Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wanneroo info please

Wanneroo info please

Old May 2nd 2005, 8:25 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough
Question Wanneroo info please

Could anyone tell me what Wanneroo is REALLY like. We have a cousin living there (since the 60´s actually) who will probably want to find us a rental property in the area when we make the big move. Heard it´s a bit iffy ?? Perhaps there are better parts of it ? Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 2nd 2005, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wanneroo info please

Originally Posted by keep smiling
Could anyone tell me what Wanneroo is REALLY like. We have a cousin living there (since the 60´s actually) who will probably want to find us a rental property in the area when we make the big move. Heard it´s a bit iffy ?? Perhaps there are better parts of it ? Any help would be appreciated.
Im assuming you mean Wanneroo in Perth. My brother lives there, and tells me its great. No problems with Hoons and very close to good shops and parks. Get more for your money in Wanneroo as its the other side of Joondalup lake. Were heading there in August and cant wait.
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:38 am
UK Bound

keep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the roughkeep smiling is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by chr1sarter
Im assuming you mean Wanneroo in Perth. My brother lives there, and tells me its great. No problems with Hoons and very close to good shops and parks. Get more for your money in Wanneroo as its the other side of Joondalup lake. Were heading there in August and cant wait.
Yes, the Wanneroo in Perth - sorry. Thanks a lot, you´ve put my mind at rest now. Maybe see you there by the end of the year !!
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:30 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Some guy has just been shot in wanneroo for telling off 2 kids that were shotting at birds. They shot him and ran off :scared:
Should be a bit safer when you get there after these kids are found and jailed!
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:38 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Some guy has just been shot in wanneroo for telling off 2 kids that were shotting at birds. They shot him and ran off :scared:
It's a bit "mullets and utes". I wouldn't live there myself.
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:51 am
UK Bound

Originally Posted by renth
It's a bit "mullets and utes". I wouldn't live there myself.
Sorry, but don´t know what "mullets and utes" are - not into Oz talk yet Doesn´t sound too good tho......
Old May 3rd 2005, 9:52 am
UK Bound

Does this sort of thing happen often then ?
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

I've got friends who had a very bad experience in Waneroo, but it was a few years ago (neighbour stabbed and left on lawn). Having said that, Waneroo is huge... you get the main town area of Waneroo, but it also includes all the surrounding areas. (Rather like "Joonalup" is a suburb and can be used to describe a larger area of suburbs).
Some people love it, I'm still asking around to get a better perspective as one bad story isn't enough to put me off. Another Aussie mate reckons it's a good area, just a bit further from the coast. Some of Waneroo is very pretty, market gardens, vineyards etc. I guess the further east you go the cheaper it will get.
Take care
Larissa
(Undecided on Waneroo)
Old May 3rd 2005, 10:35 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

I think wanneroo is fine ,crime is worldwide .
I have lived in rough areas of the uk and never had any real problems.
If i saw a house i liked in wanneroo at the right price i would buy simple as that.
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:54 am
UK Bound

Originally Posted by Larissa
I've got friends who had a very bad experience in Waneroo, but it was a few years ago (neighbour stabbed and left on lawn). Having said that, Waneroo is huge... you get the main town area of Waneroo, but it also includes all the surrounding areas. (Rather like "Joonalup" is a suburb and can be used to describe a larger area of suburbs).
Some people love it, I'm still asking around to get a better perspective as one bad story isn't enough to put me off. Another Aussie mate reckons it's a good area, just a bit further from the coast. Some of Waneroo is very pretty, market gardens, vineyards etc. I guess the further east you go the cheaper it will get.
Take care
Larissa
(Undecided on Waneroo)
Thanks a lot Larissa. It´s great of you to ask around for me. We´re not worried about being near the coast, and if it´s a pretty place it´ll do for us - we love the idea of living near vineyards etc. and of course we are looking for value for money when we buy a house. As everyone knows crime is everywhere anyway !!

Theresa
Old May 3rd 2005, 11:57 am
UK Bound

I think wanneroo is fine ,crime is worldwide .
I have lived in rough areas of the uk and never had any real problems.
If i saw a house i liked in wanneroo at the right price i would buy simple as that.
I quite agree Perthforme. We could well end up buying there ourselves. Thanks for the info.
Old May 3rd 2005, 12:15 pm
Paul, Louise, Laura & Amy

gajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant futuregajjitt has a brilliant future

Hi,

we've not been here for long. Been looking around at suburbs in the Joondalup area in the last couple of days. We drove through Wanneroo yesterday, it seems like a decent place. A well settled suburb with lots of facilties, unlike nearby Hocking which is new and sparkling but has no facilities and relies on Wanneroo.

I suppose it depends on what you like, we liked Edgewater, Warwick, Joondalup, Hamersley etc as they seem like well established and very green and have lots of facilities, whereas places like Carramar, Kinross, Butler etc are nice spanking new suburbs but as yet are sandy and rely on the more established surrounding suburbs such as Joondalup.

But I'm new here, so others please comment.

P.S. I'm looking at Clarkson which is equally as sandy, but has a newly built railway station. So I'm no judge. Hehe!

Paul
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:01 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Wanneroo covers a large area although many original areas have now been renamed, Sinagra and Ashby are both areas which used to be part of Wanneroo but are now classed as suburbs in their own right. Wanneroo is an area to be cautious of, there are many nice parts and also many areas where homes are on larger country style blocks, look up Pinjar road towards Banksia Grove and behind Sinagra and Ashby there are some lovely homes, but in the central part of Wanneroo you will find a lot of older housing and also a fair amount of associaltion housing, which may put some people off.

From Wanneroo you will still hit the surf in 15mins, you will be in the city in 25 (off peak) you will be at a railway station in under 10 mins no matter where in Wanneroo you stay. If you do decide to look at property there, spend plenty time in the area, walk around, talk to people, spend time in the parks after school or on the weekend, listen to the kids, go into the shops and ask people where to avoid.

Yes Wanneroo has problems but it is hard to find an established suburb that doesn't and thats not just in WA! In an established suburb you are going to get a huge mix of people, some good, some not.

From a personal viewpoint if i was going to buy in Wanneroo i'd look at the new area on the Lake Joondalup side of Wanneroo Rd, or one of the estates from Carramar to Sinagra, where you have the combination of the new house not to far from the facilities of Wanneroo. But if i was going to look inland i'd go for parts of Ballajura.

Have a nosey at the suburb profiles here http://www.movetoperth.com/info/subu...b_browser.html
to see more detailed profiles of some of these suburbs (not wanneroo itself yet i'm afraid) and plenty of photos.

Lynn
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:04 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. I'm looking at Clarkson which is equally as sandy, but has a newly built railway station. So I'm no judge. Hehe!

Paul[/QUOTE]

Paul

if you want some inside info on Clarkson and around there send me a pm.

Lynn
Old May 3rd 2005, 2:28 pm
UK Bound

Originally Posted by movetoperth.com
Wanneroo covers a large area although many original areas have now been renamed, Sinagra and Ashby are both areas which used to be part of Wanneroo but are now classed as suburbs in their own right. Wanneroo is an area to be cautious of, there are many nice parts and also many areas where homes are on larger country style blocks, look up Pinjar road towards Banksia Grove and behind Sinagra and Ashby there are some lovely homes, but in the central part of Wanneroo you will find a lot of older housing and also a fair amount of associaltion housing, which may put some people off.

From Wanneroo you will still hit the surf in 15mins, you will be in the city in 25 (off peak) you will be at a railway station in under 10 mins no matter where in Wanneroo you stay. If you do decide to look at property there, spend plenty time in the area, walk around, talk to people, spend time in the parks after school or on the weekend, listen to the kids, go into the shops and ask people where to avoid.

Yes Wanneroo has problems but it is hard to find an established suburb that doesn't and thats not just in WA! In an established suburb you are going to get a huge mix of people, some good, some not.

From a personal viewpoint if i was going to buy in Wanneroo i'd look at the new area on the Lake Joondalup side of Wanneroo Rd, or one of the estates from Carramar to Sinagra, where you have the combination of the new house not to far from the facilities of Wanneroo. But if i was going to look inland i'd go for parts of Ballajura.

Have a nosey at the suburb profiles here http://www.movetoperth.com/info/subu...b_browser.html
to see more detailed profiles of some of these suburbs (not wanneroo itself yet i'm afraid) and plenty of photos.

Lynn
Thanks Lynn. I´m one step ahead of you though, as I have been looking at "movetoperth" for some time now, and have found it really helpful. Very good site with good photos. We will certainly have a thorough look around, especially in the areas you mention. We will be renting for a while so plenty of time to check out as many WA suburbs as we can. Hopefully we will be there by the end of the year, depending on house sale etc. (the usual things)

Theresa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.