Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to take bike

Want to take bike

Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

LisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really niceLisaT is just really nice
Default Want to take bike

My hubby wants to take is off roader to Oz but we don't know if it's financially viable.
Can anyone advise what it would costs as it's not a road bike?
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Graham67 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Want to take bike

Hi Lisa just had a quote to take my road bike. Crown are going to ship it for £469.00 incl. in cost is £40.00 Quarantine costs. You would have to insure the bike as a seperate charge. Hubby would have to make sure the bike was spotless or he would incur a further cleaning charge. May be difficult with an off roader.Lots of fellow travellers/movers gave me great advice around duty/sales tax which may be payable. For me it's 10% of the value. Check out Squeezzii's comments as I asked the same question earlier in the week. RE:Motorcycle help 01/02/06. He explains a lot of the ins and outs after importing his Daytona. Good luck hope all goes well.
Old Feb 3rd 2006, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice
Default Re: Want to take bike

Originally Posted by LisaT
My hubby wants to take is off roader to Oz but we don't know if it's financially viable.
Can anyone advise what it would costs as it's not a road bike?
Motorbikes don't have to pay customs duty but do have to pay 10% GST on the customs value, which is the value of the bike plus the shipping plus the insurance.

You still need to get approval from dotars to import the bike first. If it is a trail bike, then it will be considered as a road bike. You don't need to register it though, but it will need to count as your personal import, unless it is over 15? years old.
  1. If your bike falls into the category where it has some on road features but is predominately an off-road bike, the Administrator may grant import approval if you agree to the following:
  2. Direction indicators lamps are not fitted at time of importation nor at any time later;
  3. Registration plate holder is not fitted at time of importation nor at any time later;
  4. Tyres suitable for off-road use only are fitted at time import and at all times later; and
  5. A durable self adhesive label is affixed in a conspicuous position immediately after taking delivery of the vehicle in Australia. The label must include the words "this motorcycle is not certified to comply with the Australian Design Rules and may not be registered for normal on road use".
If the bike is considered an off road bike, then you can bring in another vehicle as your personal import. The advantage of a vehicle being a personal import is that it does not need to meet the Australian Design regulations (something that is very difficult to prove it meets) You don't want to bring in a road vehicle that is not a personal import.

I brought in a trials bike as an off road vehicle and got away with it because it was purpose built for off road. If you are only using the bike on private land, that is the end of it, pay your 10% and take it away. However, if you want to use the bike in state forests, then you need to get a recreational registration for it. This probably varies state to state, but in victoria the bike needs chainguard, lights, horn and has to be quiet and varius other things I can't remember off the top of my head. I think it needs a mirror too. Although the tracks through the forests are pretty rough, they are considered to be public roads.
For all the hassle, its probably worth just getting something over here when you see how things are working for you.