Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

are wall and ceiling lights worth taking?

are wall and ceiling lights worth taking?

Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute
Default are wall and ceiling lights worth taking?

Hi all,

We are at the getting shipping companies around for quotes stage, have got a question about light fittings- is the wiring the same in UK as it is in Oz? ie: i would like to take a couple of my ceiling and wall lights but obviously am not if they are not compatible (I am aware that they will have to be wired in by a qualified sparky).

Any advice would be good thanks

little bear x
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: are wall and ceiling lights worth taking?

Originally Posted by little bear
Hi all,

We are at the getting shipping companies around for quotes stage, have got a question about light fittings- is the wiring the same in UK as it is in Oz? ie: i would like to take a couple of my ceiling and wall lights but obviously am not if they are not compatible (I am aware that they will have to be wired in by a qualified sparky).

little bear x
???? unless there made out of diamonds i probally wouldnt bother
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

little bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond reputelittle bear has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jez & Lorraine
???? unless there made out of diamonds i probally wouldnt bother
unfortunately not made of diamonds (what a lovely thought though!!!!) but one was a present from my mum.

also while i'm back on, i would highly recommend John Masons, so far they have been really professional and very helpful and although they were the best price wise (out of 4 companies) we still would've chosen them.

little bear x
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

conat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

little bear x
As J&L said unless you are very attached to them them I would not. We will be leaving ours for our house buyers.

Possibility of breakages, re-wiring, suitability to new house, will it be worth it?

Good luck
Old Aug 18th 2006, 5:40 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

little bear x
You are surely having yourself a bubble bath there young man!!!!!!

Cost more to ship em than buy new probs!!!

Do what we're doing....bin everything and start afresh!! After all, it's all about a new start, who wants the same ol' bloody lights hangin around! (prob have the same spiders and cobwebs hanging from em as well!)
Old Aug 18th 2006, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
You are surely having yourself a bubble bath there young man!!!!!!

Cost more to ship em than buy new probs!!!

Do what we're doing....bin everything and start afresh!! After all, it's all about a new start, who wants the same ol' bloody lights hangin around! (prob have the same spiders and cobwebs hanging from em as well!)
am attatched to the dead spiders and cobwebs!!!!! LOL
Old Aug 18th 2006, 6:28 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

little bear x
electrically they are ok
as both the UK and oz use 240v 50Hz

but unless they are really expensive or like you said hold some personal memories i wouldn't bother
Old Aug 18th 2006, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light

unfortunately not made of diamonds (what a lovely thought though!!!!) but one was a present from my mum.

also while i'm back on, i would highly recommend John Masons, so far they have been really professional and very helpful and although they were the best price wise (out of 4 companies) we still would've chosen them.

little bear x

weve booked excess baggage for our stuff, we are selling all the big stuff but shipping some personal stuff, what ever doesnt sell off to the house clearance lads it goes...most of it has seen its best to be honest and is due for renewal anyway.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by steve`o
electrically they are ok
as both the UK and oz use 240v 50Hz

but unless they are really expensive or like you said hold some personal memories i wouldn't bother
cheers,

will see how it works out when closer to the time i think, but nice to know there is a choice-we are having a 40ft container on account of having bucket loads of stuff!!

little bear x
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:38 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

little bear x
I think you would have to pay to replace them, so wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the exercise or would you leave them for the next person to replace? Wouldn't it also deminish the sale price of the property?
What about taking the kitchen sink?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 8:54 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Bloke
I think you would have to pay to replace them, so wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the exercise or would you leave them for the next person to replace? Wouldn't it also deminish the sale price of the property?
and the plug
Attached Thumbnails are wall and ceiling lights worth taking?-2324686697.jpg  
Old Aug 19th 2006, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

I had a really nice light in Uk that cost quite a lot which I was going to leave. Ended up bringing it and am glad I did. Brother in law is a sparky and only took 5 mins to put it up. If you've got room bring everything you think you might use, you're paying for the container anyway.

JO
Old Aug 21st 2006, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: are wall and ceiling lights worth taking?

Originally Posted by The Bloke
nah, thought i might leave the kitchen sink (& plug!!!), would only need to replace with ceiling pendant -not a prob to change as hubby can do, i am thinking that if we are paying for a 40ft container and i actually do like my light fittings then why not take them, have read thr odd posts of 'wish i had taken them' (not just light fittings) on here and poms in perth. Thanks for objective views though always helpful to get other opinions.

little bear x

ps cheers Jo
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

If you can take them down and put ceiling roses in without it costing an arm and a leg I'd bring any you really like.

My BIL took all my good ones down from the UK and while living at the rental with lots of boxes I thought I was mad.

When we bought our own place though with some lovely paper shades and wagon wheel chalet style, and amber glazed wooden chandeliers - well I was very glad not to have to go buy more than we had to.

A couple of ours needed earthing because the house was so old but it really saved us a fortune, but otherwise all work fine over here. Bulbs (or globes as they're known here) have the same fittings.

If you've space and think you may need or want something again then why not bring it. One of the few things I didn't bring was many hangers and then found they don't give them away with new clothes - they cost $3 for 12 smallish plastic ones and $14 for the same number of proper wooden one. Sorry - little things get to me.
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

bushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura aboutbushy has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: are wall and ceiling lights worth taking?

Yeah I'm gonna bring 2 of my light fittings.They were fairly pricey but mostly I just really like 'em and I know that the house we'll be in over there has only got naff light shades!
Won't bother with the matching wall lights tho' but will miss them!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.