many years before he left and is now a No. 2 but he says it is not a bother less easy to get the sack

He works permanent 12 hr nights, four nights one week and three nights another. Because of penalty rates and the shift allowance he gets paid above $80K a year. But this is also Sydney which boosts the salaries. He works 52 weeks a year 4 weeks leave. There are no other paid holidays off. So there is the potential to have to work all bank and state holidays including Christmas. We had our first Australia day together after five years this year, because he wasn't rostered on shift (he worked that day as a Cars Salesman as well).

He could earn more money working the back end of the week - Wednesday to Saturday but that wouldn't leave us much time as a family on weekends.

All the smaller places he tried for work paid really crap or wanted you to start on really crap wages.

I do not know all the ins and outs of the detail, but can ask him any questions you want (he does not post on here - but appreciates the help we have had from others over the years).

Wishing you all the best
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

HI Sandra
Thats sounds more like it my husband also has his apprentice papers and college books etc from when he done his. We now have around 20 sheets of paper which includeds references from previous employers and details on machines, tools etc, when i read Richards posts and tols sean he was like how many (sorry richard no offence).
Think we will put everything in order now and get it certified and send it off the worst that can happen is we have to try again.
I would go with an agent but they all want most of the money upfront and if we fail at the TRA we shouldn't but if we do i am not prepared to lose all the money. I have not found one who will just do the TRA and see what happens.
Many thanks
Michelle
Old Feb 19th 2007, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

scooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nice

hey

I have passed my screenprinting TRA in January. Mine was just em,ployment statements and personal statements.

I believe they are still posted on the 'tra: carpenters example' post in the immigration forum!

Dan and Steph

Last edited by scooterdan; Feb 19th 2007 at 9:12 am.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

I'm getting a bit worried now. After reading some threads and asking around i was told to get as much written down as possible. As this is my first and only job in printing I haven't got much in the qualification area but I have 12 years exprience which hopefully is enough to cover the 6 years experience needed if qualifications are not easily obtainable. So hopefully what i lack in apprenterships and the like I can make up for by describing everything that I can do and how I do it. As the saying goes 'Belts and braces'. 130 pages is excesive i suppose but what else can i do they only say no..... hope they don't though LOL.

Richard
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

scooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nicescooterdan is just really nice

hey!

My TRA was based on only seven years of print experience, with training on the job. I have no formal training, but i passed so anyone can do it. As above mine are still online in another thread.

Dan
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scooterdan
hey!

My TRA was based on only seven years of print experience, with training on the job. I have no formal training, but i passed so anyone can do it. As above mine are still online in another thread.

Dan
Hello again, just a quick question about the TRA, do you only have to get photocopies certified by a solicitor for example certificates or do I have to get everything i typed up certified aswell which aren't really copies. Also do you send the exact same stuff with your main visa application.
By the way knocked it all down from 130 pages to almost 15, some of the stuff was doubled up just written differently.

cheers Richard
Old Mar 13th 2007, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Richard
We have sent ours off today and got the jp at the local court to certify everything regardless of if we typed it or not. Just typed on the back on each one
This is a true certified copy of the original.

Signature......................................... ........................ Date.............................................. .........

Name: .................................................. ...................

Address........................................... .................................................. ..............................................

Telephone No................................................ ..........

Occupation........................................ .................................................. ............................................

Hope what we have done and sent are right if not its going to cost to do it again so fingers crossed it is all right and we pass. Hows your application going.
Sean and Shell
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seanshellluke
Hi Richard
We have sent ours off today and got the jp at the local court to certify everything regardless of if we typed it or not. Just typed on the back on each one
This is a true certified copy of the original.

Signature......................................... ........................ Date.............................................. .........

Name: .................................................. ...................

Address........................................... .................................................. ..............................................

Telephone No................................................ ..........

Occupation........................................ .................................................. ............................................

Hope what we have done and sent are right if not its going to cost to do it again so fingers crossed it is all right and we pass. Hows your application going.
Sean and Shell
Hi to you both,

Just finishing off the TRA, going to put a bit about Health and Saftey aparently they are really up on that sort of thing over there. Then its just detailed employer reference, passport photos and the fee. Then cross everything and hope the first step goes smoothly. I'm now on 17 pages and with the two certificates i picked up today and the reference it should be a nice round 20 pages (130 ... what was i thinking). I agree with the idea of certifying everything 'Belts and Braces' as the saying goes. Do you mind if I ask how much it was to get the whole lot signed had a quote from a solicitor and they said £1 per copy not sure if this is standard fee and did you have to take the originals with you?

Good luck
Richard
Old Mar 13th 2007, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Richard
Did not cost a penny in the magistrates court just have to phone a couple of days before going and make an appointment. I read somewhere the most they can charge if they wish to charge is £8 but then somewhere else i read that a magistrate can't charge as they are a civil servant and can't accept money. Not sure which one i think it depends on the court and the magistrates themselves. We had three magistrates who signed two sets of copies one for the tra and one for the visa application. Tries to get it done in one hit not a nice place to sit and wait around in if you get my drift the other people all think you are them for the same reasons they are.
Regards
Michelle