Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanted: Any Printers and their advice please.

Wanted: Any Printers and their advice please.

Old Feb 15th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

StopDreamingStartDoing is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanted: Any Printers and their advice please.

Hello all, Ive been scouring this forum for any clues about what goes into a printers TRA. I am getting closer to completing mine and sending it off but would like to hear from anybody who has completed sent and passed theirs for a Print Machinist. What goes into the assessment itself? Is there a prctical test or are you judged on the info you send off? Are there any jobs availiable in OZ (preferably Adelaide)? Are there any printers from uk who have found jobs in Australia and how easy or difficult was it to find a job and what is the pay like? Alot of questions I know but if you don't askyou don't get. Looking forward to any replies.

Cheers
Richard & Tammy
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

seanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wanted: Any Printers and their advice please.

Hi
We are just starting my husbands TRA for a print machinist, we are not 100% sure on the exact contents either. But i believe you have to put as much paper proof in as possible and they judge on that whether you are classed as a printing machinist. Might be wrong if so please let me know. We are trying to list as much as possible but unsure exactly what is good info and what is waffle.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by seanshellluke
Hi
We are just starting my husbands TRA for a print machinist, we are not 100% sure on the exact contents either. But i believe you have to put as much paper proof in as possible and they judge on that whether you are classed as a printing machinist. Might be wrong if so please let me know. We are trying to list as much as possible but unsure exactly what is good info and what is waffle.
Hi
Was up until the early hours this morning sorting out loads of paper work, luckily at my workplace we have a grading structure. I had to ask the manager if I could copy out all the work I had done for my grades which included everything from loading a reelstand to what type and colour ink, the printing machines I use tools I use/need on a daily basis. Really Its just a case of taking a peiece of A4 paper pick a task that your husband does for example setting up of any machinery and writing about whats involved and tools and materials used. Like someone said when I was looking about filling in TRA's 'write about anything that could be questioned'. I also took pictures of parts the press and wrote a breif description of what it was so they can see what I was on about. I think experience helps aswell. Let me know how you get on. What sort of printing does your husband do if you don't mind me asking.

cheers Richard
Old Feb 17th 2007, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

seanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant futureseanshellluke has a brilliant future

Hi
High quality brochures etc on a CD102 12 colour with cut star, axis, cp2000 and many other things on the thing that i don't have a clue what they do just glad he does. He's the printer and i'm the typer i think thats the problem he has made pages upon pages of everything he does and he's written it in his printing terms which confuses me a bit when i am typing it all up. Have you been printing long hes been doing it for 20 years. So as you can imagine he has had several jobs so we have to list a lot of machines as he worked on nearly all actually i think it is all heidelberg in the last 20 years the pages go on and on and on.
He has asked what machine you run? how long have you been printing?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:36 am
Forum Regular

Hi
High quality brochures etc on a CD102 12 colour with cut star, axis, cp2000 and many other things on the thing that i don't have a clue what they do just glad he does. He's the printer and i'm the typer i think thats the problem he has made pages upon pages of everything he does and he's written it in his printing terms which confuses me a bit when i am typing it all up. Have you been printing long hes been doing it for 20 years. So as you can imagine he has had several jobs so we have to list a lot of machines as he worked on nearly all actually i think it is all heidelberg in the last 20 years the pages go on and on and on.
He has asked what machine you run? how long have you been printing?
Hi to you both, i've been in printing for twelve years working on a Goss HT60 off-set lithograhic press. No real training to begin with but after a while you get to most of how it works lol, and our company paid for some of us to do a BTEC course so we could have at least some qualification to show for the time we had been printing for them. We print newspapers our main title is an in house job called the Leicester Mercury which is the regional newspaper for where I live but we also do the Sun and The News Of The World and lots of other titles from around the country. After looking around at jobs in Australia I may have to look at a different kinds of printing but we'll have to see what happens, if we get over there we're there for good. Have you done much research into the move cost of living etc. I've done some snooping and it doesn't look to bad a decision can't wait.

Richard
Old Feb 18th 2007, 2:41 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby in printing and he had to do exactly what you're doing to get through the TRA. List every tool you use, every piece of machinery, items produced, courses gone on, management skills etc etc etc.

Every single trivial thing...stick it down.

Good luck.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Hubby in printing and he had to do exactly what you're doing to get through the TRA. List every tool you use, every piece of machinery, items produced, courses gone on, management skills etc etc etc.

Every single trivial thing...stick it down.

Good luck.
Hi TraceyW,
Don't suppose you could give me an insight into the assessment itself could you. Did your husband have to do a written test or anything like that? just so we know what to expect. Oh and what was it like finding a job in printing over in Oz?

Cheers Richard
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:56 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by StopDreamingStartDoing
Hi TraceyW,
Don't suppose you could give me an insight into the assessment itself could you. Did your husband have to do a written test or anything like that? just so we know what to expect. Oh and what was it like finding a job in printing over in Oz?

Cheers Richard

We went through an agent called Global Visas and they made sure all of the docs were in order. Hubby is a print finisher and no, he didn't have to do any assessment.( A friend who is a printer didn't have to do an assessment either. ) All the documents took months to compile as references from companies are a pain in the butt to get!

We live in Perth and he's had two jobs since being here but been offered several. Look in The West on a saturday and there will be at least 10 printers and finishers jobs up.

Brisbane, we hear, is pretty much the same. According to hubby the industry was going down the pan when we left the UK 2.5 years ago. It's not like that here.

One thing; be prepared to start out on seriously crap wages. The policy is here; you prove what you're worth and they'll up your pay.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Latona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud ofLatona has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by StopDreamingStartDoing
Hi TraceyW,

Cheers Richard
hi
are you going through an agent if so have they not given you any examples of similar TRA's .It is difficult knowing what to tell them ,as to if your going to write too much or not enough.I am a heidelberg engineer and although it would have to be quite different if it would help i can PM you info on what i put in mine.
good luck
peterxdenise
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Latona
hi
are you going through an agent if so have they not given you any examples of similar TRA's .It is difficult knowing what to tell them ,as to if your going to write too much or not enough.I am a heidelberg engineer and although it would have to be quite different if it would help i can PM you info on what i put in mine.
good luck
peterxdenise
That would be great, I guess they go on what you send them. Hope I've got enough bumff together to get through.

Cheers Richard
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Hi Richard
Hubby done the city and guilds apprenticeship. And worked in the same company for 10 years then has had several job working up through the machines since. Mostly does high quality brochures and things now. Latona it would be great if you would contact us, hubby worked as a demonstrator in the mid west division of heidelberg for a couple of years any help you can give would be great.
Looked at various areas etc not sure on which one we are not that bothered if it on the coast or inland. Done research on cost of living and house prices etc but a little bit concerned about the money they are paying printers in oz, can't seem to find many places with big machines and thats what pays the serious money. We are a little older that you richard 36 and have a 12yr old so have to take into account areas and schools etc. Do you have any kids?. If anyone can tell us about what age in oz they do their equivalent to our GCSEs that would be a great help as i notice they are in school until they are 18 and start secondary school later than here at 13.
Many thanks
Sean and Michelle
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

We have three kids Beth 7 Morgan 5 and Jessica 8 months, Ohh the flight will be fun..... Looked at Perth to begin with but decided it would be too expensive a place to start a new life so we decided on Adelaide the houses seem just as nice and a little cheaper. Printing jobs over in OZ seem plentiful I just hope there are some jobs out there when or if I get TRA and Visa. We're a bit worried about the starting wage as none of the jobs advertised state the salary but if my findings are correct there seems to be a Standard Federal Minimum wage which works out to roughly $24000 a year, have no idea if thats for skilled immigrants aswell but it doesn't look like a wage you could live on. In school until 18 mmmmmmm

Richard
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Richard
Yeah $24k not that much when you convert it back sean was earning that many years ago. Sean has lots of family in Adelaide so we prob will end up there to start with or vicotira or queensland don't really know until we know we can go. Are you applying on your own or with an agent? We have had some agent quotes etc and have been told so many different things that we are unsure thinking about filling in the TRA form for ourselves first and see if we get accepted. I think they are in school until 18 i may be wrong but that seems to be what most things i have found say.
Regards
Michelle
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Richard
Yeah $24k not that much when you convert it back sean was earning that many years ago. Sean has lots of family in Adelaide so we prob will end up there to start with or vicotira or queensland don't really know until we know we can go. Are you applying on your own or with an agent? We have had some agent quotes etc and have been told so many different things that we are unsure thinking about filling in the TRA form for ourselves first and see if we get accepted. I think they are in school until 18 i may be wrong but that seems to be what most things i have found say.
Regards
Michelle
We looked at agents but decided to go it alone to save some cash, paying for the TRA will be ok but I can see overtime on the horizen for the £1900 fee for the Visa itself. I think i'm getting close to getting TRA complete just a few loose ends like c.v, certificate thats stuck at post office because i was asleep when postman came and a couple of other minor things. Never been to Oz so we might be going there blind and making it up as we go along but thats all part of the fun, Adelaide sounds like me laid back but choosing the right district or suburb (i don't know what they call them) could be a case of hit and miss. Been in touch with a printer in queensland who earns $56k a year which is the same as what i'm on here in uk when converted, so it is possible to earn more than minimum wage, you just have to prove your worth..... how long takes who can tell.

Richard
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Richard
Have you detailed your day from start to finish as a standard days work or have you put in details say like if the blanket gets a dent about changing it etc, if you put in every sinario that can happen everyday sean says it will go into sheets and sheets of paperwork. I have already typed around ten pages of details of his current and passed jons involvments. That does not include his apprenticeship and certificates etc.
Michelle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.