Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to open a bank account for oz in uk.

Want to open a bank account for oz in uk.

Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Want to open a bank account for oz in uk.

Going to oz in mid jan to validate my visa for a month,not planning on making a move over there for at least one year,maybe longer.
Not sure still where i be heading east or west coast but most likely west for my type of work.
I beleive you can open oz bank accounts before you head to oz,i know also you pay monthly fees to have these accounts not like the uk which is free.
Whats the most common bank on here most open with,one that is highly recommended and also has the lowest fees,best service and offers the most as in future credit cards and loans etc.
I would want possibly a cheque book as well as the debit card,but if credit cards could be obtained too then great,but i feel you need to be working a while there first before that can be done.
As i am going there in jan for a month,i could do most of the work here and when i get there finish it off or collect my stuff.
Does it matter where i might end up living or going as i said not sure just yet what state i be going most likely w.a.
If there are fees,probably best if they are the lowest out there,and also would need to be able to link the account when opened with uk accounts and say others i might wish to keep open as well as hifx transfers.

I got some details sometime back from i think was westpac when i opened an account with hifx,but i am unsure which bank would be best to go for.anyone give some advise.
Probably a uk thing but would need to be a bank in oz that is strong and is not in trouble like some around the world today as be waisting my time really with that bank.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:21 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to open a bank account for oz in uk.

Originally Posted by brian.w
Going to oz in mid jan to validate my visa for a month,not planning on making a move over there for at least one year,maybe longer.
Not sure still where i be heading east or west coast but most likely west for my type of work.
I beleive you can open oz bank accounts before you head to oz,i know also you pay monthly fees to have these accounts not like the uk which is free.
Whats the most common bank on here most open with,one that is highly recommended and also has the lowest fees,best service and offers the most as in future credit cards and loans etc.
I would want possibly a cheque book as well as the debit card,but if credit cards could be obtained too then great,but i feel you need to be working a while there first before that can be done.
As i am going there in jan for a month,i could do most of the work here and when i get there finish it off or collect my stuff.
Does it matter where i might end up living or going as i said not sure just yet what state i be going most likely w.a.
If there are fees,probably best if they are the lowest out there,and also would need to be able to link the account when opened with uk accounts and say others i might wish to keep open as well as hifx transfers.

I got some details sometime back from i think was westpac when i opened an account with hifx,but i am unsure which bank would be best to go for.anyone give some advise.
Probably a uk thing but would need to be a bank in oz that is strong and is not in trouble like some around the world today as be waisting my time really with that bank.
Please do a search as this is a recurring question.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w

ANZ are pretty good and you can open with them before getting here.

Forget the chque book, they cost you money and no-one here works on cheques.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:29 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

we opened an account with HSBC whilst we were in the UK we liased with sydney office- they were very helpful and it was quite straightforward and no, we never had any accounts with them in the UK previously
Old Sep 20th 2008, 12:33 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

We opened an account with Wespac whilst we were in the UK using their telephone banking facility.. (think the call centre was based in Tassy).. we opened the account in Perth WA and provided you have over $1500 per month in the account there is no monthly charge..

We couldnt access the account or suchlike until we had offically gone into the branch on George Street, Perth and then we had to make an appointment to see the advisor.. we then spent about an hour and a half in with the advisor who set everything up (ordered chq books and or cards) and then it was all up and running..

Em x
Old Sep 21st 2008, 4:21 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Apply online at Westpac.com.au

It took no time
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:45 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

We used the Commonwealth Bank.Opened account on- line then completed over the phone.They were really helpful when we got here and we ended up getting alot of our insurance with them.Its a huge bank with lots of branches and ATM's
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:48 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

You can open a Westpac account online here.

To apply for a Westpac account you must be able to answer yes to all the following conditions:
1. I am planning to relocate to Australia and wish to open a bank account before I depart
2. My relocation will be permanent, or for a minimum of 12 months
3. I am aged 12 years or older
4. I am arriving in Australia and able to complete an identity check at my Westpac branch within 90 days of application.
5. I am able to transfer funds into my new Westpac account within 30 days of application.
6. I have read the Deposit Accounts for Personal Customers Product Disclosure Statement that applies to the above account/s.
HTH
Darren
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 8:49 pm
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Bloke
Please do a search as this is a recurring question.
Now if everyone actually used the search function, what would everybody else have to do all day with no questions to answer...