Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

want to spray but dont want to harm other wildlife!

want to spray but dont want to harm other wildlife!

Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice
Default want to spray but dont want to harm other wildlife!

We want to spray outside for insects etc but we love the gekkos etc and wouldn't want to harm them.

A silly question but can with kill one without the other?

Mandy
Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: want to spray but dont want to harm other wildlife!

Originally Posted by scrawni
We want to spray outside for insects etc but we love the gekkos etc and wouldn't want to harm them.

Mandy
I guess that depends which insects you want to spray for. If the geckoes are eating the insects, then they may well be poisoned if it's a systemic pesticide.

Why do you want to spray outside may I ask?
Old Nov 8th 2004, 10:20 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Mandy

I guess the best thing to do would be to ask your local 'spray man'. We got our place sprayed about 18months ago... I can't remember the geckos being affected, but perhaps they were.
Old Nov 8th 2004, 11:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mlbonner
I guess the best thing to do would be to ask your local 'spray man'. We got our place sprayed about 18months ago... I can't remember the geckos being affected, but perhaps they were.
The "spray people" do apparently use different sprays for different pests, so that suggestion seems a very good one.
We spray every 12 months, and it's getting close to that time again, I saw a cockroach in the garage yesterday !! (mind you, it may have been trying to get out of the rain !! )

Old Dec 19th 2004, 12:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but theres a reason! We have ^%&%$%%^% roaches coming up the water outlet into the shower. Draino doesn;t work - they are partying on it!
Anyone recommend something we can put down the drain that might help - kind of thing the professionals use?
Old Dec 19th 2004, 1:09 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but theres a reason! We have ^%&%$%%^% roaches coming up the water outlet into the shower. Draino doesn;t work - they are partying on it!
Anyone recommend something we can put down the drain that might help - kind of thing the professionals use?

Good morning Polly!

We found something at Bunnings, but I can't remember what it was called! It's an industrial strength pest spray, designed for spraying around the outside of the house (eaves, around windows, etc) which kills all manner of bugs. It comes in a (roughly) 3 litre spray pack complete with pump handle and extendable spray hose/nossle. MrPR sprayed a week or so ago and we've had less critters around but I'm still seeing the skinks, etc, so no probs there. If you go to your local hardware store and describe it, I'm sure they'd know what the product is called.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 2:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ProofReader

Good morning Polly!

We found something at Bunnings, but I can't remember what it was called! It's an industrial strength pest spray, designed for spraying around the outside of the house (eaves, around windows, etc) which kills all manner of bugs. It comes in a (roughly) 3 litre spray pack complete with pump handle and extendable spray hose/nossle. MrPR sprayed a week or so ago and we've had less critters around but I'm still seeing the skinks, etc, so no probs there. If you go to your local hardware store and describe it, I'm sure they'd know what the product is called.

Was it Mortein Professional
http://www.brightideas.com.au/2002/i...=369&p=mortein

Woolworths and other stores also stock it. 1lt & 2 lt containers. Remember to shake it before spraying, otherwise its a bit thick to come through the spray head.

Old Dec 19th 2004, 2:35 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Was it Mortein Professional
http://www.brightideas.com.au/2002/i...=369&p=mortein

Woolworths and other stores also stock it. 1lt & 2 lt containers. Remember to shake it before spraying, otherwise its a bit thick to come through the spray head.
Looks like a good one - we have the ordinary indoor surface speay, but it'd be good to stop them before they get in here!
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:13 am
Home and Happy

Well, KMart has come up trumps with Mortein Professional, and we have found the drain outside which appears to be the way in for the little varmints. Will let you know how well it works, as The Bloke is going to attack all round it tonight (I hope).

Moral of the story so far....be careful what you wish for, it may come true..... on Saturday night, confronted with three smirking roaches, I sent up a prayer, please God send me a Huntsman to control the gits.
Yep, you guessed it, en route to bed last night, sleepy, had my fill of Expats and pizza, opened bathroom door......... and there was this beautiful grinning Huntsman! Size of a small plate (bread'n'butter plate kind of thing), perched on the edge of the bath, as if it had moved in to stay. :scared:

I don't know how I managed not to wake The Bloke with my shriek - not so much fear as taken by surprise - and I just had to leave it there. No point trying to wash it down the plughole...... the body was too big!

Its still here, somewhere, I only hope its justified its existence and eaten any roaches that appeared today.
Old Dec 20th 2004, 6:19 am
ABCDiamond

Mandy
Just for the record, we have an annual pest spray done, inside and out, and I use Mortein professional on occasions outside, and we have normal fly spray and surface spray available for ants and flies etc.

We always have friendly gekkos in the house, so I am assuming they are not harmed by the chemicals.