Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Want to move back to Aus

Want to move back to Aus

Old Jun 9th 2021, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Want to move back to Aus

Sorry to tell you but it is all too familiar! Bad news is........ It will feel different when you go back to Australia. Perhaps easier to move to a new part of Australia and start again. Sorry
Old Jun 10th 2021, 1:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I don't disagree. We should be able to leave at will and return at will even if that means a 2 week at your own expense hotel stay.

But the fact remains you can get out. I don't know anyone who has had any trouble leaving for more than 3 months and I know plenty of have done just that.

The problem is the more in hotel quarrentine the greater the chance of Covid leaks, and that bad for politics because the majority, the narrow minds, don't think beyond Australia. If it really was a health issue then we could go to be with loved ones.

I am on your side. We should be able to travel.
You may not know anyone who has been refused, but trust me there are some heartbreaking stories on the facebook groups. The groups are private so I can't repost the stories, but todays include a parent with a child born to surrogate parents in northern Europe early last year. Parent has been refused numerous times when trying to get an exemption to go and collect their child. Person trying to visit their parent dying of cancer refused FIFTEEN times. Person trying to leave permanently to the US, job to go to etc - EIGHT rejections. Single parent with cancer diagnosis and not long to live wishes to take her chil back to the UK to be cared for by grandparents - THREE rejections.

Up to the end of April, 305,000 requests had been made to leave Australia, 74,000 of which were denied.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...-ban/100118998

Personally I am now just demoralised by it all. I am trying to convince myself that spending the rest of my life somewhere that I feel increasingly unhappy with, is just something I have to accept. I can/'t afford to not work for 3 months, having had 8 months off work sick I have zero savings, so its just not practical. I no longer expect to see my family again and tbh if I get covid now I will refuse medical treatment and let it finish me off. And I know of others on facebk who are feeling the same.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Person trying to leave permanently to the US, job to go to etc - EIGHT rejections.
I am sure there are more than meets the eye to some of these stories especially this one. You are allowed to leave for work, even if it's not permanent.

They do need to get this sorted. We can't have the narrow minds, those who don't travel, the majority, dictating the next election and our lives. Stay strong.

PS I know someone who was able to go and return from Italy to spend time with their grieving mother after their father died so not sure why the German story couldn't be offered the same. Compassion is a reason for leaving.

Last edited by Beoz; Jun 11th 2021 at 3:03 am.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 11:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I am sure there are more than meets the eye to some of these stories especially this one. You are allowed to leave for work, even if it's not permanent.

They do need to get this sorted. We can't have the narrow minds, those who don't travel, the majority, dictating the next election and our lives. Stay strong.

PS I know someone who was able to go and return from Italy to spend time with their grieving mother after their father died so not sure why the German story couldn't be offered the same. Compassion is a reason for leaving.
I suspect part of it comes down to who's desk it lands on, and what that person considers to be "compassionate reasons" - with something like this its so subjective, isn't it.

As you say though, it needs sorting and the narrow minded anti-migrant, anti-foreigner brigade need to learn a few facts of life. I've been horrified by some of the comments I've heard, and to my surprise many of them come from people who do like to travel. An Aussie colleague of mine, who has made many trips abroad, overheard me telling someone that I don't expect to ever see my elderly mother again, and he responded with "She's not Australian and doesn't live in Australia, therefore we really don't care." I still work with him, because I have to, but I can't forgive him.
Old Jun 11th 2021, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I suspect part of it comes down to who's desk it lands on, and what that person considers to be "compassionate reasons" - with something like this its so subjective, isn't it.

As you say though, it needs sorting and the narrow minded anti-migrant, anti-foreigner brigade need to learn a few facts of life. I've been horrified by some of the comments I've heard, and to my surprise many of them come from people who do like to travel. An Aussie colleague of mine, who has made many trips abroad, overheard me telling someone that I don't expect to ever see my elderly mother again, and he responded with "She's not Australian and doesn't live in Australia, therefore we really don't care." I still work with him, because I have to, but I can't forgive him.
Not sure it's the anti immigration brigade. I would put it more to those who are happy living life in their mostly restriction free bubble and don't give a shit for any one else. A bit like those idiots who refuse the AZ vaccination. It's all about them rather than others and the bigger picture. I can imagine the higher proportion of bogans and inbreds and Queensland make it tough for you.
Old Jun 12th 2021, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Blighty was beyond help a long time ago.
That is because we don't need any help we do perfectly well thank you
Old Jun 12th 2021, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retirednow
Good. And it keeps the riff raff out!
And the riff raff in lol
Old Jun 12th 2021, 3:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I loved living in the UK, and I love living in Australia.
Old Jun 13th 2021, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harri_delf
Hello everyone,

I'm new here: female, 31, Sussex born and bred, moved to Perth, WA, 10 years ago alone, got citizenship and then, guilt-ridden after the deaths of three grandparents and ageing parents, returned to the UK (Bristol) two years ago with Australian fiance (on partner visa).

We are pretty miserable here. After an initial honeymoon period of say three months, the first year was hard: money here is awful and, even though I earn about as much as I did in Aus (Project Manager in IT), it doesn't allow for decent quality of life or saving like in Australia. My partner (lawyer) took a 40% pay cut which has been devastating for him. We're horrified by the pension schemes here (no wonderful mandatory super!). Despite arriving with significant savings, we're now in debt. So much for buying our English home in 2020!

I thought I was coming back to be closer to family and friends (probably like lots of others). The reality is that life has moved on here and I'm not part of it. People have learnt to live without me and, once the initial novelty of me being back wore off, I barely see people. Even before Covid, my sister had only been to visit me once and my friends are having babies so their priorities are (rightfully) elsewhere. It actually feels very lonely because I put in a lot of effort to see everyone but it isn't reciprocated and I miss my Australian life, routine and friends (who had become my expat family). It's much worse for my partner, especially now during Covid and not being able to visit home and family.

The weather is exhausting. I hated it before and I hate it now. The winters are brutal - seemingly endless, dark, cold and miserable days, exacerbated by the lack of money. The summers are good when the sun shines - and a repetitive game of "when's the sun coming back" when it's raining.

Everywhere, even the countryside, seems to be crawling with people and cars. It's so overwhelming after years in WA. I'm a country girl and had hoped, romantically, before moving back, that we'd get a cottage in the countryside but now, I can't seem to even visit my family home without the sound of traffic on some nearby A road.

I'd wanted to be back here to have kids. The UK offers better maternity leave and undeniably better education. But now... I cannot imagine having kids here. The life here for a child compared to Aus are lightyears apart.

The natural review point for us would be the end of my partner's visa in March 2022. Having said all of this, I'm terrified of moving back to WA and having the resumption of guilt - especially because I'm worried I'll feel as though we didn't give it a "real go" because Covid interrupted what life could have been here.

Does anyone else feel the same? Did anyone else return to the UK just before Covid? How are you coping?

And has anyone else returned to the UK, thinking it would be permanent, but then gone back to Aus? How did it feel? Do you still have the guilt and what ifs?

Thanks for reading - I'm sorry it's such a long whinge.
hi
i was in Perth about 12 yrs ago, very homesick and always on the Moving Back to the Uk threads. A lot of reasons similar to you. Long story short - I have been back in Perth 4.5 years now and the family are all doing are citizenship tests.
mill go into more detail re the circumstances etc later if it helps but I think my practical advice is the best I can give right now….
Never ever think in terms of permanency. By that I mean remind yourself you have choices. If you have enough about you to be able to migrate and migrate again, you are more than capable of doing it as many times as needs be if you have dual nationality. Try really hard to live more short term. I say things in my head - and to family back in the Uk, that Perth suits me for now but nothings forever. It helps me cope and makes me not consider that I’ve made a mistake. It is what it is at the moment. And that’s ok. I had a great life in the uk and I have a great life in Perth when you consider what others deal with. I am lucky to be able to experience a dual life - although sometimes sad. Ignore the dickheads on here that rant about how one country is better than the other. Neither is. It’s like comparing apples and pears and asking what is the better apple. Those that slag off the UK - shame on you for forgetting your roots and what made you. You must have a strange worldview to criticise everything that’s made you, you. To those that slag off Oz - you come of your own free will. It’s up to you, not Australia to adapt. And if you can’t that’s ok - you’ve just solved the apples and pears riddle!
good luck
Chance
Old Jun 13th 2021, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
That is because we don't need any help we do perfectly well thank you
Yeah the COVID death toll was not relevant.
Old Aug 10th 2021, 7:18 am
Just Joined

ahoy99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for posting this thread and starting the conversation. Good luck on making the decision. Your point about savings really resonated with me. Both me and my partner work here in UK, both technologists and have standard/decent salaries. We have always struggled to save enough or put enough for pensions etc as everything is so expensive. We have family in Perth and their life styles are very different, they always say they are able to save a lot and have similar professional jobs

I had always wondered about that, and thought that's not really possible as both these countries have a high cost of living - it was good to hear you raise that point as well.
Old Aug 10th 2021, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ahoy99
Thank you for posting this thread and starting the conversation. Good luck on making the decision. Your point about savings really resonated with me. Both me and my partner work here in UK, both technologists and have standard/decent salaries. We have always struggled to save enough or put enough for pensions etc as everything is so expensive. We have family in Perth and their life styles are very different, they always say they are able to save a lot and have similar professional jobs

I had always wondered about that, and thought that's not really possible as both these countries have a high cost of living - it was good to hear you raise that point as well.
I think you'll find there is no general rule and saving more doesn't necessarily mean you are better off financially. It might be the case with your family and then there will also be people in Perth who don't manage to save. Some people just have to save more because they are hit with higher bills and others might have little savings but could be mortgage free, have lower property taxes and healthcare is covered. You could have friends in the US saving $2000 each month but are they really better off than the couple in Wales saving £500?
Old Aug 11th 2021, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

m2m2012 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's true that Australia is still the "lucky country" in some ways; but it's also true it has became a real sh%#hole in other ways...here's the latest example:

Barbaric: Returning citizens who live abroad will need permission to leave Australia

Surely Brits looking for better weather can find a country where the government are not complete and utter bastards?

Last edited by m2m2012; Aug 11th 2021 at 5:25 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thereandback
I moved back to the UK after getting citizenship. The first year was amazing and then I realised what a mistake it had been. Nobody had time for anyone and it was so negative and moaning. I had to stick at it for the kids and now after 14 years have been able to finally return (mid pandemic). I am so pleased to be here (Adelaide) just a shame not all my kids could return but at least we can have great holidays together.
And people have the time or interest here in Australia towards others? I agree there is more negativity in UK but same applies to much of Europe. Australia does IMO appear often to be somewhat naïve at best and ignorant to the outside world while at worst consumed by greed .
Old Aug 20th 2021, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Dare I ask what things specifically are there to be deeply concerned about in Australia?
There are so many things. But for now the growth of the black economy in drug production among professionals, Uni students, Middle Aged and older folk in my location, has awoken me to just how Australia is close to the top in meth abusing countries in the world. Perth being close to the top of that pile, with Adelaide topping that apparently is hardly the ideal look.